PDA

View Full Version : Need pictures of dorky bikes

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 26th 03, 06:35 AM
Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
bikes. Criteria include:

1. Failed designs
2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
3. Fookin ugly designs
4. Ugly people riding bikes
5. Interesting designs (soft-tail arm beam thing, for example)
6. Bikes with ridiculously long head tubes
7. Bikes with hot chicks on/near/around them.

Okay so that last one is for my own benefit. Does anyone care if binaries
are posted here? Just curious if anybody will be "winging" about it.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Westie
July 26th 03, 07:36 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
m...
> Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
> bikes. Criteria include:
>
> 1. Failed designs
> 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
> 3. Fookin ugly designs
> 4. Ugly people riding bikes
> 5. Interesting designs (soft-tail arm beam thing, for example)
> 6. Bikes with ridiculously long head tubes
> 7. Bikes with hot chicks on/near/around them.
>
> Okay so that last one is for my own benefit. Does anyone care if binaries
> are posted here? Just curious if anybody will be "winging" about it.

Sorry, haven't got any good pics. Just thought that I'd tell you that a lot
of newservers will automatically strip attachments from posts in a
non-binaries group.
For many, they may not get a chance to winge. You could arrange for them to
post to a binaries test group, if nothingelse.
Cheers
Westie

Peter Tønnesen
July 26th 03, 09:27 AM

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/tech/probikes/CSC_Cervelo/baracchi.jp
> 3. Fookin ugly designs
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/tech/probikes/CSC_Cervelo/baracchi.jp

I think this one reaches the requirements in these 2 catagories?

Not a MTB though :-(

Peet
DK

Peter Tønnesen
July 26th 03, 09:41 AM
"Peter Tønnesen" > skrev i en meddelelse
k...

> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > skrev i en meddelelse
> m...
> > Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
> > bikes. Criteria include:
>
> > 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/tech/probikes/CSC_Cervelo/baracchi.jp
> > 3. Fookin ugly designs

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/tech/probikes/CSC_Cervelo/baracchi.jp

> I think this one reaches the requirements in these 2 catagories?
>
> Not a MTB though :-(
>
> Peet
> DK

sorry :-)

Andy Chequer
July 26th 03, 11:41 AM
Still 404 mate.

Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer
July 26th 03, 11:43 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
m...
> Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
> bikes. Criteria include:
>
> 1. Failed designs
> 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
> 3. Fookin ugly designs
> 4. Ugly people riding bikes
> 5. Interesting designs (soft-tail arm beam thing, for example)
> 6. Bikes with ridiculously long head tubes
> 7. Bikes with hot chicks on/near/around them.
>
> Okay so that last one is for my own benefit. Does anyone care if binaries
> are posted here? Just curious if anybody will be "winging" about it.

http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-012.html kiss my white hairy
arse.

Andy Chequer

Peter Tønnesen
July 26th 03, 12:15 PM
"Andy Chequer" > skrev i en
meddelelse ...
> Still 404 mate.

Hmmmm,

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L21A12565

Working?

Andy Chequer
July 26th 03, 12:26 PM
"Peter Tønnesen" > wrote in message
k...

> "Andy Chequer" > skrev i
en
> meddelelse ...
> > Still 404 mate.
>
> Hmmmm,
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?L21A12565
>
> Working?

It certainly is. Yikes, that's ugly..........

Andy Chequer

Stephen Baker
July 26th 03, 01:22 PM
Andy Chequer says:

>http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-012.html kiss my white hairy
>arse.

You crack me up, Andy!

Steve "never been so glad to see an out-of-focus photo"

iddqdATworldonline.dk
July 26th 03, 01:26 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Okay so that last one is for my own benefit. Does anyone care if binaries
> are posted here? Just curious if anybody will be "winging" about it.

This is not a group for binaries, such items only belong in binaries groups.

For pictures of ugly bikes do a search on eBay for cheap mountainbikes
or take a trip to Wal-mart.

Kind regards

Bruno

bomba
July 26th 03, 02:08 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
> bikes. Criteria include:
>
> 1. Failed designs
> 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
> 3. Fookin ugly designs
> 4. Ugly people riding bikes
> 5. Interesting designs (soft-tail arm beam thing, for example)
> 6. Bikes with ridiculously long head tubes
> 7. Bikes with hot chicks on/near/around them.

My first mtb: http://novaspot.free.fr/histoire/photos/alpinestars.jpg
The legendary Manitou FS:
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/pictures/Photo0034.jpg

I'm sure I'll think of some more...

> Okay so that last one is for my own benefit. Does anyone care if binaries
> are posted here? Just curious if anybody will be "winging" about it.

