PDA

View Full Version : Perkiomen Trail completed in Philadelphia area.

Bill Cotton
November 23rd 03, 01:55 AM
http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm I took
a few
pictures of the ceremony and posted then on the above page.
The trail, Perkiomen is a rail to trail project that connect with the
Schuylkill River trail in Oak PA and is now completed to Green Lane
PA. It is presently possible to ride more than 50 miles of continues
trail riding from Walnut St in downtown Philadelphia, through
Norristown and Betzwood section of Valley Forge, to Oak PA and on to
Green Lane PA, near the border of Berks and Leigh counties.
The rail line right of way extends to Allentown.

Ken Brown
November 24th 03, 03:45 PM
Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
interesting section?
I am confused about the length. One place on the web page says the red
line is 17.86 miles and the blue line 24.09 miles, which does not add
up to 50.
Ken
(Bill Cotton) wrote:

>http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm I took
>a few
>pictures of the ceremony and posted then on the above page.
>The trail, Perkiomen is a rail to trail project that connect with the
>Schuylkill River trail in Oak PA and is now completed to Green Lane
>PA. It is presently possible to ride more than 50 miles of continues
>trail riding from Walnut St in downtown Philadelphia, through
>Norristown and Betzwood section of Valley Forge, to Oak PA and on to
>Green Lane PA, near the border of Berks and Leigh counties.
>The rail line right of way extends to Allentown.

Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail

Bill Cotton
November 25th 03, 03:20 PM
Ken Brown > wrote in message >...
> Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
> one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
> interesting section?
> I am confused about the length. One place on the web page says the red
> line is 17.86 miles and the blue line 24.09 miles, which does not add
> up to 50.
> Ken
That information will be updated with the completion of the trail the
red line on the map is 22 miles and the blue line is presently to
Center City about 28 miles.
> (Bill Cotton) wrote:
>
> >http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm I took
> >a few
> >pictures of the ceremony and posted then on the above page.
> >The trail, Perkiomen is a rail to trail project that connect with the
> >Schuylkill River trail in Oak PA and is now completed to Green Lane
> >PA. It is presently possible to ride more than 50 miles of continues
> >trail riding from Walnut St in downtown Philadelphia, through
> >Norristown and Betzwood section of Valley Forge, to Oak PA and on to
> >Green Lane PA, near the border of Berks and Leigh counties.
> >The rail line right of way extends to Allentown.
>
> Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
> Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
> delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail

Roy Zipris
November 25th 03, 08:20 PM
Ken Brown > wrote in message >...
> Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
> one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
> interesting section?

Bill may disagree (and his knowledge and experience far exceed mine),
but if you have only limited time in this area for a trail ride, I'd
recommend riding the old mule barge trial along the Delaware
River--about 60 miles from Morrisville to Easton, or cycle shorter
segments at New Hope, Washington Crossing, or other points along the
way. Second choice: the Perkiomen Trail from Betzwood Park (near
Valley Forge National Park) or Lower Perkiomen Park to Green Lane and
back. Last choice: Betzwood south along the Schuylkill River through
Manayunk (think The Wall during the Wachovia Cycling pro race) to the
Art Museum (think "Rocky"). Then, of course, there's the well-known
Jim Thorpe trail..... Roy Zipris

Bill Cotton
November 26th 03, 09:24 PM
(Roy Zipris) wrote in message >...
> Ken Brown > wrote in message >...
> > Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
> > one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
> > interesting section?
>
> Bill may disagree (and his knowledge and experience far exceed mine),
> but if you have only limited time in this area for a trail ride, I'd
> recommend riding the old mule barge trial along the Delaware
> River--about 60 miles from Morrisville to Easton, or cycle shorter
> segments at New Hope, Washington Crossing, or other points along the
> way. Second choice: the Perkiomen Trail from Betzwood Park (near
> Valley Forge National Park) or Lower Perkiomen Park to Green Lane and
> back. Last choice: Betzwood south along the Schuylkill River through
> Manayunk (think The Wall during the Wachovia Cycling pro race) to the
> Art Museum (think "Rocky"). Then, of course, there's the well-known
> Jim Thorpe trail..... Roy Zipris

Roy you rated the trails very well. I agree completly. I would only
add that the Barge Trail runs on both side of the Delaware River.
Frenchtown NJ, Trenton NJ to New Brunwick through Princeton NJ, it is
the D&R, trail, Delaware and Rartin trail. The section through the
city of Trenton is interupted but doeable. The D&R is a link in the
East Coast Greenway. From them, cue sheets are available to connect
both trails through Trenton NJ and Morrisville PA.

