PDA

View Full Version : Re: HHH 100 and the F-18

NobodyMan
August 25th 03, 01:26 AM
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:48:23 GMT, "mrbubl" >
wrote:

>For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of
>Wichita Falls being schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all was
>TOO COOL........
>
>A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the
>brave.......with lots of very cool toys, USAF had the coolest by far.
>
>See you next year.....7000 of our closest friends!
>
>mrbubl

Geez, the HHH is definitely going downhill. I lived in Wichita Falls
for nine years (93-02) and only missed it once in 2000. I also rode
it while I lived in San Antonio in 89, 91 and 92. It always had over
9,500 riders, and several years the numbers were well over 10,000
registered riders. Every since the move to the new course in 1995,
attendance has started to go down.

Only 7,000 this year? What a letdown! :)

James Scott
August 25th 03, 01:58 PM
"mrbubl" > wrote in message et>...
> For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of
> Wichita Falls being schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all was
> TOO COOL........

Hmmm...I think strafing might be a little too hot even for the HHH
100. Maybe just a high-speed pass?

> A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the
> brave.......with lots of very cool toys, USAF had the coolest by far.

While I agree about the USAF having cool planes, the F-18 is a Navy
jet.

ObRBR: Anybody else get their tires slashed along the Neponset River
Trail last week? Grrr...

JLS
USAF 1994-2000

Cleanbean
August 25th 03, 10:51 PM
"mrbubl" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of
> Wichita Falls being schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all
was
> TOO COOL........
>
> A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the
> brave.......with lots of very cool toys, USAF had the coolest by far.
>
> See you next year.....7000 of our closest friends!
>
> mrbubl

My 2 year old was very wide eyed when the jets passed. My wife and I pulled
him on the 25mi. I thought the weather was rather cool at 7am and for at
least a couple of hours.

Mental note: Only stay at the YMCA if you are able to sleep comfortably
anywhere. I only got 2-3 hrs. sleep.

John in Texas

Chris H
August 26th 03, 04:31 AM
John,
Were you sleeping in the weight room, too? Who was snoring like a freight
train in there?! And won't those the worst friggin' donuts you've ever
eaten?? At least we got some free grub and Red-Bull wannabee spazz-drink!
The commraderie was nice, too. Two anonymous strangers actually greeted me
when I drove up, complimented my bike and offered to carry a bag in. Didn't
even have to tip 'em! I'll be goin' back there next year since it's so
convenient and cheap.

Chris in Plano

P.S.- Those were 2 T-38 trainer jets and the "sonic boom" was actually the
starting cannon. But it was a fun way to start the ride!

Privatelife
August 26th 03, 04:48 AM
Great ride...and cooler this year.
7,515 vs. 10,000...it still a major event. Are other rides getting smaller
too? Maybe its a normal business cycle (no pun intended).

My rituals,
On Friday,Check in, See the Exhibits. Eat at the Olive Garden.
On Saturday, Do the 100 (actually 104ish). Take a nap for recovery. Go eat
steak that evening.

"mrbubl" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of
> Wichita Falls being schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all
was
> TOO COOL........
>
> A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the
> brave.......with lots of very cool toys, USAF had the coolest by far.
>
> See you next year.....7000 of our closest friends!
>
> mrbubl

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home