PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.

shaun
July 14th 03, 09:03 PM
I am in the market for a new bike, under $600. The local Bike shop has a
couple of Diamond Back bikes in it, all models are avalible, really nice guy
owns the store. However My question is, the two topanga's i'm wondering
about have shiamano drive trains, one with a deore, the comp has the "lx"
type, is the LX worth an extra $100 bucks? or with the deore work, for a
newbie like me. I will be riding mostly for plesure, various terain, no
"big" mounds, or rough trails around here. Plus I dont have a truck so I
have to ride it where ever i'm going, so some highway usage too. He said get
he best drivetrain for the money you can, but I dunno if its really feesable
to pay $100 bucks when the other will work just fine for me? TIA

-Shaun

mitchell mandell
July 15th 03, 01:00 AM
shaun > wrote in message
.. .
> I am in the market for a new bike, under $600. The local Bike shop has a
> couple of Diamond Back bikes in it, all models are avalible, really nice
guy
> owns the store. However My question is, the two topanga's i'm wondering
> about have shiamano drive trains, one with a deore, the comp has the "lx"
> type, is the LX worth an extra $100 bucks? or with the deore work, for a
> newbie like me. I will be riding mostly for plesure, various terain, no
> "big" mounds, or rough trails around here. Plus I dont have a truck so I
> have to ride it where ever i'm going, so some highway usage too. He said
get
> he best drivetrain for the money you can, but I dunno if its really
feesable
> to pay $100 bucks when the other will work just fine for me? TIA
>
> -Shaun

Yeah for what your going to be Using it for, I dont see the main Focal point
of dropping another $100 ontop just for a LX drivetrain.

i mean if you were thinking of Racing then yes. go for the Best drive train
for your buck. But I ride Deore. and its Smooth and Fast. Then again if its
$100 for the entire Group Set. I would say. Pay the extra feel the quality.
Get longer life. Cheers.

Greg Smith
July 15th 03, 03:53 AM
Try pricing an entire LX group set off the bike, it is always cheaper to buy
parts on the bike than upgrading later. I didn't think I would need higher
end components on my Trek "I figured I wouldn't be doing any serious off
road either".
So I shopped based on geometry, and ride. I have in the last year and a half
done a complete 180. I've upgraded every major part on my bike, most as they
brake like my BB, and saddle. Other parts when a deal came along like my
Marzocchi's. MTB'ing is a drug. Even if your 50 yrs old you'll start to get
line disease, and pushing your personal limits.
I would definatly go with the LX drive train, you won't be a Newbie forever.
Greg

John Harlow
July 15th 03, 04:26 AM
> I am in the market for a new bike, under $600. The local Bike shop has a
> couple of Diamond Back bikes in it, all models are avalible, really nice
guy
> owns the store. However My question is, the two topanga's i'm wondering
> about have shiamano drive trains, one with a deore, the comp has the "lx"
> type, is the LX worth an extra $100 bucks? or with the deore work, for a
> newbie like me.

One thing to consider is newer riders sometimes quickly wear out - and even
break - drivetrain components as they get used to shifting properly. It
really does take a little while to get it right. It might make sense to use
the deore stuff now (it will work fine) and upgrade your drivetrain later as
you become a more proficient rider.

David Kunz
July 15th 03, 09:57 AM
shaun wrote:
> I am in the market for a new bike, under $600. The local Bike shop has a
> couple of Diamond Back bikes in it, all models are avalible, really nice guy
> owns the store. However My question is, the two topanga's i'm wondering
> about have shiamano drive trains, one with a deore, the comp has the "lx"
> type, is the LX worth an extra $100 bucks? or with the deore work, for a
> newbie like me. I will be riding mostly for plesure, various terain, no
> "big" mounds, or rough trails around here. Plus I dont have a truck so I
> have to ride it where ever i'm going, so some highway usage too. He said get
> he best drivetrain for the money you can, but I dunno if its really feesable
> to pay $100 bucks when the other will work just fine for me? TIA
>
> -Shaun

The difference between Diore and LX is small. The only Diore part that
I didn't like as much as the LX was the shift pods. The rest of the
components are so close that you probably wouldn't notice the
difference. For your riding, Diore should be excellent!

David

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home