PDA

View Full Version : I'd just like to say..

Dave W
July 16th 03, 09:52 PM
For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

Huw Pritchard
July 16th 03, 10:04 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:52:26 -0400, Dave W did issue forth:

> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite, just
> broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles of use.
> The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say again, SRAM
> CHAINS SUCK!

Yeah, well, they're made of plastic, y'see.

Huw "Ah, ah, you know the rest..." Pritchard

Bob M
July 16th 03, 10:10 PM

I've never broken one, although I also haven't broken a ****mano, either.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Rich
July 16th 03, 10:45 PM
Dave W wrote:
> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

Funny, I used to have a lot of probs with the shimano chains, switched
to sram and have good luck ever since, until..... The other day, "just
riding along" with a brand new (2nd or 3rd ride) sram chain and the damn
powerlink snapped! Plus I'd been having a lot of shifting problems with
it.

Now what?

John Morgan
July 17th 03, 01:17 AM
> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

You fool! The chain didn't just break, YOU broke it. As official keeper of
the record, I reject your hastily blurted sweeping generalizations! I've
been running SRAM chains for a few years now with no problems at all. So
there.

-John Morgan

oh... and learn to shift properly next time, and carry a chain tool plus
some spare links.

Sorni
July 17th 03, 01:40 AM
"Rich" > wrote in message
> Dave W wrote:
> > For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
> > just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
> > of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
> > again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!
>
> Funny, I used to have a lot of probs with the shimano chains, switched
> to sram and have good luck ever since, until..... The other day, "just
> riding along" with a brand new (2nd or 3rd ride) sram chain and the damn
> powerlink snapped! Plus I'd been having a lot of shifting problems with
> it.

No offense, but it sure sounds like you didn't have the Powerlink engaged
properly. (Shifting probs would be a symptom of the pieces not fully
"clicked" in place; also could be where you broke the chain to shorten
length.)

When my bike was new, I broke the PC-99 chain very first ride. Hasn't
happened since (2+ years; 3 or 4 chains).

Before that, on the other hand, Shimano chains broke MANY times on me.

YMMV.

Bill

Michael Dart
July 17th 03, 02:33 AM
"Dave W" > wrote in message
> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

Let me guess... you made it too short the first time and added back in some
links.

That's the only reason I've had a SRAM chain break. So it was my own fault.
Other than that I've used them for years with zero trouble on all my bikes.

Mike

Dave W
July 17th 03, 12:08 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:21:33 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" >
wrote:

>> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
>
>SRAM rules! You suck!

Perhaps you didn't hear me correctly, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!!!
You, on the other hand, just blow!

Dave W
July 17th 03, 12:12 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:17:00 -0700, "John Morgan"
> wrote:

>> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
>> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
>> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
>> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!
>
>You fool! The chain didn't just break, YOU broke it.

True, but I've never broke a shimano...Am I truly a badass, and can
break chains with ease. Not hardly. This chain SUCKS, no ands, ifs or
buts about it. I replaced a ****mano, that wa not broken, even after
almost twice the miles on it. So in IMNSHO, THEY SUCK!

As official keeper of
>the record, I reject your hastily blurted sweeping generalizations! I've
>been running SRAM chains for a few years now with no problems at all. So
>there.
>
>-John Morgan
>
>oh... and learn to shift properly next time, and carry a chain tool plus
>some spare links.

Truer words were never spoken about the chain tool. But I DO shift
properly, (read the part about the un-broken ****MANO CHAIN again, if
you're having trouble with the concept) I reit-terate. SRAM CHAINS
SUCK!

Dave W
July 17th 03, 12:14 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:33:27 -0400, "Michael Dart" >
wrote:

>"Dave W" > wrote in message
>> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
>> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
>> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
>> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!
>
>Let me guess... you made it too short the first time and added back in some
>links.
>
>That's the only reason I've had a SRAM chain break. So it was my own fault.
>Other than that I've used them for years with zero trouble on all my bikes.
>
>Mike

Nope, brand new, installed in the spring by my LBS, shifted perfectly
until yesterday. Again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK! (In case you didn't hear it
right the first time ;-)

Dave W
July 17th 03, 12:16 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:29:10 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:

>Dave W > wrote in message
>> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
>> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
>> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
>> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!
>
>Coming from you, that's a recommendation to buy them. The SRAM chains are
>far tougher and longer lived than ****-man-no equivalents.
>
>Learn to maintain your bike and learn to shift, _properly_.
>

>Shaun aRe

Stupid English ****, can't you read. It was a WELL MAINTAINED CHAIN,
BEEN SHIFTING FINE SINCE THE SPRING. SRAM CHAINS SUCK, BOUT AS BAD A
YOU DO!

