PDA

View Full Version : Re: Giant (the make!) frame sizes

Phillip T. Murphy
July 11th 03, 06:07 PM
"Jaz" > wrote in message
> Hi,

> My question is, does someone with a little experience with Giant hardtails
> have any comments on the frame size? Are they 'normal' or do they tend to
be
> larger than other manufacturers etc.
>
> I'm about 5'9 (maybe just shy of) with about 30" inseam. I have the choice
> between a 17" and 19" model. I'm thinking the 17" would be most
appropriate
> (I'm a weekend warrior but need it for road use a little too).

I just went into my LBS yesterday and sat on the Giant Bikes. I am also 5'
9" and have a 30" inseam. The dealer suggested the 19" for me.

By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?

Thanks,

Phillip

Chris
July 11th 03, 08:25 PM
"Phillip T. Murphy" > wrote in message

> By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phillip

From the original post:

"I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK."

Chris

Phillip T. Murphy
July 11th 03, 09:40 PM

> > By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Phillip
> >

> From the original post:
>
> "I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
> me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
> online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK."
>
> Chris

Chris, I think you misunderstood my post. WHERE are you considering buying
Giant on line? I would like to go to the site and do some price comparison
and shopping.

Thanks,

Mathijs Brands
July 11th 03, 09:44 PM
In article k.net>, Chris wrote:

> "Phillip T. Murphy" > wrote in message
>

>> By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phillip
>>

> From the original post:
>
> "I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
> me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
> online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK."

Where, not why, hmm ;)

Cheers,

Mathijs

July 12th 03, 12:58 AM
"Jaz" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a cheapish Giant hardtail (something along the lines
> of a Rincon or Yukon). I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
> me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
> online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK.
>
> My question is, does someone with a little experience with Giant hardtails
> have any comments on the frame size? Are they 'normal' or do they tend to be
> larger than other manufacturers etc.
>
> I'm about 5'9 (maybe just shy of) with about 30" inseam. I have the choice
> between a 17" and 19" model. I'm thinking the 17" would be most appropriate
> (I'm a weekend warrior but need it for road use a little too).
>
> Any comments? I realise going to a bike shop is the best solution but even
> my "local" bike shops (60-70km away) don't have Giants so I'm just going to
> order online and be done with it.
>
> Would like some advice before I do tho :)
>
> Thanks guys/gals,
> Jaz

I'm 5' 11" with a 34 inseam and ride a Giant 19" frame.

mitchell mandell
July 12th 03, 02:14 AM
Hey I ride a yukon. 2004 Model its excellent value (good
beginners/intermediate bike) . Im over 100% happy with mine Nice geo's
(super tough) Longer top tube. feels nice with the lay back risers. (feel
more in control) i am 5'6 I got the 17" frame..

my brother tried the 19" frame it was perfect. hes about 6'1... But he has
long legs the Lay back riser i think may have caused probs with his knees
touching...i would probably recommend the 19"

im going to go ride mine now. i cant seem to get off it.

Chris
July 12th 03, 05:36 AM
"Phillip T. Murphy" > wrote in message

> Chris, I think you misunderstood my post. WHERE are you considering
buying
> Giant on line? I would like to go to the site and do some price
comparison
> and shopping.

Yes, yes...too many beers with a very late lunch, and I read "why." Sorry.

Chris

Westie
July 12th 03, 06:22 AM
"Jaz" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a cheapish Giant hardtail (something along the lines
> of a Rincon or Yukon). I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage
for
> me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
> online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK.
>
> My question is, does someone with a little experience with Giant hardtails
> have any comments on the frame size? Are they 'normal' or do they tend to
be
> larger than other manufacturers etc.
>
> I'm about 5'9 (maybe just shy of) with about 30" inseam. I have the choice
> between a 17" and 19" model. I'm thinking the 17" would be most
appropriate
> (I'm a weekend warrior but need it for road use a little too).
>
> Any comments? I realise going to a bike shop is the best solution but even
> my "local" bike shops (60-70km away) don't have Giants so I'm just going
> order online and be done with it.
>
> Would like some advice before I do tho :)
>
> Thanks guys/gals,
> Jaz

I've got an NRS in an 18.5 size. It's full suspension. I'm 5'7" with a
30" or thereabouts inseam. Fits well although it's on the larger size for
me with not so much standover clearance. I tried the 16.5 but the length up
top didn't feel right for me. I 'd probably go for the 17 if I were you.
--
Westie

Jaz
July 13th 03, 02:47 PM
> By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phillip

Hi,

I'm in the UK so this probably won't be a lot of use to you, but there are
quite a few places online to purchase them here... dalescycles.com is where
I'm looking at, at the moment.

When you sat on the 19" models, what sort of clearance did you have over the
top bar?

Cheers,
Jaz

Jaz
July 13th 03, 02:50 PM
> One thing I'm curious about. Giant does not allow its dealers to sell
> online. It is specifically prohibited in the dealer agreement. This
leads
> me to suspect you are about to buy an older model and/or used bike. Once
> you have it in hand, it is well worth the trip to the LBS to get it
> inspected, assembled, etc.

I'm in the UK so I suspect Giant's rules for online sales are different over
here? There are quite a lot of UK dealers who sell online so I'd suspect
it's OK.

Any idea why Giant prohibit this in the states?

Jaz

Nelson Binch
July 14th 03, 12:17 PM
"Ben" > wrote in message
| On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:50:12 +0100, "Jaz" > wrote:
|
| >> One thing I'm curious about. Giant does not allow its dealers to sell
| >> online. It is specifically prohibited in the dealer agreement. This
| >leads
| >> me to suspect you are about to buy an older model and/or used bike.
Once
| >> you have it in hand, it is well worth the trip to the LBS to get it
| >> inspected, assembled, etc.
| >
| >I'm in the UK so I suspect Giant's rules for online sales are different
over
| >here? There are quite a lot of UK dealers who sell online so I'd suspect
| >it's OK.
|
| In the UK it's probably down to the competition laws, stuff like
| you're not allowed to price-fix etc.
|
| >Any idea why Giant prohibit this in the states?
|
| Lawsuits maybe? Giant might be afraid of Joe Bloggs not setting up
| his mail-order bike properly, having an accident and then suing them.
| By making the LBS sell them 'in person' as it were, they ensure
| they're properly set up.

Giant appears to be extremely concious of liability. Their bikes come
festooned with a multitude of "Warning" stickers on the frame, the stem, the
seatpost, the brake levers and the brakes themselves. If I was a consumer,
I'd be scared to death with so many warnings all over.

However, it has far more to do with Giant keeping control over their prices
in the US. Yes, it is illegal to price fix, but the remedy is to take a
company to court and almost all of their customers are independent bike
dealers who can't afford to "Rock the boat" that way. Giant gives their
dealers a range of prices and you are supposed to sell them in that range
(within the current model year) or they can refuse to sell to you. They
claim this is to protect competing dealers from cutthroating each other, but
it is in reality price fixing. Giant isn't the only company to do it, it's
done by every bike company I've dealt with.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.