It's not a case of whether 'we mind', it's the responsibility of NNTP
admins throughout the world. This isn't a binaries group (note the lack
of the word 'binaries' in alt.mountain-bike) so most of your pictures
will be stripped anyway and no-one will see them. Best bet is to just
chuck them up on a website and put the link here. If you need a place
to put up pictures, let me know.

Super Slinky
July 26th 03, 03:31 PM
iddqdATworldonline.dk said...

> This is not a group for binaries, such items only belong in binaries groups.
>
> For pictures of ugly bikes do a search on eBay for cheap mountainbikes
> or take a trip to Wal-mart.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Bruno

I didn't know they had Wal-Marts in Denmark.

Andy Chequer
July 26th 03, 03:37 PM
> The legendary Manitou FS:
> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/pictures/Photo0034.jpg
>
> I'm sure I'll think of some more...

I remember the Marin rip off one. Had the dubious honour of being worse than
a contemporary Pro-Flex (an achievement, it has to be said).

Surely no nutty bike thread is complete without the wonderous Kirk
Revolution, and example of which has been *******ised in the name of irony
by

http://teamsheep.nu/research.html?page=1

for biggification, click

http://teamsheep.nu/images/23inchsuspensionfull.jpg

Andy Chequer

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 26th 03, 03:39 PM
> The legendary Manitou FS:
> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/pictures/Photo0034.jpg

That is pretty whack.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

bomba
July 26th 03, 05:05 PM
Super Slinky wrote:

>>This is not a group for binaries, such items only belong in binaries groups.
>>
>>For pictures of ugly bikes do a search on eBay for cheap mountainbikes
>>or take a trip to Wal-mart.
>
> I didn't know they had Wal-Marts in Denmark.

Don't know about DK, but they have them in Germany.

July 26th 03, 05:30 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message >...
> Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
> bikes. Criteria include:
>
> 1. Failed designs
> 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
> 3. Fookin ugly designs
> 4. Ugly people riding bikes

Although not riding his bike yet, this should do
http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-011.jpg

Want something uglier? Go find a picture of JD off of mtbreview.com,
or just picture Lemmy from Motorhead riding a bicycle.

JD
July 26th 03, 05:57 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message >...
> Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
> bikes. Criteria include:
>
> 1. Failed designs
> 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
> 3. Fookin ugly designs

Go to the following bike company websites: gt, gary fisher, trek, kona
(especially for that ridiculous fs ss), and any recumbent company.

> 4. Ugly people riding bikes

Any roadie website will garner that.

> 5. Interesting designs (soft-tail arm beam thing, for example)
> 6. Bikes with ridiculously long head tubes

Phat Cycles' website has both.

> 7. Bikes with hot chicks on/near/around them.
>
> Okay so that last one is for my own benefit.

pig

> Does anyone care if binaries
> are posted here? Just curious if anybody will be "winging" about it.

Ask GT...if he cares to resurface.

JD

Super Slinky
July 26th 03, 06:51 PM
bomba said...

> Don't know about DK, but they have them in Germany.

My god, no wonder Europeans hate Americans.

Super Slinky
July 26th 03, 06:53 PM
Raptor said...

> http://www.kellogg.nwu.edu/faculty/maher/temp/ttbike.jpg

That picture sits next to the definition for 'too much time on my
hands'.

notaknob
July 26th 03, 08:22 PM
In article >,
says...
> > Don't know about DK, but they have them in Germany.
>
> My god, no wonder Europeans hate Americans.

There's nothing like x-mas decorations made in China, on sale in
September.

It is a slightly different experience compared to wally-worlds in the
USA.

The beer/wine/hard liquor section rocks though.

nk

supadumdum
July 26th 03, 09:35 PM
bomba wrote:
> Super Slinky wrote:
>
>>> Don't know about DK, but they have them in Germany.
>>

>> My god, no wonder Europeans hate Americans.
>

> There are so many more reasons, oh, and it's not /just/ Europeans that
> hate Americans... :p

Yep ... They hate us but can't live without us (at least not in a free
country).

Who gives a **** what OLD Europe thinks!

notaknob
July 26th 03, 10:08 PM
In article >, myarse247
@hotmail.com says...
> >>Don't know about DK, but they have them in Germany.
> >

> > My god, no wonder Europeans hate Americans.
>
> There are so many more reasons, oh, and it's not /just/ Europeans that
> hate Americans... :p

I really haven't met any Europeans that hate Americans. If they do,
they've kept their mouth shut around me. I have met people who dislike
stupid or ignorant Americans.

