PDA

View Full Version : Chainring bolts - tightening tips?

Phil.Winterbourne
July 27th 03, 11:06 PM
I'm at a bit of a loss here, all the bolts that hold on the middle & big
chain rings are loose. The outside takes a standard allen key but the
back just has a notch in each side of the ring. If I had a screwdriver
with a half inch head I'd be ok - but I haven't. So, I've got them
fairly tight now, but they still turn fairly easily with the wrench in.

Anyone got any tips for how I can stop the 'nut' from rotating?

Its a RaceFace Enduro if that helps.

Thanks,

Phil

Nelson Binch
July 27th 03, 11:55 PM
"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
| I'm at a bit of a loss here, all the bolts that hold on the middle & big
| chain rings are loose. The outside takes a standard allen key but the
| back just has a notch in each side of the ring. If I had a screwdriver
| with a half inch head I'd be ok - but I haven't. So, I've got them
| fairly tight now, but they still turn fairly easily with the wrench in.
|
| Anyone got any tips for how I can stop the 'nut' from rotating?
|
| Its a RaceFace Enduro if that helps.

There is a special tool (the most common are by Shimano) that holds the
backing nut in place while you tighten the bolt. If the LBS doesn't have
them to sell you, a very fine pointed needle nose plier might work (hobby
size)

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

John Morgan
July 28th 03, 12:16 AM
> Anyone got any tips for how I can stop the 'nut' from rotating?

Go get yourself a chainring bolt spanner. It's just a couple bucks, and
there's nothing more satisfying than having the right tool for the job.

-John Morgan

Michael Dart
July 28th 03, 02:38 AM
"Nelson Binch" > wrote in message
> "Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> | I'm at a bit of a loss here, all the bolts that hold on the middle & big
> | chain rings are loose. The outside takes a standard allen key but the
> | back just has a notch in each side of the ring. If I had a screwdriver
> | with a half inch head I'd be ok - but I haven't. So, I've got them
> | fairly tight now, but they still turn fairly easily with the wrench in.
> |
> | Anyone got any tips for how I can stop the 'nut' from rotating?
> |
> | Its a RaceFace Enduro if that helps.
>
> There is a special tool (the most common are by Shimano) that holds the
> backing nut in place while you tighten the bolt. If the LBS doesn't have
> them to sell you, a very fine pointed needle nose plier might work (hobby
> size)

My chainring bolt spanner is the only Campagnolo tool I own. ;^)

Mike

Phil.Winterbourne
July 28th 03, 09:23 AM
John Morgan wrote:

> > Anyone got any tips for how I can stop the 'nut' from rotating?
> >

> Go get yourself a chainring bolt spanner. It's just a couple bucks, and
> there's nothing more satisfying than having the right tool for the job.

Thanks guys - I should have known there was a special tool. You are
right it's always nice to have the right tool, and as I say to my wife
"money spent on tools is never wasted".

Phil

Shaun Rimmer
July 28th 03, 09:25 AM
Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
> I'm at a bit of a loss here, all the bolts that hold on the middle & big
> chain rings are loose. The outside takes a standard allen key but the
> back just has a notch in each side of the ring. If I had a screwdriver
> with a half inch head I'd be ok - but I haven't. So, I've got them
> fairly tight now, but they still turn fairly easily with the wrench in.
>
> Anyone got any tips for how I can stop the 'nut' from rotating?
>
> Its a RaceFace Enduro if that helps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

I ain't got the tool for that, either. I start off by making sure the
surface is clean and grease free, then just push a long narrow screwdriver
into the slot, sideways on. Crank the bolt tight, no problem.

I suppose you could go out and buy the tool like those other eejits said,
but where the hell's the fun in that?!?!?!?

Shaun aRe

bloocow
July 28th 03, 01:27 PM
"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> I'm at a bit of a loss here, all the bolts that hold on the middle & big
> chain rings are loose. The outside takes a standard allen key but the
> back just has a notch in each side of the ring. If I had a screwdriver
> with a half inch head I'd be ok - but I haven't. So, I've got them
> fairly tight now, but they still turn fairly easily with the wrench in.
>
> Anyone got any tips for how I can stop the 'nut' from rotating?

Normally I just press my thumb against the bolt while using an allen key to
screw in the other side. Works most of the time but once in a while I use my
15cm steel metal ruler.

bloocow

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home