PDA

View Full Version : Calling Penny...

Josh
July 24th 03, 06:35 PM
Got a little problem I hope you can help me with. I've got a nice pair of
Pearl Izumi bib shorts that I absolutely love. End of last season I was on a
ride and crashed, tearing a small (1/4") V shaped hole in them, right on the
rear. Not a problem for solo rides, but no one will ride a paceline with me
anymore...

Anyway, any expert tips on fixing lycra?

Thanks.

Josh

July 24th 03, 07:18 PM
I have a tube of superglue that I've used to mend holes
in lycra.

Fire up MTB 03

Stephen Baker
July 24th 03, 08:26 PM
Matt says:

>Get an good old patch of your choice (He-Man, Spiderman, Batman, Turtles
>etc etc) and sew that bad boy on there.

You mean, like this one?

http://members.aol.com/saildesign/image01.jpg

Steve

Matthew Paterson
July 24th 03, 09:53 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:26:32 +0000, Stephen Baker wrote:

> http://members.aol.com/saildesign/image01.jpg

Yeah, something like that. Especially if its on his arse!

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Dave
July 24th 03, 11:10 PM
"Stephen Baker" > wrote in message
> Matt says:
>
> >Get an good old patch of your choice (He-Man, Spiderman, Batman, Turtles
> >etc etc) and sew that bad boy on there.
>
> You mean, like this one?
>
> http://members.aol.com/saildesign/image01.jpg
>
> Steve

WANT ONE!!

Dave
July 24th 03, 11:14 PM
"Josh" > wrote in message
igy.com...
> Got a little problem I hope you can help me with. I've got a nice pair of
> Pearl Izumi bib shorts that I absolutely love. End of last season I was on
> ride and crashed, tearing a small (1/4") V shaped hole in them, right on
the
> rear. Not a problem for solo rides, but no one will ride a paceline with
me
> anymore...
>
> Anyway, any expert tips on fixing lycra?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Josh

I used a piece of lycra (same colour), from an old pair of swimming trunks
that I'd kept by for just such an occassion. Then used a sowing machine to
sow patch on with a 'springy' stitch to allow movement and prevent pulling.
Works great and several folks have said they thought it was a pocket,
despite the fact it's slap bang in the middle of my right butt cheek!!
HTHBDIW
(hope that helps but doubt it will ;-)
Dave.
Penny....?
.....Penny......
er....help required over here....Penny!??!

Stephen Baker
July 25th 03, 12:43 AM
Dave says:

>WANT ONE!!

Well, if you can go back in time to the 1972 Reading Rock Festival (the one
where Focus made their debut in the UK) you might just find one left, but they
were pretty popular at the time. ;-)

Steve "oh, CR*P, I fell old today........"

Stephen Baker
July 25th 03, 12:45 AM
I said:

>"oh, CR*P, I fell old today........"

and I _feel_ old, too.

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 25th 03, 04:34 AM
> that I'd kept by for just such an occassion. Then used a sowing machine to
> sow patch on with a 'springy' stitch to allow movement and prevent
pulling.

oink oink

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Dave
July 25th 03, 12:15 PM
"Stephen Baker" > wrote in message
> I said:
>
> >"oh, CR*P, I fell old today........"
>
> and I _feel_ old, too.

Tell me about it....
I had an original Smiley in the 60's on my jeans. Got it from the caravan
site shop at Dyffryn Ardudwy <s?> where we had a static caravan. We went 3
times a year to listen to the rain on the caravan roof. Even upto today, it
ain't a proper holiday unless I've heard rain on a caravan roof. ;-)
Dave - scarred for life....

Dave
July 25th 03, 12:17 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
om...
> > that I'd kept by for just such an occassion. Then used a sowing machine
> > sow patch on with a 'springy' stitch to allow movement and prevent
> pulling.
>
> oink oink
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

must write 100 times
Sew, sewing, sew, sewing, sew, sewing, sew, sewing....
You sew and sow, Phil!! It was late and it's bad enough being able to use a
'sewing' machine, let alone knowing how to spell it correctly ;-)
But thanks anyway,
Dave.

