PDA

View Full Version : Record speed!

Phil.Winterbourne
July 29th 03, 10:12 AM
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

elyob
July 29th 03, 10:14 AM
"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>
> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> Phil

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I reckon
I can top 70mph .. ;)

Lee
July 29th 03, 10:21 AM
"elyob" > wrote in message

> "Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> >
> > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
> >
> > Phil
>
> I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I
reckon
> I can top 70mph .. ;)

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

chris French
July 29th 03, 10:21 AM
In message >, Phil.Winterbourne
> writes
>last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
>the last road back into the town.

Which road was that?

>I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
>last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
>breaking
^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh dear - I hope nothing fell off?

--
Chris French, Leeds

W K
July 29th 03, 10:24 AM
"elyob" > wrote in message

> "Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> >
> > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
> >
> > Phil
>
> I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I
reckon
> I can top 70mph .. ;)

Yikes. Skinny wheels at 70? I'd rather have nice squishy 1.5"ers.
Road bikes are good for making 30mph hills into 40mph hills, but I'd be wary
of doing much above that on a regular basis.

I managed to do 84.9kph on a rather fun roller-coaster roman road.
Didn't even have to put the brakes on to get back to a sensible speed.
(and that was before an excellent road that gets steeper and steeper but
still disappears into a dip. (77kph)

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 10:31 AM
Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>
> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> Phil

Huh - and I thought I'd done well at 38.9mph! That wasn't scary though -
straight road, no junctions, bike felt extremely stable. Surprised I managed
it with 2.6 tyres though. Mebbe that the bike weighs about 36lb helped.

I might have done faster on my skinny tyred (with 65 psi) steel rigid since,
but it ain't got a 'pooter on it yet.

Shaun aRe - good going Phil.

elyob
July 29th 03, 10:32 AM
"Lee" > wrote in message

> "elyob" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> > > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> > >
> > > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round
the
> > > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I
> reckon
> > I can top 70mph .. ;)
> >

> Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

I get bored if I'm doing less than as fast as I can go. Of course, I do this
without hacking through one-way streets the wrong way, on pavements and the
like. As and when I fall off at this speed, I may get 'the fear', but not
yet .... Still coming off at 20 is as dangerous as any faster speed IMO.

Velvet
July 29th 03, 10:36 AM
Lee wrote:
> "elyob" > wrote in message
>
>>"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
>>
>>>last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
>>>the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
>>>chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>>>
>>>I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
>>>last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
>>>breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>>>
>>>Phil
>>
>>I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I
>
> reckon
>
>>I can top 70mph .. ;)
>>

> Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

I was terrified when I got to 17mph down a fairly long hill.
Recently, I was terrified when I got to 6mph on a very steep hill.

Last weekend I was screaming 'Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!' mentally to myself
as I pedalled down a lovely hill to get to 22mph ;-)

Being comfortable with the bike's balance and reach of the bars, and
also making sure it's a hill without the need to brake hard at the
bottom (ie, has a hill going up the other side, doesn't stop at a
junction or a sharp bend etc) is a nice one to try such things on.

I'm no longer terrified of speed downhill, as long as it's on the right
sort of hill, and not horribly steep (like those around where I live
tend to be!)

Velvet

Maureen
July 29th 03, 10:43 AM
"Lee" > wrote in message

> Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things like
"What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"

Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are fearless (:

Maureen

elyob
July 29th 03, 10:49 AM
"Maureen" <maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom> wrote in message
. ..

> "Lee" > wrote in message
>
> > Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!
>

> Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things
like
> "What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"
>
> Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are
fearless (:

> Maureen

Fearless, until I have to talk to a nice looking woman ... then I'd prefer
to be on my bike at 50mph ... the opposite way ... ;)

Lee
July 29th 03, 10:54 AM
"elyob" > wrote in message

> I get bored if I'm doing less than as fast as I can go. Of course, I do
this
> without hacking through one-way streets the wrong way, on pavements and
the
> like. As and when I fall off at this speed, I may get 'the fear', but not
> yet .... Still coming off at 20 is as dangerous as any faster speed IMO.

And thats why i get scared - coming off has gotta hurt!

Succorso
July 29th 03, 10:55 AM
Phil.Winterbourne wrote:

> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>
> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> Phil

You really shouldn't hold on to the traffic for a tow you know.... hehe

I once (in my youth) managed 40mph down Wallington High Street at 4am,
on my way back from the girlfriends place. Scared the cr@p out of me
(the speed, not the girlfriend - although, now I come to mention it...)
and have never attempted to repeat the experience.
Of course, that was in the days before digital computers - I had one of
those ancient cable driven speedos - so was probably hopelessly
inaccurate. I was always rather amused that the dial went up to 70mph.