A lot of that "europeans hate the USA" is crap fabricated by the
American press. Whatever sells the most. I hear that bull**** at least
once a week. Most of the bigots I've met hate anybody that's not from
their village. The worlds the same all over.

nk

MrSlantEye
July 26th 03, 11:28 PM
bomba wrote:

> Super Slinky wrote:
>
> >>Don't know about DK, but they have them in Germany.
> >

> > My god, no wonder Europeans hate Americans.
>
> There are so many more reasons, oh, and it's not /just/ Europeans that
> hate Americans... :p

And it's not /just/ Americans that hate Europeans. In fact, most
Europeans hate each other.

Super Slinky
July 26th 03, 11:53 PM
bomba said...

> There are so many more reasons, oh, and it's not /just/ Europeans that
> hate Americans... :p

How provincial of you, Bomba. That character flaw at least is not unique
to Americans. But don't worry, we'll still pull your asses out of the
fire next time you get in a jam. We always do. But in the meantime,
perhaps you want to take on China, Russia, the Middle East, South
America or Africa as role models. I can sincerely say that I wish you
luck in that endeavor.

P.S. How is this for combining politics and mtb content: I just got my
new wheel set yesterday. UK made Hope hubs, French made Mavic UST rims
and Michelin tires, Swiss made spokes. Now you can't say I'm not an
international type of guy.

Slacker
July 27th 03, 12:06 AM
"Super Slinky" > wrote in message
t...
> Phil, Squid-in-Training said...
>
> > That is pretty whack.
> >
> > --
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> I like it.

You might want to keep your propensity to whack private next time.
--
Slacker - too modest

P e t e F a g e r l i n
July 27th 03, 12:26 AM

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/FFTF/3/jd_trek.jpg

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/moab/me/Red%20Ringer.jpg

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/1456.jpg

|7. Bikes with hot chicks on/near/around them.

Don't have any of those, but here's a picture of a hot chick with a
nice pussy.

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/HotxChickxWithxNicexPussy.jpg

Slacker
July 27th 03, 12:48 AM
> > You might want to keep your propensity to whack private next time.
> > --
> > Slacker - too modest
>
> I meant the bike. Whaddya think I want to go blind?

How do we know you're not using one of these right now
http://www.papenmeier.de/reha/products/brline.htm ?

--
Slacker

iddqdATworldonline.dk
July 27th 03, 01:37 AM
Super Slinky wrote:

> I didn't know they had Wal-Marts in Denmark.

We don't, but if I had named Silvan or Bilka then it would not have
meant a thing for anyone in here with Peter as a possible exception.

BTW: I don't hate the US but I do think the US should stop poluting and
cosumeing like there is no tomorrow.

I also have other griefs and I think there are some things I think the
US does very well, but turning this thread into another US rules/US
sucks one is just plain silly imho.

Kind regards

Bruno

Slacker
July 27th 03, 01:57 AM
> BTW: I don't hate the US but I do think the US should stop poluting and
> cosumeing like there is no tomorrow.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Bruno

Well, that will never happen; there's too much $ to be made, not to mention
our precious union jobs.
--
Slacker

Clyde_in_TN
July 27th 03, 04:26 AM
> |http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-011.jpg

Nice headband!-)

P e t e F a g e r l i n
July 27th 03, 04:27 AM
On 26 Jul 2003 09:30:14 -0700, wrote:

|"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message >...
|> Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
|> bikes. Criteria include:
|>
|> 1. Failed designs
|> 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
|> 3. Fookin ugly designs
|> 4. Ugly people riding bikes
|>

|Although not riding his bike yet, this should do
|http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-011.jpg
|
|Want something uglier? Go find a picture of JD off of mtbreview.com,
|or just picture Lemmy from Motorhead riding a bicycle.

So spake the terminal newbie.

Hilarious humping!

Super Slinky
July 27th 03, 12:45 PM
iddqdATworldonline.dk said...

> I guess - still I see no one forcing people to buy SUV's or buying
> airconditioning instead of build building as if they were to be green
> houses for growing tropical fruits.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Bruno

Without going into an essay on the different economic, demographic and
climate conditions of the two continents, let's just say that the US
isn't Europe and the two can't be compared without taking those things
into account.

Stephen Baker
July 27th 03, 04:45 PM
Phil the Squid-to-be says:

>Why's there gotta be so much hate?! Can't we all just get along?
>
>I like Laetitia Casta. I like Heidi Klum. I like Victoria Silvstedt. I
>like Tyra Banks. I like Gisele Bundchen.

