PDA

View Full Version : Re: 26 Inch or 24 Inch????

Michael Dart
July 22nd 03, 02:37 PM
"Wayne" > wrote in message
u...
> I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
> (mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
> advantages / disadvantages of this would be.
>
> Thanks..

My understanding is 24" wheels accelerate faster and allow you to run wide
3" tyres in frames that weren't designed for them. On the downside they
give the feeling of catching on edges like ditches or rocks where a larger
diameter wheel rolls over them easier.

Mike

Carla A-G
July 22nd 03, 02:40 PM
"Wayne" > wrote in message
u...
> I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
> (mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
> advantages / disadvantages of this would be.

Disadvantage: 24" gives u a lower bb height, less clearance.

Advantage: 24" roll fast.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

John Morgan
July 22nd 03, 05:52 PM
"Wayne" > wrote in message
u...
> I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
> (mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
> advantages / disadvantages of this would be.

On the Big Hit, the rear 24" additionally allows for lower center of gravity
and gives the rear swingarm more clearance for longer travel.

The disadvantages, I suppose... are the availability/selection of 24" rims
and tires.

-John Morgan

Westie
July 26th 03, 08:07 AM
Westie
"Wayne" > wrote in message
u...
> I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
> (mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
> advantages / disadvantages of this would be.
>
> Thanks..

24" will be/should be stronger and have less rotational torque/weight. Ergo
braking/acceleration should be better.
Rolling clearance won't be as good - they'll fall into holes that 26" would
roll over.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home