Cliff Allo
November 27th 03, 05:52 PM
What is the surface of this trail? If not paved, it is still suitable
for road bikes?

On 26 Nov 2003 13:24:14 -0800, (Bill Cotton)
wrote:

>Roy you rated the trails very well. I agree completly. I would only
>add that the Barge Trail runs on both side of the Delaware River.
>Frenchtown NJ, Trenton NJ to New Brunwick through Princeton NJ, it is
>the D&R, trail, Delaware and Rartin trail. The section through the
>city of Trenton is interupted but doeable. The D&R is a link in the
>East Coast Greenway. From them, cue sheets are available to connect
>both trails through Trenton NJ and Morrisville PA.

Roy Zipris
November 28th 03, 02:08 AM
Cliff Allo > wrote in message >...
> What is the surface of this trail? If not paved, it is still suitable
> for road bikes?

The trails on both the PA and NJ sides of the Delaware River are
crushed gravel, for the most part. At some point in Upper Bucks
County, the PA path becomes compacted dirt. Really for hybrids and
MTBs.

For comparison, the path from the Art Museum in Phila to Valley Forge
and then for another 4 1/2 miles north is paved, suitable for road
bikes. (In fact, when the pro cyclists come to town, you often see
teams speeding along the trail. ) Above that point (and where the
trail gets prettiest, I think), again crushed gravel, which I've done
on my road bike as far as Collegeville--but slowly and carefully, at
9-10 mph tops. Again, hybrid or MTB would be best. --Roy Zipris

Bill Cotton
November 28th 03, 04:27 AM
Cliff Allo > wrote in message >...
> What is the surface of this trail? If not paved, it is still suitable
> for road bikes?
I suggest tire size as a limitation for these trails, 25 mm tires or
larger is ok. Both trails mention here are hardpack, most area is pack
clay, like a tennis court. other parts are fine stone pack.
About 30 miles of the trail 50 miles from Philadelphia to Green Lane
is paved.

> On 26 Nov 2003 13:24:14 -0800, (Bill Cotton)
> wrote:
>
> >Roy you rated the trails very well. I agree completly. I would only
> >add that the Barge Trail runs on both side of the Delaware River.
> >Frenchtown NJ, Trenton NJ to New Brunwick through Princeton NJ, it is
> >the D&R, trail, Delaware and Rartin trail. The section through the
> >city of Trenton is interupted but doeable. The D&R is a link in the
> >East Coast Greenway. From them, cue sheets are available to connect
> >both trails through Trenton NJ and Morrisville PA.

H. M. Leary
November 28th 03, 02:59 PM
In article >,
(Roy Zipris) wrote:

> Cliff Allo > wrote in message
> > What is the surface of this trail? If not paved, it is still suitable
> > for road bikes?
>
> The trails on both the PA and NJ sides of the Delaware River are
> crushed gravel, for the most part. At some point in Upper Bucks
> County, the PA path becomes compacted dirt. Really for hybrids and
> MTBs.
>
> For comparison, the path from the Art Museum in Phila to Valley Forge
> and then for another 4 1/2 miles north is paved, suitable for road
> bikes. (In fact, when the pro cyclists come to town, you often see
> teams speeding along the trail. ) Above that point (and where the
> trail gets prettiest, I think), again crushed gravel, which I've done
> on my road bike as far as Collegeville--but slowly and carefully, at
> 9-10 mph tops. Again, hybrid or MTB would be best. --Roy Zipris

The Trails are paved as far as Oaks ( Upper Indian Head Road ).
I too ride into Collegville on my road bike on the 3 mile stretch, but you get
beat up and can really only go about 8-10 mph.

I have also gone up to Green Lane on my cross bike w/30mm Michelin Sprints.

In an unofficial conversation with the supperintendant of Parks for Montgomery
County, there are plans to pave the Perkiomen Trail as far north as
Schwenksville by 2005. Weıll see. Remember the Blue Route???

Todayıs Inky had a story about a Schuylkill River Trail extension down to
Bartrams Garden and maybe to the Delaware River. The current state of the trail
in Philadelphia is abismal ( until the River Drives ).

