PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

Andrew Thorne
July 25th 03, 02:24 PM
How does one put a new cable in an Shimano RFP shifter? Can you believe I've
never had to do this before?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Shaun Rimmer
July 25th 03, 02:45 PM
Andrew Thorne > wrote in message
> How does one put a new cable in an Shimano RFP shifter? Can you believe
I've
> never had to do this before?

Do you mean rapidfire?

The ones I've done this on, it's either a small plastic plug (cross headed
for a screwdriver) on the body, underneath the levers (undo, look into it,
click shifter until cable end is visible, push cable through), or it's a
case of removing the top cap (2 screws) and clicking the shifter down until
the cable is straight, then pushing it out.

Reverse procedure for installation of new cables, obeverously ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Andrew Thorne
July 25th 03, 06:46 PM

>Andrew Thorne > wrote in message
>> How does one put a new cable in an Shimano RFP shifter? Can you believe
>I've
>> never had to do this before?
>
>Do you mean rapidfire?
>
>The ones I've done this on, it's either a small plastic plug (cross headed
>for a screwdriver) on the body, underneath the levers (undo, look into it,
>click shifter until cable end is visible, push cable through), or it's a
>case of removing the top cap (2 screws) and clicking the shifter down until
>the cable is straight, then pushing it out.
>
>Reverse procedure for installation of new cables, obeverously ',;~}~

Yeah, rapidfire. I got in the habit of calling them rapid fire plus since
that's what they were called when the trigger versions first came out to
replace the old push-push ones...

In any case, these are 8speed XT units that came to me without cables already
in them. There are two sets of screws on the bottom of these things - one set
of three larger silver colored phillips head ones that look like they hole the
shifter pod to the brake lever/clamp and another set of much smaller black ones
that look like they simply hold on a much smalller cover - near where the cable
enters the barrell adjuster. I guess that's what I have to open, eh?

I just thought I'd ask around before unscrewing things at random since these
things are famous for being damn near impossible to reassemble.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Michael Dart
July 26th 03, 01:56 AM
"Andrew Thorne" > wrote in message

> >Andrew Thorne > wrote in message
> >> How does one put a new cable in an Shimano RFP shifter? Can you believe
> >I've
> >> never had to do this before?
> >
> >Do you mean rapidfire?
> >
> >The ones I've done this on, it's either a small plastic plug (cross
headed
> >for a screwdriver) on the body, underneath the levers (undo, look into
it,
> >click shifter until cable end is visible, push cable through), or it's a
> >case of removing the top cap (2 screws) and clicking the shifter down
until
> >the cable is straight, then pushing it out.
> >
> >Reverse procedure for installation of new cables, obeverously ',;~}~
>
> Yeah, rapidfire. I got in the habit of calling them rapid fire plus since
> that's what they were called when the trigger versions first came out to
> replace the old push-push ones...
>
> In any case, these are 8speed XT units that came to me without cables
already
> in them. There are two sets of screws on the bottom of these things - one
set
> of three larger silver colored phillips head ones that look like they hole
the
> shifter pod to the brake lever/clamp and another set of much smaller black
ones
> that look like they simply hold on a much smalller cover - near where the
cable
> enters the barrell adjuster. I guess that's what I have to open, eh?
>
> I just thought I'd ask around before unscrewing things at random since
these
> things are famous for being damn near impossible to reassemble.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Andrew

Yes you need to remove the small black screws holding the access cover on.

Mike

Shaun Rimmer
July 28th 03, 10:09 AM
Andrew Thorne > wrote in message

> >Andrew Thorne > wrote in message
> >> How does one put a new cable in an Shimano RFP shifter? Can you believe
> >I've
> >> never had to do this before?
> >
> >Do you mean rapidfire?
> >
> >The ones I've done this on, it's either a small plastic plug (cross
headed
> >for a screwdriver) on the body, underneath the levers (undo, look into
it,
> >click shifter until cable end is visible, push cable through), or it's a
> >case of removing the top cap (2 screws) and clicking the shifter down
until
> >the cable is straight, then pushing it out.
> >
> >Reverse procedure for installation of new cables, obeverously ',;~}~
>
> Yeah, rapidfire. I got in the habit of calling them rapid fire plus since
> that's what they were called when the trigger versions first came out to
> replace the old push-push ones...
>
> In any case, these are 8speed XT units that came to me without cables
already
> in them. There are two sets of screws on the bottom of these things - one
set
> of three larger silver colored phillips head ones that look like they hole
the
> shifter pod to the brake lever/clamp and another set of much smaller black
ones
> that look like they simply hold on a much smalller cover - near where the
cable
> enters the barrell adjuster. I guess that's what I have to open, eh?
>
> I just thought I'd ask around before unscrewing things at random since
these
> things are famous for being damn near impossible to reassemble.

Yup - I reckon it's the little screws as well.

Shaun aRe - had one of my Deore pods in pieces (_completely_ disassembled)
one time to remove shreds of frayed cable (ugh!!!!!), and it took me quite a
while to get it back together again, but I managed it......in the end.......

Andrew Thorne
July 28th 03, 02:26 PM

>Yes you need to remove the small black screws holding the access cover on.
>
>Mike

Yup. Got it. Thanks, everybody.

-Andrew

Sorni
July 28th 03, 04:52 PM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> it took me quite a while to get it back together again, but I managed
it......in the end.......

Just don't tell your fiancée about it.

Prudent Disclosure Bill

Google