PDA

View Full Version : Dent in frame

Neil Guthrie
July 21st 03, 02:53 PM
I just dented (inward dent) my Aluminum M4 frame. The dent is about the
size of a quarter and is located about halfway along the top tube.

Obviously the frame resale value just plummeted but I'm more concerned about
safety and frame integrity. Any comments?

I know that if the frame were to break, it would not come under warranty.
Can someome explain to me how a frame replacement program works? Do you get
a deal on one?

Also...I'm 6'3 about 200 pounds...is steel a better choice for me? I mainly
do x-country. Weight, to a certain point, is not something I worry about
too much.

Thanks,

SC

bloocow
July 21st 03, 04:01 PM
"Neil Guthrie" > wrote in message
> I just dented (inward dent) my Aluminum M4 frame. The dent is about the
> size of a quarter and is located about halfway along the top tube.
>
> Obviously the frame resale value just plummeted but I'm more concerned
about
> safety and frame integrity. Any comments?
>
> I know that if the frame were to break, it would not come under warranty.
> Can someome explain to me how a frame replacement program works? Do you
get
> a deal on one?
>
> Also...I'm 6'3 about 200 pounds...is steel a better choice for me? I
mainly
> do x-country. Weight, to a certain point, is not something I worry about
> too much.

Friend of mine also got a dent about that size along the middle of the top
tube on his Giant XTC. That frame is already quite lightweight and my friend
is quite heavily built but the frames been through a couple of xc races
since and no problems yet. Silliest thing was, his bike was parked
stationary with another Giant XTC and both accidentally fell. My friend's
top tube landed against the handlebar edge of the other XTC.

bloocow

B. Sanders
July 21st 03, 05:26 PM
"Neil Guthrie" > wrote in message
> I just dented (inward dent) my Aluminum M4 frame. The dent is about the
> size of a quarter and is located about halfway along the top tube.
>
> Obviously the frame resale value just plummeted but I'm more concerned
about
> safety and frame integrity. Any comments?

A dent of that size won't affect frame strength or longevity significantly.
I had a Klein Attitude Pro frame (2.9 lbs) with a huge, deep dent in the
left chainstay (halfway through the stay). It looked awful; but Klein said
it was no problem, and wouldn't affect frame strength. (A Klein rep checked
it out.)

You should have a Specialized dealer look it over if you're worried. They
can tell you if the frame is a candidate for warranty replacement.
Specialized doesn't want you to suffer injuries from frame failure. They'll
do the right thing. They have a great reputation for customer service.

> I know that if the frame were to break, it would not come under warranty.
> Can someome explain to me how a frame replacement program works? Do you
get
> a deal on one?

I disagree. If the frame is under warranty, and you haven't abused it,
Specialized will likely replace it. Why wouldn't they? The warranty doesn't
say "if you dent it, the deal is off." Dents happen to thinwall frame
tubing. It's commonplace, especially in the exact spot where your frame
dented.

> Also...I'm 6'3 about 200 pounds...is steel a better choice for me? I
mainly
> do x-country. Weight, to a certain point, is not something I worry about
> too much.

Your frame is fine, and well suited to XC riding. I miss my Specialized M2,
which I sold last year. It accelerated like a cheetah with its tail on
fire. I imagine the M4's are at least as good.

Barry

John Morgan
July 21st 03, 07:15 PM
> Your frame is fine, and well suited to XC riding. I miss my Specialized
M2,
> which I sold last year. It accelerated like a cheetah with its tail on
> fire. I imagine the M4's are at least as good.
>
> Barry

LOL -- it's unfortunate that the market is in Freeride Mode right now. The
bicycle companies have to overbuild their frames just for those few people
that want to go extreme, just so they won't break. The new Stumpjumper FSR
(with M4 tubing) weigh about 28 pounds. =(

I'm sure your M2 was more in the range of 24-25 pounds.

-John Morgan

Mark Hickey
July 22nd 03, 02:11 AM
"B. Sanders" > wrote:

>"Neil Guthrie" > wrote
>> I just dented (inward dent) my Aluminum M4 frame. The dent is about the
>> size of a quarter and is located about halfway along the top tube.
>>
>> Obviously the frame resale value just plummeted but I'm more concerned
>about
>> safety and frame integrity. Any comments?
>
>A dent of that size won't affect frame strength or longevity significantly.
>I had a Klein Attitude Pro frame (2.9 lbs) with a huge, deep dent in the
>left chainstay (halfway through the stay). It looked awful; but Klein said
>it was no problem, and wouldn't affect frame strength. (A Klein rep checked
>it out.)

If you're gonna dent a tube, the left chainstay is a pretty good
choice. It's pretty much in compression all the time, and even that
doesn't vary as much as the right chainstay (since you're always
trying to smoosh it with your mighty manly pedaling action).

However, I would be careful about riding any frame with a very large
dent in the top tube. It's impossible to say without seeing it (and
probably impossible even if I did...) how much the integrity of the
frame has been affected. You do NOT want that tube to become two
tubes in the middle of a desparate descent. At the VERY least,
perform a careful visual and "thunk" check every time you ride the
bike (and perhaps when you stop on the trail after a difficult
section).

>> I know that if the frame were to break, it would not come under warranty.
>> Can someome explain to me how a frame replacement program works? Do you
>> get a deal on one?

>I disagree. If the frame is under warranty, and you haven't abused it,
>Specialized will likely replace it. Why wouldn't they? The warranty doesn't
>say "if you dent it, the deal is off." Dents happen to thinwall frame
>tubing. It's commonplace, especially in the exact spot where your frame
>dented.

I would agree if we were talking about a superficial dent, but a
"quarter size dent" sounds like it affects a good bit of the total top
tube circumference. It may well form a stress riser that will
"concentrate" stress at that point, leading to a failure an undented
frame wouldn't have experienced. At that point, it's entirely up to
the manufacturer how liberal they want to be with the warranty policy
- but by most standards, that frame would NOT be under warranty (much
as a 40,000 mile warranty tire wouldn't be if it wore out at 20,000
miles because a huge chunk of tread had been ripped off by driving it
over some sort of debris).

Mark "call me paranoid" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

bomba
July 22nd 03, 08:49 AM
B. Sanders wrote:

> I disagree. If the frame is under warranty, and you haven't abused it,
> Specialized will likely replace it. Why wouldn't they? The warranty doesn't
> say "if you dent it, the deal is off." Dents happen to thinwall frame
> tubing. It's commonplace, especially in the exact spot where your frame
> dented.

This isn't a 'warranty' issue. Warranties cover defects in frame
materials and construction, whereas this constitutes wear and tear, or
abuse (whichever way you want to look at it). To get a replacement,
you're ultimately relying on the goodwill of the frame manufacturer and
you may be lucky.

There is far too much emphasis on 'warranty' to cover everything that
goes wrong with a frame. If you reversed your car in to a pillar, would
you expect to recive a new car or have it repaired for free? Take some
individual responsibility for your actions.

JD
July 22nd 03, 05:06 PM
"Barry Bargain" > wrote in message news:<dvUSa.112143$ye4.83664@sccrnsc01>...
> I disagree. If the frame is under warranty, and you haven't abused it,
> Specialized will likely replace it. Why wouldn't they? The warranty doesn't
> say "if you dent it, the deal is off." Dents happen to thinwall frame
> tubing. It's commonplace, especially in the exact spot where your frame
> dented.

Thanks for once again proving that you are a clueless idiot. Do you
even know what a warranty is?

JD

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home