PDA

View Full Version : Re: RR: Flagstaff AZ - Mt. Elden

Pete Jones
July 21st 03, 07:19 AM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:13:06 -0700, "John Morgan"
> blathered:

>I woke up early this morning and drove the 2.5 hours to Flagstaff
>We took the dirt road that leads to the top of Mt.
>Elden. Flagstaff is at about 7000 feet elevation, and by the time we were
>done with the climb we were at over 9000 feet.

I spent a few days at Flagstaff in September 2001, doing the Sunset
Trail Loop you describe plus a couple of others. The climbing wasn't
too bad, although I wasn't acclimatised to the altitude so found
myself getting a bit breathless. The trails were good but it was
snakebite city, at least with the rear tyre I was using; after buying
a new tyre and tubes I was OK for subsequent riding in Durango &
Crested Butte.

Cosmic Ray's book seemed a pretty good shakedown on the trails on the
mountain.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Paladin
July 21st 03, 06:14 PM
"John Morgan" > wrote in message news:<6PISa.23152$zy.17478@fed1read06>...
> I woke up early this morning and drove the 2.5 hours to Flagstaff to meet up
> with some friends for some cooler weather riding. I had no idea where we
> planned to ride in Flagstaff, I only wanted to escape the 115 degree heat.
> It's an amazing trail. There were several turnoffs, all leading to
> different places I'm sure, but I didn't really have time to examine the
> signs. =) I highly recommend this to anyone looking for some fast forest
> riding. There were some people riding up the way we were going down, but
> this would be even more difficult than riding up on the dirt road. The dirt
> road took almost 2 hours and it was smooth. Coming down took about 45
> minutes (including the tire change and scenic stops).
>
> -John Morgan

Sounds like a blast. I didn't realize Flagstaff was so high. So how
was the walk out after the owwie to the rim?

Paladin

John Morgan
July 21st 03, 07:34 PM
> Sounds like a blast. I didn't realize Flagstaff was so high. So how
> was the walk out after the owwie to the rim?
>
> Paladin

Well, I was able to ride out, but it was difficult to get the tire on before
inflation. I don't trust this rim after taking that kind of a beating, and
how am I supposed to brake in the rear anymore? lol.

I will have the mechanics try to repair it, but if that fails, I'll just buy
a new hoop.

-John Morgan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home