PDA

View Full Version : An issue with patch kits.

Carla A-G
July 17th 03, 02:17 PM
Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of patches.
You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube of
glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.

Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
they give you?

More musings to follow...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
July 17th 03, 02:21 PM
Carla A-G wrote:

> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>
> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> they give you?
>
> More musings to follow...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

I've been cutting some in half, most holes are pretty small.

Alan McClure
July 17th 03, 02:23 PM
"Carla A-G" > wrote in message
> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>
> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> they give you?
>
> More musings to follow...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On a different note: Are the patch kits with glue significantly stronger
than the glueless self sticking patches? I have a couple on my rear tube,
and have had for about a month now. They have held so far.....

A.

Shaun Rimmer
July 17th 03, 02:37 PM
Carla A-G > wrote in message
> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>
> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> they give you?
>
> More musings to follow...

It's in case you shoot 3/4 of the glue across the floor when you first
pierce the foil seal.......ahem.

Shaun aRe - Obverously - duh!

Chris
July 17th 03, 03:35 PM
"Carla A-G" > wrote in message
> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>
> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> they give you?
>
> More musings to follow...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Martha Stewart says when you do retire a tube, patched or not, cut circles
out of the remaining good parts to use as patches on the new tubes. Then,
use the remaining leftover glue you have lying around.

Re-using old tubes: it's a good thing.

Chris

Sorni
July 17th 03, 03:58 PM
"Carla A-G" > wrote in message
> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.

Better than other way around, of course.

I never seem to have glue on hand when I need it. Superglue dries up
immediately once opened, and other types simply disappear.

Maybe I should start buying glue-type patch kits! (I get the cheapie
stick-on ones, and they actually have worked well for me.)

Nearly sorted,

Bill

MattB
July 17th 03, 04:43 PM
"Carla A-G" > wrote in message
> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>
> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> they give you?
>
> More musings to follow...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

The rest is for huffing!

Matt

gabrielle
July 17th 03, 05:38 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:37:55 -0700, Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> It's in case you shoot 3/4 of the glue across the floor when you first
> pierce the foil seal.......ahem.

Quit braggin' rimmah! ;)

gabrielle

bomba
July 17th 03, 05:40 PM
Carla A-G wrote:
> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.

I just sell them to the pikey kids down the skatepark.

bomba - glue pusher

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 17th 03, 05:51 PM
> Re-using old tubes: it's a good thing.

Holy **** - I have tried this so many times. I sanded the tube fragment,
applied the glue, waited to dry, mashed it down, waited overnight, start to
pump, and psssssssssssssssssssssss it goes.

Seriously, has anyone here used the glue with an old inner tube and gotten
it to work? It can't be the florida humidity...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

David
July 17th 03, 09:18 PM
"Alan McClure" > wrote in message news:grxRa.81351$N7.10934@sccrnsc03...

> "Carla A-G" > wrote in message
> > Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
> patches.
> > You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
> of
> > glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.

Email it to me.

> > Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> > they give you?

I bought a box of 100 patches, and have the opposite problem. I bought a small patch kit
this weekend because I was out of glue. I think glue can be ordered seperately like the patches,
but I was out and I bought what I could find.

> > More musings to follow...
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> On a different note: Are the patch kits with glue significantly stronger
> than the glueless self sticking patches?

Yes.

> I have a couple on my rear tube,
> and have had for about a month now. They have held so far.....

I carry glueless ones on the trail/road, but if I'm fixing a flat at home, it's with glue.

The glueless type don't stretch well when you inflate the tube to find other leaks. It always
seemed to me that after I had 4 or 5 on a tube, it was guaranteed to leak from at least one.
I tried many brands. Some better than others, but none were good.

Oh, and IIRC it's hard or impossible to get a real patch on securely after the glueless one has come off
or started to leak. Too much "glueless" scooge remains on the tube. The one time I remember doing it
was on a 100PSI front tire, and it came off at the bottom of a steep hill. Couldda been bad, but wasn't.