We were talking about "liking", Phil, not "lusting".
;-P

Steve

Shaun Rimmer
July 28th 03, 11:12 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training > wrote in message
om...
> > And it's not /just/ Americans that hate Europeans. In fact, most
> > Europeans hate each other.
>
> Why's there gotta be so much hate?! Can't we all just get along?
>
> I like Laetitia Casta. I like Heidi Klum. I like Victoria Silvstedt. I
> like Tyra Banks. I like Gisele Bundchen.
>
> Damn, can't find one for the UK.

Summink wrong with Kelly Brook? (Ya know, Lax's g/f for a while in that
crappy new Smallville show)......

> Oh well, they all have crooked teeth
> anyways ;)

Hardly, and certainly not near as crooked as yours would be if you came over
here and said that.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 28th 03, 11:24 AM
Clyde_in_TN > wrote in message

> > |http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/picture-011.jpg
>
> Nice headband!-)

Agreed! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

bomba
July 28th 03, 08:31 PM
Teacher wrote:
> Nantmawr Quarry?

Yep. a.m-b meet there earlier this year:
http://www.pritch.co.uk/photos/ambuk/index.html
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/nantmawr/index.htm

Super Slinky
July 29th 03, 12:59 AM
bloocow said...

> What? No shimano? Anti-asian are we?
>
> ;-p
>
> bloocow

Well, a little anti-Shimano anyway. Shimano hubs are a good deal for the
money, but the Hopes are lighter and satisfy my need to be a little bit
different than everyone else. I have XTR shifters and XT front and rear
derailleurs, but other than that, I am entirely Shimano free.

(Pete Cresswell)
July 29th 03, 01:19 AM
RE/
>2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs

Got an FTP site I could hit with one pic?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 29th 03, 07:28 AM
> Summink wrong with Kelly Brook? (Ya know, Lax's g/f for a while in that
> crappy new Smallville show)......

Ooh yeah... And Katie Price.... sorta. Then there's that super-hottie of a
page3 chick... Nikkala Stott or something.

> > Oh well, they all have crooked teeth
> > anyways ;)
>
> Hardly, and certainly not near as crooked as yours would be if you came
over
> here and said that.

Admittedly, I actually need braces myself. ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

bomba
July 29th 03, 09:02 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>>Summink wrong with Kelly Brook? (Ya know, Lax's g/f for a while in that
>>crappy new Smallville show)......
>

> Ooh yeah... And Katie Price.... sorta.

Jordan? Eugh! She's hideous. Was kind of attractive until she had all
that surgery done.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 09:20 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training > wrote in message
om...
> > Summink wrong with Kelly Brook? (Ya know, Lax's g/f for a while in that
> > crappy new Smallville show)......
>
> Ooh yeah... And Katie Price.... sorta.

<coughspluttersnork!>

> Then there's that super-hottie of a
> page3 chick... Nikkala Stott or something.

Dunno her - I don't buy the red-top rags.

> > > Oh well, they all have crooked teeth
> > > anyways ;)
> >
> > Hardly, and certainly not near as crooked as yours would be if you came
> over
> > here and said that.
>
> Admittedly, I actually need braces myself. ;)

I use a belt to keep my pants up.

Shaun aRe

Stephen Baker
July 29th 03, 12:09 PM
Shaun R says:

>I use a belt to keep my pants up.

I find that my trousers hide the fact that I _need_ a belt for my pants, so i
don't worry...

Steve

KSlater
July 30th 03, 02:22 AM
"notaknob" > wrote in message
> In article >, myarse247
> @hotmail.com says...
> > >

> > > My god, no wonder Europeans hate Americans.
> >
> > There are so many more reasons, oh, and it's not /just/ Europeans that
> > hate Americans... :p
> >

> I really haven't met any Europeans that hate Americans. If they do,
> they've kept their mouth shut around me. I have met people who dislike
> stupid or ignorant Americans.
>
> A lot of that "europeans hate the USA" is crap fabricated by the
> American press. Whatever sells the most. I hear that bull**** at least
> once a week. Most of the bigots I've met hate anybody that's not from
> their village. The worlds the same all over.
>
> nk

I thought this was a biking group? WTF? LOL

KSlater
July 30th 03, 02:27 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > Okay, so let's all go through our collections of pictures of truly ****
> > bikes. Criteria include:
> >
> > 1. Failed designs
> > 2. "WTF was the designer thinking" designs
> > 3. Fookin ugly designs
> > 4. Ugly people riding bikes
> > 5. Interesting designs (soft-tail arm beam thing, for example)
> > 6. Bikes with ridiculously long head tubes
> > 7. Bikes with hot chicks on/near/around them.
>
> My first mtb: http://novaspot.free.fr/histoire/photos/alpinestars.jpg
> The legendary Manitou FS:
> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/pictures/Photo0034.jpg
>
> I'm sure I'll think of some more...
>
> > Okay so that last one is for my own benefit. Does anyone care if
binaries
> > are posted here? Just curious if anybody will be "winging" about it.
>
> It's not a case of whether 'we mind', it's the responsibility of NNTP
> admins throughout the world. This isn't a binaries group (note the lack
> of the word 'binaries' in alt.mountain-bike) so most of your pictures
> will be stripped anyway and no-one will see them. Best bet is to just
> chuck them up on a website and put the link here. If you need a place
> to put up pictures, let me know.

