PDA

View Full Version : Diff'n between chain oil and chain wax?

amesan
July 26th 03, 05:13 PM
And advantanges or disadvantages between the 2, or when to use which?

Frank

Ken
July 26th 03, 06:52 PM
"Zilla" > wrote in news:ijyUa.2710$oq.2043
@fe04.atl2.webusenet.com:
> Chain "oil" usually applies on wet, while chain "wax" usually
> applies on dry. Hence, the wax does not attract dirt as the oil
> would. Lots of folks here use White Lightning for chain wax.
> Wax creates a build up though that one has to scrape off.

Pedro's chain wax doesn't build up much. You can just wash it off with a
hose. You do have to reapply it after *every* ride, though.

M&M
July 27th 03, 11:17 AM
Ken > wrote in message >...
> "Zilla" > wrote in news:ijyUa.2710$oq.2043
> @fe04.atl2.webusenet.com:
> > Chain "oil" usually applies on wet, while chain "wax" usually
> > applies on dry. Hence, the wax does not attract dirt as the oil
> > would. Lots of folks here use White Lightning for chain wax.
> > Wax creates a build up though that one has to scrape off.
>
> Pedro's chain wax doesn't build up much. You can just wash it off with a
> hose. You do have to reapply it after *every* ride, though.

I used Pedros Chain Wax for a half a season and it was self
cleaning . Unlike the messy White Lightning , it heldup better after
stream crossings. Unfortunately , a lot of the LBS in my area rarely
carried it and it became difficult to find . I went back to the Pedros
Extra Dry with Teflon , which seems to work in all conditions and
keeps the grime down . I usually clean my chain when I clean my bike
anyway ( every other ride , except during muddy conditions ).

M&M

Craig Brossman
July 27th 03, 03:30 PM
Ken wrote:

> Pedro's chain wax doesn't build up much. You can just wash it off with a
> hose.
That was basically the problem I found with White Lightening. One stream
crossing and your chain was non-lubed. I've switched back to Tri-Flow
for the mtn bike.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

John Morgan
July 28th 03, 05:39 AM
> That was basically the problem I found with White Lightening. One stream
> crossing and your chain was non-lubed. I've switched back to Tri-Flow
> for the mtn bike.
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

LOL... stream crossing, now THAT is a novel idea...

-John Morgan

Tom Walker
July 28th 03, 01:22 PM
"amesan" > wrote in message >...
> And advantanges or disadvantages between the 2, or when to use which?
>
> Frank

Most of the oil type lubes I've used have done a great job of
lubricating the chain but have also attracted a lot of dirt and gunk
which can cause its own problems with shifting.

I've been using Pedros Ice Wax here in NE for a few years and its done
a great job of lubricating as well as keeping my drivetrain clean. It
keeps it clean enough so that riding buddies are always asking if I
just replaced my cassette.

The big drawback is that wax is not a "squirt it in an forget it" type
of lubricant. I have found that if I soak a new chain in a zip lock
bag filled with some wax (after I've removed that sticky **** that
comes on new chains) then hang it up to dry over night, I get much
better performance out of additional waxes. You need to give your
chain a quick wipe down after every ride, reapply the wax, then wipe
of the excess wax after ten minutes or so.

Its more maintenance than a lot of people are willing to do and most
people that you hear complain about the performance of wax didn't
really use it correctly.

Shaun Rimmer
July 28th 03, 02:55 PM
Mark "(UK)" said:

"dusty riding
conditions."

Heheheheheh - yeah, been an unusual few months weather-wise eh? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - He said 'UK' and 'dusty', heheheheh...........

Mark \(UK\)
July 28th 03, 05:07 PM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> Mark "(UK)" said:
>

> "dusty riding
> conditions."
>

> Heheheheheh - yeah, been an unusual few months weather-wise eh? ',;~}~
>

> Shaun aRe - He said 'UK' and 'dusty', heheheheh...........

yeah although last week or so has been far from dusty. I ride a different
bike in the rain though, and i sure don't use wax on that one's chain...
Can't beat good old light oil in the wet.
Cheers
Mark

Mark \(UK\)
July 29th 03, 09:08 AM
"Tom Walker" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mark \(UK\)" > wrote in message
>
> > Hi Tom. I've used similar wax for a while now. The only problem I've had
is
> > when switching to a new chain. How did you go about removing the factory
> > lube from the chain before its first wax? I went all out and degreased
the
> > thing with Gunk, but I think it degreased too much and stripped the
inner
> > rivets of their lube. Even after a few wax apps the chain still sounded
> > noisy and dry. The only cure I found was soaking in wet lube then wiping
it
> > all off before waxing again, but that's not an ideal solution. Any
ideas?