Way to old and fat for speed records now of course... ;)

--
Succorso

Gonzalez
July 29th 03, 11:03 AM
elyob wrote:

>"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
>> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
>> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
>> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>>
>> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
>> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
>> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>>
>> Phil
>
>I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I reckon
>I can top 70mph .. ;)

Wow! 51.5 is the best I've managed.
--
remove remove to reply

Paul
July 29th 03, 11:03 AM
Are these speeds downhill or on the flat? I tend to get really nervous going
at speed downhill, I have managed 30mph on the flat on a mountain bike. What
is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?

Paul

Gonzalez
July 29th 03, 11:06 AM
Velvet wrote:

>Last weekend I was screaming 'Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!' mentally to myself
>as I pedalled down a lovely hill to get to 22mph ;-)

Last time I heard a cyclist screech something like that as he went
down a hill the screech turned into a scream as he came off his bike
and slid into a hedgerow on a bend.
--
remove remove to reply

Phil.Winterbourne
July 29th 03, 11:16 AM
Paul wrote:

> Are these speeds downhill or on the flat? I tend to get really nervous going
> at speed downhill, I have managed 30mph on the flat on a mountain bike. What
> is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?
>
> Paul

'Very' downhill, the best I've got on the flat is about 24 mph & that's
going as fast as I could in top gear. I think there was a bit of a tail
wind as well :-)

Phil

Velvet
July 29th 03, 11:17 AM
Gonzalez wrote:

> Velvet wrote:
>

>>Last weekend I was screaming 'Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!' mentally to myself
>>as I pedalled down a lovely hill to get to 22mph ;-)
>

> Last time I heard a cyclist screech something like that as he went
> down a hill the screech turned into a scream as he came off his bike
> and slid into a hedgerow on a bend.
> --
> remove remove to reply

Ah, that'll be why I am more cautious when the hill ends in a bend then
;-) And why I keep my 'wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' inside my head, where
no-one else can hear it, so they don't laugh when the day comes that I
*do* fall off :-)

Velvet

Dave Larrington
July 29th 03, 11:26 AM
elyob wrote:

> I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I
> reckon I can top 70mph .. ;)

Should not be difficult if you choose the Dark Side. Darth Oliver of London
Recumbents has hit 70 coming off the Beacon on a Challenge Hurricane.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington
July 29th 03, 11:29 AM
Maureen wrote:

> No doubt all you guys on here are fearless

I used to be, but advancing years bringeth both a keener sense of ones own
mortality #and# more visits from the P+nct+r+ Fairy. Anything over 40 is
unusual these days. I think I need a trike.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington
July 29th 03, 11:35 AM
Paul wrote:

> What is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?

Anything over 70 mph is respectable these days:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2002/results.htm

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Gonzalez
July 29th 03, 11:38 AM
Phil.Winterbourne wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>>
>> Are these speeds downhill or on the flat? I tend to get really nervous going
>> at speed downhill, I have managed 30mph on the flat on a mountain bike. What
>> is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?

30mph is a very respectable speed for a mountain bike on the flat.

A good place to try a fast flat speed is on the Thames Cycle Path
between the Millennium Dome and Greenwich Yacht Club.

--
remove remove to reply

elyob
July 29th 03, 11:42 AM
"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message
> elyob wrote:
>
> > I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I
> > reckon I can top 70mph .. ;)
>
> Should not be difficult if you choose the Dark Side. Darth Oliver of
London
> Recumbents has hit 70 coming off the Beacon on a Challenge Hurricane.

Yeah, I'd like a go on a 'bent too ... :)

Lee
July 29th 03, 11:46 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> Lee wrote:

> A friend of mine was descending on his road bike at 40-45mph. A car
> coming in the opposite direction didn't see him and pulled out to
> overtake a car in front. To give you some idea of the carnage, the car
> was a write-off. Fortunately, he's still able to walk and his helmet
> saved him from becoming a vegetable.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

blimey, my helmet is a good investment then!

Arthur Clune
July 29th 03, 12:15 PM
In uk.rec.cycling Paul > wrote:
: Are these speeds downhill or on the flat? I tend to get really nervous going
: at speed downhill, I have managed 30mph on the flat on a mountain bike. What
: is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?

That's downhill.

30 mph on the flat is really moving, esp if you can sustain it :)

Arthur

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 12:23 PM
elyob > wrote in message

> "Lee" > wrote in message

> the

> > > I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now :) I
> > reckon
> > > I can top 70mph .. ;)
> > >

> > Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!
> >

> I get bored if I'm doing less than as fast as I can go. Of course, I do
this
> without hacking through one-way streets the wrong way, on pavements and
the
> like. As and when I fall off at this speed, I may get 'the fear', but not
> yet .... Still coming off at 20 is as dangerous as any faster speed IMO.