I don't know that the FS is that Dorky I kinda like the idea.

KSlater
July 30th 03, 02:28 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
m...

> > http://teamsheep.nu/images/23inchsuspensionfull.jpg
>
> Hmm... don't think you'll be getting stuck on logs on that one...
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

No kidding especially with a new 14" fork from risse or something like that.

bloocow
July 30th 03, 01:15 PM
"Super Slinky" > wrote in message
t...
> bloocow said...
>
> > What? No shimano? Anti-asian are we?
> >
> > ;-p
> >
> > bloocow
>
> Well, a little anti-Shimano anyway. Shimano hubs are a good deal for the
> money, but the Hopes are lighter and satisfy my need to be a little bit
> different than everyone else. I have XTR shifters and XT front and rear
> derailleurs, but other than that, I am entirely Shimano free.

Good for you. I'm looking to change over to a Sram rear derailleur but its
hard to find an 8spd one. Currently doing without a front der, so soon i'll
have a Shimanoless bike.

bloocow

Andrew Thorne
July 30th 03, 02:58 PM
>Good for you. I'm looking to change over to a Sram rear derailleur but its
>hard to find an 8spd one. Currently doing without a front der, so soon i'll
>have a Shimanoless bike.
>
>bloocow

The nines will shift just fine on an 8-speed cassette. But if you have your
heart set on an 8s unit, just post a WTB at rbm, you'll have a dozen offers
before lunch.

-Andrew

bomba
July 30th 03, 03:23 PM
bloocow wrote:

> Good for you. I'm looking to change over to a Sram rear derailleur but its
> hard to find an 8spd one. Currently doing without a front der, so soon i'll
> have a Shimanoless bike.

Remember that if you change to a SRAM rear mech, you'll need the
matching shifter.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

bloocow
August 1st 03, 01:50 PM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> bloocow > wrote in message
> >
> > "Super Slinky" > wrote in message
> > t...
> > > bloocow said...

> > > Well, a little anti-Shimano anyway. Shimano hubs are a good deal for
the
> > > money, but the Hopes are lighter and satisfy my need to be a little
bit
> > > different than everyone else. I have XTR shifters and XT front and
rear
> > > derailleurs, but other than that, I am entirely Shimano free.
> >
> > Good for you. I'm looking to change over to a Sram rear derailleur but
its
> > hard to find an 8spd one. Currently doing without a front der, so soon
> i'll
> > have a Shimanoless bike.
>
> Are the mechs not the same for all intents and purposes, with the
difference
> being in the indexing of the shifters (like with Shimano)?

They are, I guess. I'm just being difficult. For myself.

bloocow ;-p

bloocow
August 1st 03, 01:54 PM
"Andrew Thorne" > wrote in message

> >Good for you. I'm looking to change over to a Sram rear derailleur but
its
> >hard to find an 8spd one. Currently doing without a front der, so soon
i'll
> >have a Shimanoless bike.
> >
> >bloocow
>
> The nines will shift just fine on an 8-speed cassette. But if you have
your
> heart set on an 8s unit, just post a WTB at rbm, you'll have a dozen
offers
> before lunch.

Thanks for the suggestion, but after reading up a bit, I think I wanna try
using 9 spd shifters on my 8 spd cassette. As much as I hate the truth, I
think its a matter of time before I change to a 9 spd setup but as it is, I
still have 2 more 8 spd cassettes to go through. And since I prefer riding
my SS, that might take some time. Possibly a couple of years in fact.

bloocow

bloocow
August 1st 03, 01:59 PM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> bloocow wrote:
>
> > Good for you. I'm looking to change over to a Sram rear derailleur but
its
> > hard to find an 8spd one. Currently doing without a front der, so soon
i'll
> > have a Shimanoless bike.
>
> Remember that if you change to a SRAM rear mech, you'll need the
> matching shifter.

