PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Tour of Colorado - new pics posted

GaryG
January 3rd 04, 09:03 AM
If you're looking for a challenging, inexpensive, supported tour this year,
check out the Bicycle Tour of Colorado (http://www.bicycletourcolo.com).
I've ridden this tour each of the last 3 years, and really enjoyed it each
time. The scenery is outstanding, and the support is good. With an average
of 30,000 feet of climbing, there's plenty of high mountain climbing to
motivate your training. And, it's always organized as a loop ride, which
makes for much easier logistics if you're coming from out of state.

I've posted some photo galleries of past BTC's here:

2001 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2001/BTC2001_1.htm ), which featured
Monarch Pass, the Grand Mesa, Tennessee Pass, and Leadville

2002 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm ), which featured
Slumgullion Pass, Wolf Creek Pass, Coal Creek Pass, and Red Mountain Pass

2003 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2003/BTC0017.htm ), which featured
Garden of the Gods, Mt. Evans, Loveland Pass, and Royal Gorge.

The ride averages around 1500 riders, and I plan on attending again this
year. See ya there!

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

JG
January 11th 04, 10:43 PM
Thanks for many great pictures.
I'd love to go out to CO for cycling some day and go
over those mountains.

Just wanted to ask if it is possible to do use the loop
used in Tour of CO as self-support/loaded touring over the
same circuit. Are the grades OK for loaded ride, and are towns
spaced out at good distances (loaded tour probably stop after
shorter distance than the supported Tours). etc.

Are there archive of old Tour of Colorado from the
previous years so one can get some idea of what woudl be
a good route (besides the 2004 route that is on the web).

Just asking, if I could not go at the time the Tour is offered, or
simply want to do the same route as loaded tour.

Thank you.
Good day.

"GaryG" > wrote in message
> If you're looking for a challenging, inexpensive, supported tour this
year,
> check out the Bicycle Tour of Colorado (http://www.bicycletourcolo.com).
> I've ridden this tour each of the last 3 years, and really enjoyed it each
> time. The scenery is outstanding, and the support is good. With an average
> of 30,000 feet of climbing, there's plenty of high mountain climbing to
> motivate your training. And, it's always organized as a loop ride, which
> makes for much easier logistics if you're coming from out of state.
>
> I've posted some photo galleries of past BTC's here:
>
> 2001 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2001/BTC2001_1.htm ), which
featured
> Monarch Pass, the Grand Mesa, Tennessee Pass, and Leadville
>
> 2002 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm ), which
featured
> Slumgullion Pass, Wolf Creek Pass, Coal Creek Pass, and Red Mountain Pass
>
> 2003 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2003/BTC0017.htm ), which featured
> Garden of the Gods, Mt. Evans, Loveland Pass, and Royal Gorge.
>
> The ride averages around 1500 riders, and I plan on attending again this
> year. See ya there!
>
> --
> ~_-*
> ...G/ \G
> http://www.CycliStats.com
> CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

GaryG
January 11th 04, 11:17 PM
"JG" > wrote in message
> Thanks for many great pictures.
> I'd love to go out to CO for cycling some day and go
> over those mountains.
>
> Just wanted to ask if it is possible to do use the loop
> used in Tour of CO as self-support/loaded touring over the
> same circuit. Are the grades OK for loaded ride, and are towns
> spaced out at good distances (loaded tour probably stop after
> shorter distance than the supported Tours). etc.
>
> Are there archive of old Tour of Colorado from the
> previous years so one can get some idea of what woudl be
> a good route (besides the 2004 route that is on the web).
>
> Just asking, if I could not go at the time the Tour is offered, or
> simply want to do the same route as loaded tour.
>
> Thank you.
> Good day.

I would guess that most of the routes used by the Bicycle Tour of Colorado
would make pretty good routes for loaded touring. The climbs are generally
not all that steep (6-8% average), although the elevations can be a
significant challenge. The roads are usually pretty good, and there are
usually enough towns along the route for re-provisioning (especially in the
Front Range near Denver and Colorado Springs). Plus, there are many
campsites available along the route.

However, I've not done much loaded touring myself. After a week long trip
down the Oregon Coast a few years ago, I decided I much preferred the
company of other cyclists, and having someone else haul my camping gear!

I wish there were archives of past BTC's on their website. I'll suggest
that to their web guy. You can find information on some of the past routes
by looking that the "Photos" links. Most of those links include a
description of the route taken.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

> "GaryG" > wrote in message

[snip]

> > I've posted some photo galleries of past BTC's here:
> >
> > 2001 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2001/BTC2001_1.htm ), which
> featured
> > Monarch Pass, the Grand Mesa, Tennessee Pass, and Leadville
> >
> > 2002 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2002/BTC2002_1.htm ), which
> featured
> > Slumgullion Pass, Wolf Creek Pass, Coal Creek Pass, and Red Mountain
Pass

> > 2003 (http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2003/BTC0017.htm ), which
featured
> > Garden of the Gods, Mt. Evans, Loveland Pass, and Royal Gorge.
> >
> > The ride averages around 1500 riders, and I plan on attending again this
> > year. See ya there!
> >
> > --
> > ~_-*
> > ...G/ \G
> > http://www.CycliStats.com
> > CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Mike Vermeulen
January 12th 04, 04:41 AM
>Just wanted to ask if it is possible to do use the loop
>used in Tour of CO as self-support/loaded touring over the
>same circuit. Are the grades OK for loaded ride, and are towns
>spaced out at good distances (loaded tour probably stop after
>shorter distance than the supported Tours). etc.