Shaun Rimmer
July 17th 03, 01:19 PM
Dave W > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:29:10 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> > wrote:
>

> >Dave W > wrote in message
> >> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
> >> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
> >> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
> >> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!
> >
> >Coming from you, that's a recommendation to buy them. The SRAM chains are
> >far tougher and longer lived than ****-man-no equivalents.
> >
> >Learn to maintain your bike and learn to shift, _properly_.
> >

> >Shaun aRe
> >

> Stupid English ****,

Even the stupidest English **** is a genius next to you Oh Mighty King of
all Idiotsville.

> can't you read. It was a WELL MAINTAINED CHAIN,
> BEEN SHIFTING FINE SINCE THE SPRING. SRAM CHAINS SUCK, BOUT AS BAD A
> YOU DO!

That's right - you have one experience that's contrary to nearly everybody
else's experiences, and everybody else must be wrong. This is what I
meanwhen I tell you that you are utterly stupid.

Shaun aRe - one match in a box of 100 fails to light - this of course means
the matches in that box all SUCK! - Feh! Heheheheh.....

Dave
July 17th 03, 03:38 PM
Dave W > wrote in message >...
> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

O.K, a little clarification then. I have NEVER, EVER broken a Shimano
chain. Even back in the ol' BMX day's (late 70's, early 80's) I also
never broke one on my ol' 91' Fuji Del Ray Hybrid that has recently
came back into my possesion.
(Anybody got a line on some ol' Suntour 7 Speed Stuff?)

But I've literally had this chain for barely 3 month's. That tells me
that the product is inferior. Simple as that. So it is my not so
humble opinion that they suck. YMM obviously V, but these are the
facts as I know em. Take it with a grain of salt.

I say SRAM chains SUCK!

Dave
(sweeping Generalizations R-US!)

JD
July 17th 03, 04:26 PM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message >...
> Coming from you, that's a recommendation to buy them. The SRAM chains are
> far tougher and longer lived than ****-man-no equivalents.

Considering the source is always a good idea.

> Learn to maintain your bike and learn to shift, _properly_.

That's like telling a Muslim to eat some bacon.

JD

Shaun Rimmer
July 17th 03, 04:53 PM
JD > wrote in message
om...
> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> > Coming from you, that's a recommendation to buy them. The SRAM chains
are
> > far tougher and longer lived than ****-man-no equivalents.
>
> Considering the source is always a good idea.

Yes. Like taking water from a mountain stream - make sure you're not
downstream from any dead sheep......or summink like that......

> > Learn to maintain your bike and learn to shift, _properly_.
>
> That's like telling a Muslim to eat some bacon.

Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.

Shaun aRe

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 17th 03, 05:44 PM
> Perhaps you didn't hear me correctly, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!!!
> You, on the other hand, just blow!

Oh. Ahem. Well in my experience, SRAM has been great to me, but i'm a
flyweight so maybe that doesn't count.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

P e t e F a g e r l i n
July 17th 03, 06:36 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:16:19 -0400, Dave W > wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:29:10 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:
>

>>Dave W > wrote in message
>>> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
>>> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
>>> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
>>> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!
>>
>>Coming from you, that's a recommendation to buy them. The SRAM chains are
>>far tougher and longer lived than ****-man-no equivalents.
>>
>>Learn to maintain your bike and learn to shift, _properly_.
>>

>>Shaun aRe
>>

>Stupid English ****, can't you read. It was a WELL MAINTAINED CHAIN,
>BEEN SHIFTING FINE SINCE THE SPRING. SRAM CHAINS SUCK, BOUT AS BAD A
>YOU DO!

So much for the hilarious "Dave kissing Rimmer's ass" rountine.

At least it was funny while it lasted.