Oh I didn't know that. I was initially considering XO rear mech and 9.0
shifters cus the XO don't come in 8 spd. One of my fav lbs' quoted quite
alot for the XO mech only cus most lbs' here prefer not to sell single
items. He preferred me to get mech n shifters for just a bit more so I think
I'll just get XO shifters n rear mech. It'll give me something to do for the
bike, adjusting the shifters to my 8 spd cassette.

bloocow

bomba
August 1st 03, 02:47 PM
bloocow wrote:

>>Remember that if you change to a SRAM rear mech, you'll need the
>>matching shifter.
>>

> Oh I didn't know that. I was initially considering XO rear mech and 9.0
> shifters cus the XO don't come in 8 spd.

That should be fine.

One of my fav lbs' quoted quite
> alot for the XO mech only cus most lbs' here prefer not to sell single
> items. He preferred me to get mech n shifters for just a bit more so I think
> I'll just get XO shifters n rear mech. It'll give me something to do for the
> bike, adjusting the shifters to my 8 spd cassette.

The rear shifting for SRAM and Shimano uses different ratios, so you
have to use SRAM mech and shifter together, or Shimano mech and shifter
together but you can't mix and match.

Conversly, SRAM don't make a front mech, so you can use either a Shimano
or SRAM shifter.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Super Slinky
August 1st 03, 03:08 PM
bloocow said...

> Sorry, you're right. 8 spd and 9 spd derailleurs work the same. I was
> thinking "8 spd Sram shifters are hard to find" but somehow it came out as
> derailleur. Currently I'm using a jumpstop in place of a front derailleur
> cus I have only 2 chainrings (middle,large) so I seldom shift the front.
> Basically its middle ring for off road and large ring for road use. It takes
> like a sec to manually move the chain up or down although you have to stop
> riding and might get your hands/gloves dirty. For some reason I enjoy making
> things difficult for myself.
>
> bloocow

I read your latest responses on this thread and you either made some
typos or you have the wrong idea. You can't use 9sp shifters with an 8sp
cassette. Those are exactly what is not compatible. I seem to remember
some questions about the derailleur cog width in connection with using
8sp derailleurs with 9sp chains, but for the most part the derailleurs
are the same because 8sp and 9sp cassettes have the same width. 9sp cogs
are just closer together. How much the derailleur moves is determined by
the shifter. Sram derailleurs need Sram shifters for some reason that I
have never bothered to find out, since I have always used Shimano. You
will also need to match the chain with the cassette. IOW, 9sp chain
w/9sp cassette, 8sp chain w/8sp cassette. Chainrings might also be a
problem, although some chainrings are advertised as being usable with
either 8sp or 9sp.

Maybe we were a little too quick to point out the basic similarity
between 8sp and 9sp derailleurs. I would strongly recommend that you not
try to mix and match 8sp and 9sp components. Some combos may work, but
IMO you are asking for problems. I have enough trouble getting a noise-
free setup with an all Shimano 9sp system.

bloocow
August 2nd 03, 04:06 PM
"Super Slinky" > wrote in message
t...
> bloocow said...
>
> > Sorry, you're right. 8 spd and 9 spd derailleurs work the same. I was
> > thinking "8 spd Sram shifters are hard to find" but somehow it came out
as
> > derailleur. Currently I'm using a jumpstop in place of a front
derailleur
> > cus I have only 2 chainrings (middle,large) so I seldom shift the front.
> > Basically its middle ring for off road and large ring for road use. It
takes
> > like a sec to manually move the chain up or down although you have to
stop
> > riding and might get your hands/gloves dirty. For some reason I enjoy
making
> > things difficult for myself.
> >
> > bloocow
>
> I read your latest responses on this thread and you either made some
> typos or you have the wrong idea. You can't use 9sp shifters with an 8sp
> cassette. Those are exactly what is not compatible. I seem to remember
> some questions about the derailleur cog width in connection with using
> 8sp derailleurs with 9sp chains, but for the most part the derailleurs
> are the same because 8sp and 9sp cassettes have the same width. 9sp cogs
> are just closer together. How much the derailleur moves is determined by
> the shifter. Sram derailleurs need Sram shifters for some reason that I
> have never bothered to find out, since I have always used Shimano. You
> will also need to match the chain with the cassette. IOW, 9sp chain
> w/9sp cassette, 8sp chain w/8sp cassette. Chainrings might also be a
> problem, although some chainrings are advertised as being usable with
> either 8sp or 9sp.
>
> Maybe we were a little too quick to point out the basic similarity
> between 8sp and 9sp derailleurs. I would strongly recommend that you not
> try to mix and match 8sp and 9sp components. Some combos may work, but
> IMO you are asking for problems. I have enough trouble getting a noise-
> free setup with an all Shimano 9sp system.

I did read about the shifting incompatibility between 8 and 9 spd. There was
however a thread I googled where someone mentioned that if you tune the
shifting starting with the middle of the cogs, the shifters could still
manage to shift quite smoothly. The guy argued that the cable pull
difference between 8 and 9 spd shifters was very small and therefore the
above might be possible. I hope to try that.