Hmmm, sometimes it works that way, other times, no!

Fastest I came off a bike was about 20 mph - car pulled out _fast_ from a
row of parked cars in front of me, swung right, then left to take a left
hand corner (UK - I was on the left) presenting me with its left rear side.
Front wheelput a nice dent in the back end of the BMW, I went over the boot,
still toe-strapped to the pedals. That hurt - my ankles were stuffed for
weeks - the abrasions to elbows, forearm and knees didn't hurt nearly as
much.........Still, it could have been much worse.......

Shaun aRe

Westie
July 29th 03, 12:23 PM
"Maureen" <maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom> wrote in message
. ..

> "Lee" > wrote in message
>
> > Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!
>

> Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things
like
> "What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"
>
> Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are
fearless (:

> Maureen

You're right. It's the getting old thing I'm sure. But I'm inclined to see
it more as getting more 'knowledgable' rather than getting 'old'.
I approach some things with more caution now (a fearless kind of caution,
mind you...). But then I'm back at physio for my CV collarbone joint that I
busted just before Xmas last year too.
I am now more "knowlegable" of the consequences of hitting the ground upside
down at 10 mph. ;-)
--
Westie

Westie
July 29th 03, 12:27 PM
"Lee" > wrote in message

> "bomba" > wrote in message
> > Lee wrote:
>

> > A friend of mine was descending on his road bike at 40-45mph. A car
> > coming in the opposite direction didn't see him and pulled out to
> > overtake a car in front. To give you some idea of the carnage, the car
> > was a write-off. Fortunately, he's still able to walk and his helmet
> > saved him from becoming a vegetable.
> >
> > --
> > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
> >
> > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
> >

> blimey, my helmet is a good investment then!

No. Property can be a good investment. A good education can be a good
investment. Helmets are for protecting your interests; and a box is for
storing your nuts.
--
Westie

Mark Webb
July 29th 03, 12:31 PM
Had to be a BMW driver of course...

Westie
July 29th 03, 12:32 PM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
> > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> >
> > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
> >
> > Phil
>
> Huh - and I thought I'd done well at 38.9mph! That wasn't scary though -
> straight road, no junctions, bike felt extremely stable. Surprised I
managed
> it with 2.6 tyres though. Mebbe that the bike weighs about 36lb helped.
>

> I might have done faster on my skinny tyred (with 65 psi) steel rigid
since,
> but it ain't got a 'pooter on it yet.
>

> Shaun aRe - good going Phil.

Geez Shaun, at 36 pounds you'd get more speed by dropping it off a balcony
or something!
--
Westie

Phil.Winterbourne
July 29th 03, 12:53 PM
Ian Bates wrote:

> Phil.Winterbourne wrote:
>
> > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> >
> > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> How do you all get to these speeds? I have a mid-range MTB, highest
> gear 44/11, 26x1.5 (Specialized Nimbus) semi-slicks pumped to 80PSI, and
> I have never, according to my (Sigma BC700) cycle computer, gone above
> 70 KPH (approx. 43 MPH), wind and hill assisted and spinning out.
>
> I guess Road bikes and their setup make all the difference.
>
> Or, what I suspect to be the true case, is there is a little gremlin
> inside my cycle computer that plays with all the numbers before
> displaying them, always to make them appear worse than they truly are.
>
> Disappointedly in the sub-50 MPH club,
>
> Ian.

Well I was on a top-of-the-range MTB so you can't blame your tyres :-) I
would have thought that Sheffield would give some fantastic
opportunities for speed!

The hill in question is a corker, at least a mile long and with one of
those little chevron things on it. It's best feature though is that it
is straight and smooth.

I gave up pedalling fairly soon, then just went low over the bars, arse
way out back and let gravity do it's work (maybe my 16 stone helped
there!)

As for speedo gremlins - the best way is to do roll-out test & then
verify with a GPS.

Phil

bomba
July 29th 03, 12:55 PM
Shaun Rimmer wrote:

I went over the boot,
> still toe-strapped to the pedals.

Wouldn't have happened if you'd been using clipless...

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

elyob
July 29th 03, 01:00 PM
"Ian Bates" > wrote in message
> Phil.Winterbourne wrote:
>
> > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> >
> > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> How do you all get to these speeds? I have a mid-range MTB, highest
> gear 44/11, 26x1.5 (Specialized Nimbus) semi-slicks pumped to 80PSI, and
> I have never, according to my (Sigma BC700) cycle computer, gone above
> 70 KPH (approx. 43 MPH), wind and hill assisted and spinning out.
>
> I guess Road bikes and their setup make all the difference.
>
> Or, what I suspect to be the true case, is there is a little gremlin
> inside my cycle computer that plays with all the numbers before
> displaying them, always to make them appear worse than they truly are.
>
> Disappointedly in the sub-50 MPH club,

I've checked my speedo with the mileage etc ... the mileage London-Brighton
was just under 58miles according to my speedo, so it can't be completely
off. The one thing I did forget to mention was that I was sat on the back
wheel of two racing bikes, thus allowing me to slipstream quicker bikes. My
speed was done on a mountain bike with normal gearing.