Dave W
July 18th 03, 02:10 AM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:53:18 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:

>JD > wrote in message
om...
>> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
>> > Coming from you, that's a recommendation to buy them. The SRAM chains
>are
>> > far tougher and longer lived than ****-man-no equivalents.
>>
>> Considering the source is always a good idea.
>
>Yes. Like taking water from a mountain stream - make sure you're not
>downstream from any dead sheep......or summink like that......

or your laundry, right?

>> > Learn to maintain your bike and learn to shift, _properly_.
>>
>> That's like telling a Muslim to eat some bacon.
>
>Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.

So you're saying Muslims minds are secured tightly against common
sense? why, are you some sort of religeous bigot, or SOMETHING?

Dave W
July 18th 03, 02:12 AM
On 17 Jul 2003 15:13:00 -0700, (Spider) wrote:

>"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message >...
>>
>> Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.
>
>Hey now, where's the evidence that he has a mind to begin with?
>
>Spider

hahahaha, well well well, here's Humpty now....

What kept ya'. had to build up the hot air again? You know how I like
the extra steam when you're starching my cuffs

hump, hump....do tha humpty hump ya'll...

Shaun Rimmer
July 18th 03, 08:50 AM
Spider > wrote in message
om...
> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> >
> > Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.
>
> Hey now, where's the evidence that he has a mind to begin with?

Ya gotta point there.......hmmm....

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 18th 03, 08:52 AM
Dave W > wrote in message
> On 17 Jul 2003 15:13:00 -0700, (Spider) wrote:
>
> >"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.
> >
> >Hey now, where's the evidence that he has a mind to begin with?
> >
> >Spider
>
> hahahaha, well well well, here's Humpty now....
>
> What kept ya'. had to build up the hot air again? You know how I like
> the extra steam when you're starching my cuffs
>
> hump, hump....do tha humpty hump ya'll...

That's the funniest thing - when you write that ****, you're emulating your
hero JD, since they're his lines, heheheheh.......

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 18th 03, 08:53 AM
Dave W > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:53:18 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> > wrote:
>

> >JD > wrote in message
> om...
> >are
> >>
> >> Considering the source is always a good idea.
> >
> >Yes. Like taking water from a mountain stream - make sure you're not
> >downstream from any dead sheep......or summink like that......
>
> or your laundry, right?

> >> That's like telling a Muslim to eat some bacon.
> >
> >Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.
> >

> So you're saying Muslims minds are secured tightly against common
> sense? why, are you some sort of religeous bigot, or SOMETHING?

Thanks for proving me right again ya eejit.

Shaun aRe - I keep trying, but I just can't seem to lose.
Heheheheheheh......

spademan o---[\) *
July 18th 03, 12:00 PM
"Dave W" > wrote in message
> For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
> just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
> of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
> again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

I got a bit fed up with the increasing prices of SRAM chains now that
they've taken over sachs. At the recommendation of my LBS I bought a KMC
chain for a fiver, looks solid, works great.

Interestingly the shop that recommended it wasn't the shop that sells pimpy
parts and recommended a pc-99 - 25 quid? for a chain?, but a family-owned
shop.

Steve.

Dave W
July 19th 03, 09:22 AM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:52:05 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:

>Dave W > wrote in message

>> >Hey now, where's the evidence that he has a mind to begin with?
>> >
>> >Spider
>>
>> hahahaha, well well well, here's Humpty now....
>>
>> What kept ya'. had to build up the hot air again? You know how I like
>> the extra steam when you're starching my cuffs
>>
>> hump, hump....do tha humpty hump ya'll...
>
>That's the funniest thing - when you write that ****, you're emulating your
>hero JD, since they're his lines, heheheheh.......
>

>Shaun aRe

NO NO NO, where the hell have you been for the past year. It's not JD,
it's his personal MINI-ME, Spider emulating JD. I am just mimicing
him....

Dave (kinda loses it's punch when ya have to explain it to the stupid
people don't it?)

Dave W
July 19th 03, 09:23 AM
On 18 Jul 2003 14:06:48 -0700, (Spider) wrote:

>Dave W > wrote in message >...