Agreed that the chain width would complicate things as well but if the above
works, then using a thicker (i.e. 8spd) chain would be better than using a 9
spd chain. Thats assuming I have enough 8 spd chains and cassettes. I'm
actually running Sram attack shifters with an XT rear D and they've worked
well enough. In fact I've only had thumb shifters on my first real bike,
which was many years ago.

The alternative to not doing the (possibly disastrous) setup above, would be
to get 8 spd shifters or change everything to 9 spd. For quite some time
now, most lbs' here have been telling me they don't sell 8 spd stuff
anymore. From what I know, its because the distributor here doesn't bring 8
spd stuff in anymore. If I were to order overseas, it would actually be
cheaper for me to change all to 9 spd. So unless I get lucky and find an 8
spd shifter within the next couple of weeks, I think I'll get the 9 spd
shifters.

Thanks for the clarification tho.

bloocow

bloocow
August 2nd 03, 05:00 PM
"Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
.. .
> There will always be a good supply of SRAM 5.0 8 speed cassettes and PC-
> 48 8 speed chains. That's the way to go if you want to keep 8 speed.
> By the way, the reason SRAM ESP shifters only work with SRAM ESP
> derailleurs is that they use a 1:1 ratio of cable movement at the
> shifter to movement at the deraileur where as Shimano uses 2:1 which is
> why Shimano typically has less leeway when it comes to cable adjustment.
> The shifters you have of course are 2:1 and meant to work with a Shimano
> derailleur.

Hmm... I didn't give the 1:1, 2:1 ratio much thought till now. That seems to
mean that the Sram xo shifters (which is 1:1 IIRC), would only move the
cable half the amount of what my current Sram attack does. So the derailleur
would move only halfway as well. Theoretically I'd need 16 "clicks" on 1:1
shifter to work with my 8 spd (shimano btw) cassette. Am I missing
something?

Aside from that, shouldn't ESP shifters also be able to shift Shimano mechs?
I mean they'd just be moving the cable less thats all, right? Oh wait I just
thought of something. 1:1 is just the ratio but the cable movement for 1:1
and 2:1 Sram shifters should still be relatively similar right? or so i
hope.

bloocow - getting worried

Super Slinky
August 3rd 03, 04:01 AM
bloocow said...

> "Super Slinky" > wrote in message
> t...
> > bloocow said...
> >
> > > Sorry, you're right. 8 spd and 9 spd derailleurs work the same. I was
> > > thinking "8 spd Sram shifters are hard to find" but somehow it came out
> as
> > > derailleur. Currently I'm using a jumpstop in place of a front
> derailleur
> > > cus I have only 2 chainrings (middle,large) so I seldom shift the front.
> > > Basically its middle ring for off road and large ring for road use. It
> takes
> > > like a sec to manually move the chain up or down although you have to
> stop
> > > riding and might get your hands/gloves dirty. For some reason I enjoy
> making
> > > things difficult for myself.
> > >
> > > bloocow
> >
> > I read your latest responses on this thread and you either made some
> > typos or you have the wrong idea. You can't use 9sp shifters with an 8sp
> > cassette. Those are exactly what is not compatible. I seem to remember
> > some questions about the derailleur cog width in connection with using
> > 8sp derailleurs with 9sp chains, but for the most part the derailleurs
> > are the same because 8sp and 9sp cassettes have the same width. 9sp cogs
> > are just closer together. How much the derailleur moves is determined by
> > the shifter. Sram derailleurs need Sram shifters for some reason that I
> > have never bothered to find out, since I have always used Shimano. You
> > will also need to match the chain with the cassette. IOW, 9sp chain
> > w/9sp cassette, 8sp chain w/8sp cassette. Chainrings might also be a
> > problem, although some chainrings are advertised as being usable with
> > either 8sp or 9sp.
> >
> > Maybe we were a little too quick to point out the basic similarity
> > between 8sp and 9sp derailleurs. I would strongly recommend that you not
> > try to mix and match 8sp and 9sp components. Some combos may work, but
> > IMO you are asking for problems. I have enough trouble getting a noise-
> > free setup with an all Shimano 9sp system.
>
> I did read about the shifting incompatibility between 8 and 9 spd. There was
> however a thread I googled where someone mentioned that if you tune the
> shifting starting with the middle of the cogs, the shifters could still
> manage to shift quite smoothly. The guy argued that the cable pull
> difference between 8 and 9 spd shifters was very small and therefore the
> above might be possible. I hope to try that.

