PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Handlebars 0 ~newbie~ Straight vs slight bent

whatup
July 23rd 03, 07:22 PM
My Bike (new, 21 speed) has a completly straight handlebar, my g/f
bike (also new) has a curved handebar.

Both are mountain bike....mine Dual sus, hers front sus only.

My thoughts are that her's handles better, due to the slight degree of
curvature, whereas mine is 100% straight, I wonder if I can change out
the bar for something else.

Any thoughts and on what type I can swap it out for?

thanks

Peter Tønnesen
July 23rd 03, 07:47 PM
> My thoughts are that her's handles better, due to the slight degree of
> curvature, whereas mine is 100% straight, I wonder if I can change out
> the bar for something else.

All my riding buddys that ride fullsus. use a riser bar, and the ones with
hardtail, including myself, use a flatbar. A riser bar is wider and gives
you more "power" to control your bike i think. When climbing, the extra
length gives you more power for leverage. But with a flat bar you can add
barends, which will give you extra grip for more leverage on climbs. Barends
looks silly and doesnt work good on a riser because of the angle :-) So you
have to chose.

But, i think its a question about riding position. Riser gives a bit more
upright position and flatbar a bit more downright (does that sentence make
any sence?) But, riding position can off course also be adjustet with fork,
spacers, seatpost, stem and so on.

> Any thoughts and on what type I can swap it out for?

It seems that you prefer the riser bar, so hurry up to your LBS :-) There is
a lot of different angles and lengths to chose from, DH bars can have some
pretty extreme measurements compared to XC riser bars, so maybe start out
with a 8 degree sweep 4 degree upsweep and maybe 25 inches long, thats
pretty standard. Buy the one that fits your wallet.

Peter

Jamie
July 24th 03, 02:42 AM
If your talking about you GF handlebar having a sweep to and its still flat
..That could be like Peter said there are a lot of Bars out there flat really
straight flat with a sweep I use one of these a profile carbon nice bar
..Then there's riser bars
some of my friends ride with these like he said more upright position .Look
at your GF bars if there flat with a sweep these are easy to come by .go to
your local bike shop .they should be able to set you up.they are easy to
change to.

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

Skokatt
July 24th 03, 08:26 AM
> Barends looks silly and doesnt work good on a
> riser because of the angle :-) So you have to chose.

if you really like the feel of a riser and want the extra
leverage/comfort of bar ends, try a set of singletrack solutions bar ends
or the serfas equivalent... they may not have the full advantage of other
ends... but they *feel* and look good on riser bars.

--
- Chris -
www.skokatt.com

People say I'm cruel. But I have the heart of a small child.
In a jar. On my desk.

whatup
July 24th 03, 09:03 AM
Thanks.

My gf bike is for sure a riser then..I think (???) seems if you look
at one grip and go in a straight line, her's is for sure, at least 8%
away from the opposite grip. I've attached a lame gif I drew
Fast.....

My thinking is that her's offers more control (hers hardtail) and mine
has the riser bars which is good (IMO) for climbing up PAVED
roads.....

By way of control, it seems that I would be more prone to attempt
curbs and other light obstacles.....and grow into more things down the
road....

Not sure what to do quite yet....

for a few moves

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:42:47 GMT, "Jamie" > wrote:

>If your talking about you GF handlebar having a sweep to and its still flat
>.That could be like Peter said there are a lot of Bars out there flat really
>straight flat with a sweep I use one of these a profile carbon nice bar
>.Then there's riser bars
>some of my friends ride with these like he said more upright position .Look
>at your GF bars if there flat with a sweep these are easy to come by .go to
>your local bike shop .they should be able to set you up.they are easy to
>change to.

whatup
July 24th 03, 10:14 PM
no, not interested in look.

As I thought I mentioned before, the slight curve seems to allow me to
handle the bike better.

Thanks.

Also drew a gif to illustrate.

thanks again

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:06:35 -0400, Bill Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:22:04 -0700, whatup <whatup> wrote:
>

>>My thoughts are that her's handles better, due to the slight degree of
>>curvature, whereas mine is 100% straight, I wonder if I can change out
>>the bar for something else.
>>
>>Any thoughts and on what type I can swap it out for?
>
>Don't swap them out, cut them down.
>

>The better bars are what feels better to you. Looks like you're more
>interested in the looks of them and not the feel.
>
>Peace,
>Bill
>The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
>than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
>an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
>:-]

MAX
July 25th 03, 12:55 AM
"Peter Tønnesen" > wrote in message
k...
> > My thoughts are that her's handles better, due to the slight degree of
> > curvature, whereas mine is 100% straight, I wonder if I can change out
> > the bar for something else.
>
> All my riding buddys that ride fullsus. use a riser bar, and the ones with
> hardtail, including myself, use a flatbar. A riser bar is wider and gives
> you more "power" to control your bike i think. When climbing, the extra
> length gives you more power for leverage. But with a flat bar you can add
> barends, which will give you extra grip for more leverage on climbs.
Barends
> looks silly and doesnt work good on a riser because of the angle :-) So
you
> have to chose.

I disagree with you on (and fashion perhaps) on the last point..I read time
and again about not putting barends on risers,.
I have a pair of small stubby woodies on the ends of my riser bars ( on a
Schwinn RS1 2001) and I love them. I cycle in the region of 150km a week
and enjoy the extra grip position they give me, furthermore they don't look
silly, at least not to me

dave

punky brewster
July 25th 03, 05:31 AM
I'll swap you a new Curved Riser bar for your Flat ~
if its alum alloy, !
<whatup> wrote in message ...
> no, not interested in look.
>
> As I thought I mentioned before, the slight curve seems to allow me to
> handle the bike better.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Also drew a gif to illustrate.
>
> thanks again
>
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:06:35 -0400, Bill Wheeler
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:22:04 -0700, whatup <whatup> wrote:
> >

> >>My thoughts are that her's handles better, due to the slight degree of
> >>curvature, whereas mine is 100% straight, I wonder if I can change out
> >>the bar for something else.
> >>
> >>Any thoughts and on what type I can swap it out for?
> >
> >Don't swap them out, cut them down.
> >

> >The better bars are what feels better to you. Looks like you're more
> >interested in the looks of them and not the feel.
> >
> >Peace,
> >Bill
> >The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
> >than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
> >an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> >:-]

Peter Tønnesen
July 26th 03, 09:30 AM
> I disagree with you on (and fashion perhaps) on the last point..I read
time
> and again about not putting barends on risers,.
> I have a pair of small stubby woodies on the ends of my riser bars ( on a
> Schwinn RS1 2001) and I love them. I cycle in the region of 150km a week
> and enjoy the extra grip position they give me, furthermore they don't
look
> silly, at least not to me

And thats the important thing is it not :-) If it gives the rider an
advantage and better riding position and so on, then use it no matter how it
looks like. And yes, there are some good combos with riser and barends.

My bad :-)

Peet
DK

Google