PDA

View Full Version : Parkinson's Survivor Trike Stolen

Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway
December 9th 03, 06:10 AM
A copy of this was also posted at rec.bicycles.rides and
rec.bicycles.misc:

Jim "Parky" Wetherell http://inevergiveup.org , the man using a
tricycle to fight a heroic battle with Parkinson's, had the trike he
is still making payments on stolen here over the weekend. Parky rode
in our NBG Mayors' Ride last summer and visited four such city leaders
for us as per
http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/schedule.php . He
is signed up for this with us once again this year, and has been
invited to do other benefit rides all across the nation but he needs
his trike back. Here is how Parky explains it:

My name is Jim Wetherell and I am in a fight for life with Parkinson's
disease. I have ridden more than 32,000 miles since July of '98, when
I decided to "Never Give Up".

I have been blessed with much help from a number of businesses that
have supplied me with quality equipment. But just recently I decided
to upgrade my touring trike to a lighter and smaller unit because of
transportation problems on the Amtrak trains. I was able to purchase a
new Logo Trike http://www.logotrikes.com/models.htm , but it took all
the money I had for the down on a payment program that I still have
almost a year left to pay on.

This morning, however, someone decided that they wanted my new trike
more than me. It was stolen sometime between 4:30 - 7:30AM, 12/06/03
from my home in Hemet, CA, 80 miles east of San Diego. I ride for
Parkinson's awareness and to give hope to those who need a little push.
My website www.inevergiveup.org is used by many that are fighting the
disease.

To make matters worse, I have just received an invitation to join a
group called Pedalling for
Parkinson's next July in Iowa as a part of RAGBRAI. The group leader,
Jay Alberts PhD is a Parkinson's researcher, studying the effects of
cycling on the mobility of people with Parkinson's. Over a period of 7
days we will be riding 450 miles.

The trike I was planning to use for this ride weighed 34 lbs. The
trike that I have left i weighs almost twice as much. On a long trip
like this extra weight can drain you of any life, especially when it's
not your only battle.

The trike that was taken was purple and teal over silver. It's seat was
blue. If you find it, you can reach me at . I
wish I could afford to offer a reward.

Sincerely
"Parky"
Jim Wetherell
A Parkinson's Survivor
www.inevergiveup.org

Here is what the Logo trike manufacturer said on
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent:

Jim's new LoGo was stolen in Hemet, California, located roughly
between Riverside and Palm Springs. Since it was taken from his
driveway in the very early morning, he believes that it was most
likely to have been a local lowlife that snatched it, probably to some
extent as a crime of opportunity. LoGos are still very rare in the
USA, and we would very much appreciate it if anyone who spots a
tadpole trike anywhere in SoCal that seems at all suspicious would
follow up a bit.

Jim's LoGo looks a bit like a Trice with tapered, upswept chainstays;
its 18" front wheels are unusual. It's easy to distinguish it from
most Greenspeeds by its full rear frame triangle and lumbar support in
the seat. Its silver gray frame may be sprayed over, but it's less
likely than the thief would try to recolor the navy blue seat fabric.
Please email me if you like; I should be able to verify whether any
LoGo in your area is likely to be legitimate. Bike shops should be
alert to any requests for 18" (ETRTO 355) tires or tubes for a trike.
At least drop Jim (Parky) a note to let him know if you may have a
lead.

I realize that many of you have met or at least seen Jim on rides,
most likely on one of his Peninger delta trikes, and like me, have
admired his untiring efforts to encourage other folks who are
struggling with the symptoms of Parkinson' Disease. Most of you are
not aware that this latest setback for Jim follows in the wake of his
automobile being totalled last summer by a drunk driver while it was
parked at a friend's home. This theft on top of that is just way too
much... ARR-RRR-RRGH!!!

Wayne Leggett
LoGo Trikes USA
email:
Phone: 805-302-2379

MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com
79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle Greenway CEO
Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it?
Really die? By moving thru clinical death and reversing
paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home