PDA

View Full Version : Daily Riding (new thread)

higb
July 13th 03, 08:16 PM
Alan suggests a new thread (below), so here goes ...

Alan McClure > wrote:
> "higb" > wrote:

>> [story of back pain, and daily rides]

>> I'm curious about this story because it (and other threads) talk about
>> riding every day. I'm not in shape for that now (I know my back and
>> neck couldn't take it, among other things), and I'm not sure I ever
>> have been. Even when I was riding a lot (for me), it was a couple 2
>> or 3 hour rides during the week, and a 3-4 hour ride on the weekend.
>> I felt like I needed those off days in-between, and maybe should have
>> taken more to keep from tearing down my legs (I'm a skinny guy).
>>
>> Right now I do a ride, 2 off days, another ride .. repeat. I'm thinking
>> that I should make the rides harder (go faster, push toward failure),
>> rather than more frequent. I'm thinking that will help me bulk up
>> my legs.
>>
>> (Right now I do about 1:30 moving time on a loop, and 0:05 stopped time.)
>>
>> I'm curious to hear other people's strategies. I know every "body"
>> is different, but I'd like to hear what kind of rides you do when you
>> go to a daily schedule, and what it does for you.
>>
>> Thanks.

> That is a good question that I have been thinking about(other peoples ride
> schedules). Maybe you should repost this thread as a new thread. I think
> it'll get buried here where no one can see it. But, as an addition, today
> after and hour and twenty minutes, I had no back fatigue at all. So, I'm
> feeling pretty good, and this is after pushing myself pretty hard too. The
> thing about daily riding for me is trying to lose weight. I try to get in
> at least 1-2 hours of riding daily and this is to knock off the 15 pounds
> I've gained over the past year. I would probably ride longer every other
> day if I wasn't as concerned with getting that exercise every day. Anyway,
> as a bonus, I'm getting a lot better technically, etc, so things are working
> out. However, I did notice that after a three day break when I was sick, I
> felt absolutely amazing, so rest is obviously important in terms of recovery
> and performance.

I went on my ride today and felt like crap. It was hot, and I'm only a
couple months in, trying to rebuild after years off (5 or 6? 10? depends
on how much riding you need to do, to call it riding). I guess the
pain now is that it will be a slower slog than that first month or so
of riding, when every ride seemed faster.

Ah well, "Rome wasn't built in a day(*)"

* - if you pass a guy who's saying that out loud, it might be me :-/

sm266
July 13th 03, 10:10 PM
I ride four or five days per week. Usually hour rides. Two
days-intervals. One long ride, and the rest I just go out and play.
When I started riding, I didn't worry so much about how much or how
long. In the end, mtbiking is all about the fun, freedom, and testing
your limits. I'm the only girl in my riding group, and I'm spending
time lifting in the gym to put muscle on my frame (I'm 5'7 and weigh
120lbs) while I shave weight off my bike. My goal is to drop the guys
by next summer. Ride as much as you want, for as long as you want until
you see a goal you have to achieve. Then, you'll know exactly what you
have to do.

higb
July 14th 03, 05:15 PM
sm266 > wrote, in part:
> When I started riding, I didn't worry so much about how much or how
> long. In the end, mtbiking is all about the fun, freedom, and testing
> your limits.

I guess I get kind of A-type about some things :-). It _is_ nice being
out on the bike again.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home