HAND

Roy Zipris
November 29th 03, 12:07 AM
"H. M. Leary" > wrote in message

> In an unofficial conversation with the supperintendant of Parks for Montgomery
> County, there are plans to pave the Perkiomen Trail as far north as
> Schwenksville by 2005. We1ll see. Remember the Blue Route???

Bill, below, is probably right about the tire size/width being the
most important factor. As for paving the Perkiomen Trail, that will
make the path all the more crowded with strollers, rollerbladers,
etc.--a mixed blessing. I think I'd prefer it to remain as it is,
like the Delaware paths. --RZ

Hal
December 5th 03, 04:01 PM
> > Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
> > one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
> > interesting section?
>
> Bill may disagree (and his knowledge and experience far exceed mine),
> but if you have only limited time in this area for a trail ride, I'd
> recommend riding the old mule barge trial along the Delaware
> River--about 60 miles from Morrisville to Easton, or cycle shorter
> segments at New Hope, Washington Crossing, or other points along the
> way. Second choice: the Perkiomen Trail from Betzwood Park (near
> Valley Forge National Park) or Lower Perkiomen Park to Green Lane and
> back. Last choice: Betzwood south along the Schuylkill River through
> Manayunk (think The Wall during the Wachovia Cycling pro race) to the
> Art Museum (think "Rocky"). Then, of course, there's the well-known
> Jim Thorpe trail..... Roy Zipris

For the Schuylkill and Perkiomen Trail, the most interesting is from
Betzwood/Valley Forge west along the trail, out to Perkiomen Junction,
north on Perkiomen Trail as far as Yerkes Road (where the trail
zig-zags)

The next really scenic area of the Perkiomen Trail is north of
Schwenksville, from Spring Mountain Road north to Crusher Road.

Most of the regional bike trails have maps online
The Delaware Canal Towpath,
the Delaware and Raritan Feeder Canal,
the Schuylkill River Trail
the Perkiomen Trail-

there are also some great bike trails around in Philly that have maps
online- Pennypack Park, Norristown Farm Park, Valley Forge Park.

Don't forget John Heinz/Tinicum Marsh, FDR Park.

The best scenery in Pennsylvania is probably the "Palisades of the
Delaware" along the Delaware Canal Towpath, generally north of New
Hope, specifically near Center Bridge, about a mile north of Route 263
along Route 32.

The best Scenery in Philadelphia is harder- If you like forest
scenery the choice is simple - MTB on the Wissahickon, or road bike on
Pennypack.

Here's my suggestion- sample the variety- ride a loop across the city.
around Fairmount Park- bike lanes through Center City out to the Ben
Franklin Bridge, back to Fairmount Park, out Schuylkill River Trail up
the hill and back via Wissahcikon.

This is a MTB/road bike if if hasn't rained lately- but not race bike
route

Starting with the basic 8 mile loop around the Fairmount Park trail-
go east along Kelly Drive, bear right at the light at the end of
Boathouse Row,
past the Fountain and follow Schuylkill River Park to Locust Street,
left on Locust to Rittenhouse Square, north on 18th to Chestnut, east
on Chestnut to Independance Hall, north on 5th to the Ben Franklin
Bridge, you're allowed to ride bikes on the pedestrian walkway walkway
of the bridge- back down the bridge to south on 6th, west on Market to
City Hall- then back up Ben Franklin Parkway, left at the art museum
and out West River Drive to Falls Bridge
Left at Falls Bridge to Ridge Avenue,

(here, the route splits- Schuylkill River Trail to the left,
Wissahickon to the Right- this takes you on both, but it requires
climbing the hardest hill in Philly- to make it a much easier day,
pick one - Schuylkill or Wissahickon- they're both great rides)

along Main Street to left at Lock Street follow Manayunk Canal to
short cobblesone, cross Railroad, don't go under bridge go straight on
Nixon,
bike trail bears right onto Port Royal, - (bike trail contineus left
on flat asphalt rail trail)- you go straight up the belgian block hill
at crest of Hill, right on EVA, left on Shawmont, cross Ridge Ave,
take first left onto Wises Mill Road - cross Henry Avenue and coast
down into Wissahickon and bear right on Forbidden Drive, food at
Valley Green Inn. Follow Forbidden Drive till trail comes to Lincoln
Drive, right on wooden causeway to Ridge Avenue, cross ridge, left
onto sidewalk and follow sidewalk, go straight at Falls Bridge along
Kelly Drive.

Hal

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home