Stephen Baker
July 25th 03, 12:30 PM
Dave says:

>We went 3
>times a year to listen to the rain on the caravan roof.

Yup! That sounds like Wales ;-)

>Dave - scarred for life....

No kidding. Hope you recover.

Steve

Slash
July 25th 03, 01:18 PM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:17:37 +0100, "Dave" >
scribbled:

>must write 100 times
>Sew, sewing, sew, sewing, sew, sewing, sew, sewing....
>You sew and sow, Phil!! It was late and it's bad enough being able to use a
>'sewing' machine, let alone knowing how to spell it correctly ;-)
>But thanks anyway,
>Dave.

Don't be too hard on yourself, at least they both have definitions. :)

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

gabrielle
July 25th 03, 03:27 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:02:28 -0700, Matthew Paterson wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:35:16 +0000, Josh wrote:
>
>> Anyway, any expert tips on fixing lycra?
>
> Get an good old patch of your choice (He-Man, Spiderman, Batman, Turtles
> etc etc) and sew that bad boy on there.

Depending on the size of the hole, you may need to stretch the underlying
lycra layer to its final proportions on your body when sewing on the
patch--otherwise, the patch won't stretch when the lycra does and you'll
have an interesting pucker effect. Put the shorts on & pin the patch or
whatever in place (have someone help you if you're not coordinated
enough), take off the shorts with patch pinned in place, then sew the
patch on.

gabrielle

Westie
July 26th 03, 10:13 AM
"gabrielle" > wrote in message
news:pan.2003.07.25.14.27.45.781508.27190@nothanks .gorge.net...
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:02:28 -0700, Matthew Paterson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:35:16 +0000, Josh wrote:
> >
> >> Anyway, any expert tips on fixing lycra?
> >
> > Get an good old patch of your choice (He-Man, Spiderman, Batman, Turtles
> > etc etc) and sew that bad boy on there.
>
> Depending on the size of the hole, you may need to stretch the underlying
> lycra layer to its final proportions on your body when sewing on the
> patch--otherwise, the patch won't stretch when the lycra does and you'll
> have an interesting pucker effect. Put the shorts on & pin the patch or
> whatever in place (have someone help you if you're not coordinated
> enough), take off the shorts with patch pinned in place, then sew the
> patch on.
>
> gabrielle

If you're a real man you'll just get the helpful someone to apply an iron-on
patch while you've got the shorts and patch on and in place.
--
Westie

Penny S.
July 26th 03, 07:27 PM
Westie scribbled :
> "gabrielle" > wrote in message
> news:pan.2003.07.25.14.27.45.781508.27190@nothanks .gorge.net...

>>> Get an good old patch of your choice (He-Man, Spiderman, Batman,
>>> Turtles etc etc) and sew that bad boy on there.
>>
>> Depending on the size of the hole, you may need to stretch the
>> underlying lycra layer to its final proportions on your body when
>> sewing on the patch--otherwise, the patch won't stretch when the
>> lycra does and you'll have an interesting pucker effect. Put the
>> shorts on & pin the patch or whatever in place (have someone help
>> you if you're not coordinated enough), take off the shorts with
>> patch pinned in place, then sew the patch on.
>>
>> gabrielle
>
> If you're a real man you'll just get the helpful someone to apply an
> iron-on patch while you've got the shorts and patch on and in place.

I cut a piece of matchig lycra about 1-2 " larger than the hole, sew it on
with a zig zag, don'twoory about stretching it to fit.

Gabrielle is sewing goddess #2 so her method is good too. I get to do my
own after my launch into the bushes, nice butt air conditioning created when
I pre rode the NORBA XC course with the medic team. All they did was laugh
and ask if they could make the hole biggger...

( I am home for about an hour, I go back for more heat and dust and the
finals .....)

Penny

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home