Yes. I have ridden most of the roads described in the 2004 Bicycle
Tour of Colorado with my loaded touring bicycle. I have not ridden
the Bicycle Tour of Colorado.

There may be a good challenge, but otherwise a good touring route.
More particular comments:
Day #1: Fort Collins to Estes Park. This is a good ride up a ~4%
grade along the Big Thompson Canyon. The route description says "Glen
Haven". That road has a short steep stretch ~8%+, but if necessary
one can walk. One could also choose to bypass Glen Haven and just
continue up the main road.
Day #2: Estes Park to Granby. This would likely be the most
challenging day. Estes Park is 7500ft. Top of Trail Ridge is
11200ft. It can be fairly windy up top. Depends a bit on how well
you climb with loaded bike and also how much you'll be affected by
altitude. However, beautiful scenery and great descent!
Day #3: Granby to Steamboat. To Hot Sulpher Springs it mostly follows
the river and is a good road. After that I haven't ridden this
particular road.
Day #4: Rest day in Steamboat. Nice little town.
Day #5: Steamboat to Walden. A solid climb up Rabbit Ears Pass. I
believe grades are ~7% for short while. Mostly downhill from there.
Nice open vistas.
Day #6: Walden to Fort Collins. A climb up Cameron Pass, ~4% grade.
Then a wonderful descent.

The following trip report describes a tour I took in May 2003 from
Salt Lake City to Fort Collins that coincidentally duplicates days #4,
#5, #6 of the 2004 tour: http://www.mvermeulen.com/saltlake/

If you do a search of "Trail Ridge Road" and "Bicycle", you'll find a
number of trip reports that describe that days ride.

I don't know as much of the prior routes of Bicycle Tour of Colorado,
but in general in Colorado the grades on the passes are long but not
extremely steep. Altitude definitely affects some riders. Afternoon
thundershowers can also occur. Scenery is frequently spectacular.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Denver C. Fox
January 13th 04, 02:49 AM
> Top of Trail Ridge is
>11200ft.

Rocky Mountain National Park has the highest paved roads in any US National
Park. Trail Ridge Road crests at 12,183 -

http://www.nps.gov/romo/visit/weather.html

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Mike Vermeulen
January 13th 04, 02:59 AM
>Rocky Mountain National Park has the highest paved roads in any US National
>Park. Trail Ridge Road crests at 12,183 -

Yep, thanks, meant to say 12200 in the orignal post.

In any case, it is a good climb from Estes Park. The one time I rode
it on a touring bicycle, I was in slightly better shape and cycled
from Fort Collins up via Estes Park and then down to Hot Sulpher
Springs. If I were to do it now, I'd stay overnight in Estes Park and
get going first thing in the morning.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Alan Simmons
January 15th 04, 09:28 PM
(Mike Vermeulen) wrote in message >...

>.... The route description says "Glen
> Haven". That road has a short steep stretch ~8%+, but if necessary
> one can walk.

That would be Devil's Gulch Rd (43 Rd). The steepest section, a couple
of miles west of Glen Haven, averages about 12% for most of a mile and
has a short pitch or two at about 15%. One does occasionally see a
cyclist walk it.

Alan S.

Per Löwdin
January 18th 04, 03:41 PM
> Just wanted to ask if it is possible to do use the loop
> used in Tour of CO as self-support/loaded touring over the
> same circuit.

Of course, it is possible, though one needs to be able to spin some low
gears. And, unless you are living at high elevation so you are acclimatised,
it would make sense not to beginn with the ridge road. We did last year,
flew into Denver and set off for Estes Park the next day, and it was rather
strenuous. You find a trip report here
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm

Per

January 24th 04, 06:00 PM
Denver C. Fox > wrote:

> Rocky Mountain National Park has the highest paved roads in any US National
> Park. Trail Ridge Road crests at 12,183 -

Just in case anyone wants to ride these:

Trail Ridge road in RMNP is the highese *paved* *through* road in the
US, but...
The road over Mosquito Pass east of Leadville is the highest UNpaved
through road.
The highest paved road in the US is the one up Mt. Evans, off I-70 west
of Denver. It tops out at around 14,250'.
The highest mountain in the US with a (rough, unpaved) road nearly to
the top is Mt. Antero, in the Sawatch Range near Buena Vista.
And there's the road up Pikes Peak, which is higher than Trail Ridge,
though not as high as Evans or Antero.

Bill
| Nonspammers please remove the "z" from address above to reply. |

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home