PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Eggbeater Pedals

Me
July 12th 03, 03:09 PM
Hi, I have the origional version of CrankBros Eggbeater (ie not the Ti or
the Look version) pedals which are about 3 months old now.

The left pedal starting clicking a couple weeks ago whenever I put weight
on it. At first I thought it was my BB so I tightend that, Then I thought it
was my crank, so I tightened that. Then I replaced my pedal with an old spd
and no clicking.

So I took the pedal apart (easy, one bolt) put new grease in and tightened
it up. This stopped it clicking for about a half an hours ride.

Now whenever I tighten up the little bolt, I can keep it clicking for about
15 minutes but then it starts again.

I've written to crankbros and they were helpful and said I could just send
em the pedal and they would sort it out for me, unfortunatley, I'm living in
the UK for the next year so its a little difficult.

Anyone have any tips on sorting out eggbeaters? Would the eggbeater rebuild
kit help? If so, think I could go for more than 3 months before having to do
it again?

I love the pedals and hope someone can give me some tech info on how to
eliminated that most annoying of clicks!

cheers

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 13th 03, 12:24 AM
> I've ridden the new pedals for 4 months with no signs of bearing/bushing
> failure.

Does CB still sell the 2002 model as the egg beater S or the chrome egg
beater?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

David Kunz
July 13th 03, 11:16 AM
Me wrote:
> Hi, I have the origional version of CrankBros Eggbeater (ie not the Ti or
> the Look version) pedals which are about 3 months old now.
>
> The left pedal starting clicking a couple weeks ago whenever I put weight
> on it. At first I thought it was my BB so I tightend that, Then I thought it
> was my crank, so I tightened that. Then I replaced my pedal with an old spd
> and no clicking.
>
> So I took the pedal apart (easy, one bolt) put new grease in and tightened
> it up. This stopped it clicking for about a half an hours ride.
>
> Now whenever I tighten up the little bolt, I can keep it clicking for about
> 15 minutes but then it starts again.
>
> I've written to crankbros and they were helpful and said I could just send
> em the pedal and they would sort it out for me, unfortunatley, I'm living in
> the UK for the next year so its a little difficult.
>
> Anyone have any tips on sorting out eggbeaters? Would the eggbeater rebuild
> kit help? If so, think I could go for more than 3 months before having to do
> it again?
>
> I love the pedals and hope someone can give me some tech info on how to
> eliminated that most annoying of clicks!
>
> cheers

I'd try a rebuild. The kit's US$15 and easy to install. I'm
considering whether to bite the bullet and get a 2003 myself -- or maybe
the Look version, since I don't trust nylon bushings where they're using
them and I'm pretty sure that the Look's use bearings all around (I
checked the 2003 CrankBros and they still use nylon bushings for the
inner bearing).

David

Me
July 13th 03, 09:58 PM
yeah, suppose I'll have to, I'm still hoping someone can tell me if they
think its the bearing making that noise or the bushing, that way I could try
to replace either without the full kit.

any more suggestions?

-cheers,

jason
"David Kunz" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> Me wrote:
> > Hi, I have the origional version of CrankBros Eggbeater (ie not the Ti
or
> > the Look version) pedals which are about 3 months old now.
> >
> > The left pedal starting clicking a couple weeks ago whenever I put
weight
> > on it. At first I thought it was my BB so I tightend that, Then I
thought it
> > was my crank, so I tightened that. Then I replaced my pedal with an old
spd
> > and no clicking.
> >
> > So I took the pedal apart (easy, one bolt) put new grease in and
tightened
> > it up. This stopped it clicking for about a half an hours ride.
> >
> > Now whenever I tighten up the little bolt, I can keep it clicking for
about
> > 15 minutes but then it starts again.
> >
> > I've written to crankbros and they were helpful and said I could just
send
> > em the pedal and they would sort it out for me, unfortunatley, I'm
living in
> > the UK for the next year so its a little difficult.
> >
> > Anyone have any tips on sorting out eggbeaters? Would the eggbeater
rebuild
> > kit help? If so, think I could go for more than 3 months before having
to do
> > it again?
> >
> > I love the pedals and hope someone can give me some tech info on how to
> > eliminated that most annoying of clicks!
> >
> > cheers
> >

> I'd try a rebuild. The kit's US$15 and easy to install. I'm
> considering whether to bite the bullet and get a 2003 myself -- or maybe
> the Look version, since I don't trust nylon bushings where they're using
> them and I'm pretty sure that the Look's use bearings all around (I
> checked the 2003 CrankBros and they still use nylon bushings for the
> inner bearing).
>
> David

Me
July 14th 03, 10:22 PM
Ahh, damn good suggestion. I suppose if I keep track of what was orig in
each pedal than I can also eliminate bearings / bushing from the problem.

Thanks!

Anyone have the directions that crank bros sends out with the pedal overhaul
kits?

They would come in handy but I cant find any on their site and the
distributer in the UK doesn't answer my emails...

-cheers

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home