David

David Kunz
July 17th 03, 10:24 PM
Alan McClure wrote:
> "Carla A-G" > wrote in message
>
>>Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
>
> patches.
>
>>You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
>
> of
>
>>glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>>
>>Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
>>they give you?
>>
>>More musings to follow...
>>
>>- CA-G
>>
>>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>

> On a different note: Are the patch kits with glue significantly stronger
> than the glueless self sticking patches? I have a couple on my rear tube,
> and have had for about a month now. They have held so far.....

Yes. The glueless ones will hold on a low pressure mountain tire -- the
good ones *usually* hold the life of the tube. But, the glue patches
always hold the life of the time and will hold road tire pressure (not
that you want that on your mtn bike :)).

David

David Kunz
July 17th 03, 10:25 PM
Rich wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
>
>> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
>> patches.
>> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the
>> tube of
>> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>>
>> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
>> they give you?
>>
>> More musings to follow...
>>
>> - CA-G
>>
>> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>

> oh oh oh oh!! send em to me!!! send em to me!!!
> I don't get a lot of flats, so by the time I get to the 3rd or 4th patch
> the glue has dried up. I have dozens of patches and currently only one
> precious tube of glue. Maybe we could work out a trade.

Squeeze the extra air out of the tube before capping it and it will
(usually) not dry up :). (Got that trick here).

David

gabrielle
July 18th 03, 03:04 AM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:17:09 -0700, Carla A-G wrote:

> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue
> that they give you?

Perhaps they're in league with the hot dog/bun manufacturers?

gabrielle

Dave W
July 18th 03, 04:48 AM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:17:09 -0400, "Carla A-G"
> wrote:

>Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of patches.
>You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube of
>glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>
>Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
>they give you?
>
>More musings to follow...
>
>- CA-G
>
>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

You could send it to Rimmer, he seems to like huffing airplane glue,
or summink...

Dave

Shaun Rimmer
July 18th 03, 12:09 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training > wrote in message
> > Re-using old tubes: it's a good thing.
>
> Holy **** - I have tried this so many times. I sanded the tube fragment,
> applied the glue, waited to dry, mashed it down, waited overnight, start
> pump, and psssssssssssssssssssssss it goes.
>
> Seriously, has anyone here used the glue with an old inner tube and gotten
> it to work? It can't be the florida humidity...

Yup - many times! _Never_ once had one break free ',;~}~

I just cut a piece off bigger than I need, rub the underside on
rock/pavement (better than the sandpaper IME), cut down to correct size (to
keep the best abraded centre part of the 'patch') do the same to the tube,
_rub_ plenty of glue into both surfaces, let it dry, maybe repeat, then
stick. 5 mins tops.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 18th 03, 12:22 PM
Dave W > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:17:09 -0400, "Carla A-G"
> > wrote:
>
> >Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
patches.
> >You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
of
> >glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
> >
> >Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> >they give you?
> >
> >More musings to follow...
> >
> >- CA-G
> >
> >Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> You could send it to Rimmer, he seems to like huffing airplane glue,
> or summink...

Davey - call the fire dept. quick - you're arse is on fire.

Shaun aRe

Small Black Dog
July 18th 03, 07:58 PM
> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
patches.
> You wind up using all the patches and are left over with 3/4 of the tube
of
> glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can think of what to do.
>
> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue that
> they give you?

Why is everyone calling it glue?

Small Black Dog

Penny S.
July 18th 03, 08:05 PM
Small Black Dog scribbled :
>> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
>> patches. You wind up using all the patches and are left over with
>> 3/4 of the tube of glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can
>> think of what to do.
>>
>> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue
>> that they give you?
>
> Why is everyone calling it glue?
>
> Small Black Dog

well what is it if it isn't glue? Adhesive?