> > Other than wax is great and has been a god-send to me for dusty riding
> > conditions.
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mark
>
> When I get the new chain I put it in a zip lock freezer bag with some
> Simple Green (undiluted or close to it) and shake it up for a couple
> of minutes. Take the chain out, give it a thorough wiping off and
> maybe let it dry out for a bit if you like. When you're done you
> shouldn't feel any stickiness on the surface of the chain or in the
> links. Next I put the chain in a new bag with some wax in it. You
> don't need to drown it in wax but there should be plenty in there to
> coat the whole chain. Again, shake it up and knead the chain through
> the bag for a minute or two. Hang the chain from one end to dry
> overnight. In the morning, wipe off the chain and you're ready to go.
>
> My experience (not fact or professional opinion, mind you) is that wax
> just will not work properly unless you remove the protective goop the
> chain in packaged in. Also, the wax lasts longer when you take the
> time to first soak the chain and really let it dry. I believe this is
> because it allows the wax to work into the chain deeper. Failure to
> wipe the excess wax off the chain will definitel cause build up of
> wax.

Sounds to the letter like how I did it, except I used Gunk instead. Reckon
it was too strong a degreaser.

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 09:17 AM

Yeah - we've had (are having still) plenty of sky **** ;-(

> I ride a different
> bike in the rain though, and i sure don't use wax on that one's chain...
> Can't beat good old light oil in the wet.
> Cheers
> Mark

Yup! And I take a small bottle with me on all rides anyhow - if it needs it,
flip the bike, 2 minutes and she's done again.

Shaun aRe - Ahem.

Mark \(UK\)
July 29th 03, 10:40 AM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> Mark (UK) > wrote in message
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Mark "(UK)" said:
> > >

> > > "dusty riding
> > > conditions."
> > >

> > > Heheheheheh - yeah, been an unusual few months weather-wise eh? ',;~}~
> > >

> > > Shaun aRe - He said 'UK' and 'dusty', heheheheh...........
> > >

> > yeah although last week or so has been far from dusty.
>
> Yeah - we've had (are having still) plenty of sky **** ;-(
>
> > I ride a different
> > bike in the rain though, and i sure don't use wax on that one's chain...
> > Can't beat good old light oil in the wet.
> > Cheers
> > Mark
>
> Yup! And I take a small bottle with me on all rides anyhow - if it needs
it,
> flip the bike, 2 minutes and she's done again.
>

> Shaun aRe - Ahem.

Where in the UK are you? Apparently we're in for a btching week of rain.
Looks like some wet rides to work are in store.

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 01:27 PM
Mark (UK) > wrote in message

> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> >
> > Mark (UK) > wrote in message

',;~}~

> > > yeah although last week or so has been far from dusty.
> >
> > Yeah - we've had (are having still) plenty of sky **** ;-(
> >
> > > I ride a different
> > > bike in the rain though, and i sure don't use wax on that one's
chain...
> > > Can't beat good old light oil in the wet.
> > > Cheers
> > > Mark
> >
> > Yup! And I take a small bottle with me on all rides anyhow - if it needs
> it,
> > flip the bike, 2 minutes and she's done again.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - Ahem.
> >
> Where in the UK are you? Apparently we're in for a btching week of rain.
> Looks like some wet rides to work are in store.

Lancashire (Whalley, near (well 'in', officially) Clitheroe, Blackburn
etc.), not too far from the Yorkshire border. Rained yesterday and today,
but got a lift in this a.m. (cos I'm rough as hell with a bad, permanently
wheezy chest, and didn't much fancy the bloody great hill right in the
middle of (well, the hill _is_) my 5.3 mile commute).

Looked at the BBC 5 day for Bburn, says worst case cloudy and 61 (IIRC),
best case sunny spells and 71F for Friday - that's all I'm bothered about,
because that's when I tie the knot, and outdoors at that............ ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - "Don't worry love, I know they do 'brollies in a cream colour"
Heheheheh............

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home