But did he do it, or was he just theorizing? I'm not saying it won't
work, but if you ever get it right, fly over here and set all the
adjustments on my derailleurs, OK? I'll buy beer.

> Agreed that the chain width would complicate things as well but if the above
> works, then using a thicker (i.e. 8spd) chain would be better than using a 9
> spd chain. Thats assuming I have enough 8 spd chains and cassettes. I'm
> actually running Sram attack shifters with an XT rear D and they've worked
> well enough. In fact I've only had thumb shifters on my first real bike,
> which was many years ago.
>
> The alternative to not doing the (possibly disastrous) setup above, would be
> to get 8 spd shifters or change everything to 9 spd. For quite some time
> now, most lbs' here have been telling me they don't sell 8 spd stuff
> anymore. From what I know, its because the distributor here doesn't bring 8
> spd stuff in anymore. If I were to order overseas, it would actually be
> cheaper for me to change all to 9 spd. So unless I get lucky and find an 8
> spd shifter within the next couple of weeks, I think I'll get the 9 spd
> shifters.
>
> Thanks for the clarification tho.
>
> bloocow

I don't see why you don't just look for some used parts to flesh out
your 8sp system. It may be that your quest to save a little money may
cost you in the end. But who knows. Let us know how it turns out.
Tinkering is half the fun of bicycling anyway.

bloocow
August 3rd 03, 03:26 PM
"Super Slinky" > wrote in message
t...
> bloocow said...
> >
> > "Super Slinky" > wrote in message
> > t...
> > > bloocow said...

> > as
> > derailleur
It
> > takes
> > stop
> > making

> > > I read your latest responses on this thread and you either made some
> > > typos or you have the wrong idea. You can't use 9sp shifters with an
8sp
> > > cassette. Those are exactly what is not compatible. I seem to remember
> > > some questions about the derailleur cog width in connection with using
> > > 8sp derailleurs with 9sp chains, but for the most part the derailleurs
> > > are the same because 8sp and 9sp cassettes have the same width. 9sp
cogs
> > > are just closer together. How much the derailleur moves is determined
by
> > > the shifter. Sram derailleurs need Sram shifters for some reason that
> > > have never bothered to find out, since I have always used Shimano. You
> > > will also need to match the chain with the cassette. IOW, 9sp chain
> > > w/9sp cassette, 8sp chain w/8sp cassette. Chainrings might also be a
> > > problem, although some chainrings are advertised as being usable with
> > > either 8sp or 9sp.
> > >
> > > Maybe we were a little too quick to point out the basic similarity
> > > between 8sp and 9sp derailleurs. I would strongly recommend that you
not
> > > try to mix and match 8sp and 9sp components. Some combos may work, but
> > > IMO you are asking for problems. I have enough trouble getting a
noise-
> > > free setup with an all Shimano 9sp system.
> >
> > I did read about the shifting incompatibility between 8 and 9 spd. There
was
> > however a thread I googled where someone mentioned that if you tune the
> > shifting starting with the middle of the cogs, the shifters could still
> > manage to shift quite smoothly. The guy argued that the cable pull
> > difference between 8 and 9 spd shifters was very small and therefore the
> > above might be possible. I hope to try that.
>
> But did he do it, or was he just theorizing? I'm not saying it won't
> work, but if you ever get it right, fly over here and set all the
> adjustments on my derailleurs, OK? I'll buy beer.

I think it was just a theory so I may not claim that beer yet.

> > Agreed that the chain width would complicate things as well but if the
above
> > works, then using a thicker (i.e. 8spd) chain would be better than using
a 9
> > spd chain. Thats assuming I have enough 8 spd chains and cassettes. I'm
> > actually running Sram attack shifters with an XT rear D and they've
worked
> > well enough. In fact I've only had thumb shifters on my first real bike,
> > which was many years ago.
> >
> > The alternative to not doing the (possibly disastrous) setup above,
would be
> > to get 8 spd shifters or change everything to 9 spd. For quite some time
> > now, most lbs' here have been telling me they don't sell 8 spd stuff
> > anymore. From what I know, its because the distributor here doesn't
bring 8
> > spd stuff in anymore. If I were to order overseas, it would actually be
> > cheaper for me to change all to 9 spd. So unless I get lucky and find an
8
> > spd shifter within the next couple of weeks, I think I'll get the 9 spd
> > shifters.
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification tho.
> >
> > bloocow
>
> I don't see why you don't just look for some used parts to flesh out
> your 8sp system. It may be that your quest to save a little money may
> cost you in the end. But who knows. Let us know how it turns out.
> Tinkering is half the fun of bicycling anyway.

I'll post my findings then.

bloocow - fingers crossed

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home