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 19th 03, 01:05 AM
> Yup - many times! _Never_ once had one break free ',;~}~
>
> I just cut a piece off bigger than I need, rub the underside on
> rock/pavement (better than the sandpaper IME), cut down to correct size
> keep the best abraded centre part of the 'patch') do the same to the tube,
> _rub_ plenty of glue into both surfaces, let it dry, maybe repeat, then
> stick. 5 mins tops.

Prolly doesn't work cuz I'm an 'merkin. Will try again soon.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

David
July 19th 03, 03:50 AM
"(Pete Cresswell)" > wrote in message ...
> RE/
> >I bought a box of 100 patches, and have the opposite problem.
> Where?

From 3rd hand:

http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tire/Tube&sc=Repair&tc=&item_id=RE-F1P&id=784051814248

I see glue there too:
http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?c=Tire/Tube&sc=Repair&id=784051814248

David
July 19th 03, 03:52 AM
"David" > wrote in message ...

> I see glue there too:
> http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?c=Tire/Tube&sc=Repair&id=784051814248

Although it's only 10 cents more to buy a patch kit with the same 5g tube of glue.

John Morgan
July 19th 03, 05:02 AM
I think what he's looking for is "vulcanizing fluid."

At least that's what my tube of glue says on it.

-John Morgan

John Morgan
July 19th 03, 05:05 AM
The shop I work at sells sheets of 10 patches for $2.00, or a patch kit with
6 patches + 1 tube of glue for the same price. Oh, and for those of you who
run out of glue first, we also sell seperate tubes of glue! =P

I thought it was a great idea, since I also always run out of patches before
glue.

-John Morgan

David Kunz
July 19th 03, 10:30 AM
John Morgan wrote:
> I think what he's looking for is "vulcanizing fluid."
>
> At least that's what my tube of glue says on it.
>
> -John Morgan

Also called patch cement and rubber cement (although why I want CEMENT
in my tube, I have no idea :)).

David

James Messick
July 19th 03, 09:47 PM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> gabrielle > wrote in message
> news:pan.2003.07.17.16.38.17.916763.26890@nothanks .gorge.net...
> > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:37:55 -0700, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >
> > > It's in case you shoot 3/4 of the glue across the floor when you first
> > > pierce the foil seal.......ahem.
> >
> > Quit braggin' rimmah! ;)
>
> So what - I can't help it if I shoot like a porn star ',;~}~

Sounds like a case of premature adhesivication.

Shaun Rimmer
July 21st 03, 12:41 PM
Penny S. > wrote in message
> Small Black Dog scribbled :
> >> Why is it when you buy a patch kit, they give only you a couple of
> >> patches. You wind up using all the patches and are left over with
> >> 3/4 of the tube of glue. We have more tubes of glue than we can
> >> think of what to do.
> >>
> >> Why can't they just include more patches equal to the amount of glue
> >> that they give you?
> >
> > Why is everyone calling it glue?
> >
> > Small Black Dog
>
> well what is it if it isn't glue? Adhesive?
>
> 1¢

'Vulcanising rubber solution' - HTH!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 21st 03, 12:42 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training > wrote in message
. com...
> > Yup - many times! _Never_ once had one break free ',;~}~
> >
> > I just cut a piece off bigger than I need, rub the underside on
> > rock/pavement (better than the sandpaper IME), cut down to correct size
> > keep the best abraded centre part of the 'patch') do the same to the
tube,
> > _rub_ plenty of glue into both surfaces, let it dry, maybe repeat, then
> > stick. 5 mins tops.
>
> Prolly doesn't work cuz I'm an 'merkin.

Ah, yes - it's well known that tubes can't be used to patch holes in pubic
wigs.

> Will try again soon.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 21st 03, 12:43 PM
James Messick > wrote in message
. com...

> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> >
> > gabrielle > wrote in message
> > news:pan.2003.07.17.16.38.17.916763.26890@nothanks .gorge.net...

> > > Quit braggin' rimmah! ;)
> >
> > So what - I can't help it if I shoot like a porn star ',;~}~
>
> Sounds like a case of premature adhesivication.

Try KY.

Shaun aRe

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home