>> >Hey now, where's the evidence that he has a mind to begin with?
>> >
>> >Spider
>>

>[more humping deleted]
>
>Two things Dave:
>
>The "cuff starching " thing is funny when *I* say it - you just look
>like a tool for stealing my material.
>
>And - I was talking to someone other than you.
>
>But you do jump up and down every time I post. That's a good boy.
>
>Roll over! Bark!
>
>Spider

bwwwaaaahaahahaha,

That's about as funny as your haircut......

Dave W
July 19th 03, 09:24 AM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:50:31 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:

>Spider > wrote in message
om...
>> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.
>>
>> Hey now, where's the evidence that he has a mind to begin with?
>
>Ya gotta point there.......hmmm....
>

>Shaun aRe

yea, a pointed head

Dave W
July 19th 03, 09:25 AM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:53:12 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:

>Dave W > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:53:18 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >JD > wrote in message
>> om...
>> >are

>> >Yes. Like taking water from a mountain stream - make sure you're not
>> >downstream from any dead sheep......or summink like that......
>>
>> or your laundry, right?

>> >Indeed - his mind's door is secured tightly against common sense.
>> >

>> So you're saying Muslims minds are secured tightly against common
>> sense? why, are you some sort of religeous bigot, or SOMETHING?
>
>Thanks for proving me right again ya eejit.
>

>Shaun aRe - I keep trying, but I just can't seem to lose.
>Heheheheheheh......

Dude, you've been lost for as long as I can remember...

Shaun Rimmer
July 21st 03, 08:36 AM
Dave W > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:53:12 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> > wrote:
>

> >Dave W > wrote in message
> >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:53:18 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"

> >> om...

> >> or your laundry, right?

> >> So you're saying Muslims minds are secured tightly against common
> >> sense? why, are you some sort of religeous bigot, or SOMETHING?
> >
> >Thanks for proving me right again ya eejit.
> >

> >Shaun aRe - I keep trying, but I just can't seem to lose.
> >Heheheheheheh......
> >

> Dude, you've been lost for as long as I can remember...

5 minutes ago? Heheheheh........

Shaun aRe

Dave W
July 21st 03, 02:02 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:36:01 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:

>Dave W > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:53:12 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
>> > wrote:

>chains

>> >Thanks for proving me right again ya eejit.
>> >

>> >Shaun aRe - I keep trying, but I just can't seem to lose.
>> >Heheheheheheh......
>> >

>> Dude, you've been lost for as long as I can remember...
>

>5 minutes ago? Heheheheh........
>

>Shaun aRe

Yeah, I've made it through 40 yrs of life only being able to remember
the last 5 mins. (Actually sounds like a good idea!)

Shaun Rimmer
July 21st 03, 02:51 PM
Dave W > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:36:01 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> > wrote:

> >> Dude, you've been lost for as long as I can remember...
> >

> >5 minutes ago? Heheheheh........
> >

> >Shaun aRe
>
> Yeah, I've made it through 40 yrs of life only being able to remember
> the last 5 mins.

That much is obvious.

Shaun aRe

Spider
July 21st 03, 04:40 PM
Dave W > wrote in message >...
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:52:05 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> > wrote:
>

> >Dave W > wrote in message

> >> hahahaha, well well well, here's Humpty now....
> >>
> >> What kept ya'. had to build up the hot air again? You know how I like
> >> the extra steam when you're starching my cuffs
> >>
> >> hump, hump....do tha humpty hump ya'll...
> >
> >That's the funniest thing - when you write that ****, you're emulating your
> >hero JD, since they're his lines, heheheheh.......
> >

> >Shaun aRe
> >

> NO NO NO, where the hell have you been for the past year. It's not JD,
> it's his personal MINI-ME, Spider emulating JD. I am just mimicing
> him....

LOL. Just when I thought you couldn't type anything dumber, you go
and prove me wrong.

You're nothing if not ironic. Well, you're nothing, that's for sure.

> Dave (kinda loses it's punch when ya have to explain it to the stupid
> people don't it?)

More irony. Classic.

Spider

ClydesdaleMTB
July 21st 03, 05:39 PM
Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>>Dude, you've been lost for as long as I can remember...
> 5 minutes ago? Heheheheh........

Duuude, focus, dude.... fooocuuuus.

--
John G.