PDA

View Full Version : newbie question: what is "ghost shifting"?

Monique Y. Herman
July 14th 03, 01:06 AM
thanks in advance =)

-- monique

Mark Webb
July 14th 03, 01:21 AM
Ghost shifting is when the gear changes unexpectedly, without actually
having initaited the change.
This typically happens when in certain gears and the tension on the chain
changes, e.g. when starting a climb - most likely when the gears are
slightly mal-adjusted.

I had this start to happen on my bike last year fixed by a service.

Mark

Michael Dart
July 14th 03, 01:42 AM
"Mark Webb" > wrote in message
> Ghost shifting is when the gear changes unexpectedly, without actually
> having initaited the change.
> This typically happens when in certain gears and the tension on the chain
> changes, e.g. when starting a climb - most likely when the gears are
> slightly mal-adjusted.
>
> I had this start to happen on my bike last year fixed by a service.
>
> Mark

That, or on FS bikes when shifts are initiated by suspension action.
Sometimes the cure for this is a continuous length of housing from the
shifter to the rear mech.

Mike

Gary in VA
July 14th 03, 01:38 PM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message

> That, or on FS bikes when shifts are initiated by suspension action.
> Sometimes the cure for this is a continuous length of housing from the
> shifter to the rear mech.
>
> Mike

The first read shifter cable on my FS was too short and every time the shock
compressed it shifted gears. Longer cable housing, no problem now.

Gary in VA

Sorni
July 14th 03, 04:41 PM
om...
> > thanks in advance =)
> >
> > -- monique
>
> Something you don't get on a singlespeed.

Thanks, Wheeler ;-)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home