I did hit 46mph in Cornwall before the 53mph, and that was with 15st me, two
full panniers and a tent onboard.

bomba
July 29th 03, 01:08 PM
Ian Bates wrote:

> How do you all get to these speeds? I have a mid-range MTB, highest
> gear 44/11, 26x1.5 (Specialized Nimbus) semi-slicks pumped to 80PSI, and
> I have never, according to my (Sigma BC700) cycle computer, gone above
> 70 KPH (approx. 43 MPH), wind and hill assisted and spinning out.
>
> I guess Road bikes and their setup make all the difference.

Nope, I've hit 70kmh off road. Of course, by that point you're no
longer pedalling and you're dependent on gravity. It's therefore a case
of finding the right hill. And having the balls to keep off the brakes :)

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 01:11 PM
Mark Webb > wrote in message
> Had to be a BMW driver of course...

Young Asian woman - driving hubbies 'new' pride and joy (she muttered as
much). I was all set to unleash Krakatoa on the driver until I saw the fear
on her face (at what hubby would say/do, not what I would say/do). She
fussed about at me, I just told her to get back in the f*cking car and just
go (I was absolutely , incredibly _FURIOUS_), and to keep her eyes the hell
open in future. She apologised and did just that.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 01:12 PM
bomba > wrote in message
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> I went over the boot,
> > still toe-strapped to the pedals.
>
> Wouldn't have happened if you'd been using clipless...

You don't _know_ that.

Shaun aRe - That was the very last time I used straps.

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 01:15 PM
Westie > wrote in message

> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> >
> > Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
> > > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> > >
> > > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round
the
> > > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > Huh - and I thought I'd done well at 38.9mph! That wasn't scary though -
> > straight road, no junctions, bike felt extremely stable. Surprised I
> managed
> > it with 2.6 tyres though. Mebbe that the bike weighs about 36lb helped.
> >

> > I might have done faster on my skinny tyred (with 65 psi) steel rigid
> since,
> > but it ain't got a 'pooter on it yet.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - good going Phil.
> >

> Geez Shaun, at 36 pounds you'd get more speed by dropping it off a balcony
> or something!

Hey, I still do pretty well on the climbs though - that bike handles
brilliantly (and it don't break too easy for sure!)

Shaun aRe

Arthur Clune
July 29th 03, 01:57 PM
In uk.rec.cycling Ian Bates > wrote:

: How do you all get to these speeds? I have a mid-range MTB, highest
: gear 44/11, 26x1.5 (Specialized Nimbus) semi-slicks pumped to 80PSI, and
: I have never, according to my (Sigma BC700) cycle computer, gone above
: 70 KPH (approx. 43 MPH), wind and hill assisted and spinning out.

Ok,

a) for really fast speeds, your top gear doesn't matter at all - you
won't be spinning anyway

b) slick tyres will make a good difference

c) what really matters is finding a nice straight, steep hill, giving
it a good bit of welly at the top and then getting into as areo a position
as you can. Knees in, elbows in, nose on the stem, bum in the air.

Arthur

lardy ninja
July 29th 03, 02:07 PM
bomba > wrote in message >...
> Fortunately, he's still able to walk and his helmet
> saved him from becoming a vegetable.

WAAAAAA WAAAAAAA!! RED ALERT!! ALL CIVILIANS MUST CLEAR THE AREA
IMMEDIATELY!! HELMET THREAD APPROACHING!! :D

LN

Shaun Rimmer
July 29th 03, 02:24 PM
bomba > wrote in message

> Fortunately, he's still able to walk and his helmet
> saved him from becoming a vegetable.

Bull****! That crappy piece of eggshell covered eggbox made no difference!
If he was going to become a vegetable, it would have happened regardless.

Shaun aRe - (Setting the record straight in the absence of Just Klewless
Plonker) ',;~}~

Ningi
July 29th 03, 03:12 PM
Phil.Winterbourne wrote:
> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>
> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> Phil

I managed 79.9 KM/h (49.65 mph) While cycling in New Zealand. This was
on a MTB, fully loaded with front and read panniers. I was a bit gutted
not to hit 50MPH!

Picture at :

http://www.worldofpete.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/slides/best%20speed.html

Pete

Gonzalez
July 29th 03, 05:34 PM
Phil.Winterbourne wrote:

>As for speedo gremlins - the best way is to do roll-out test & then
>verify with a GPS.

I did exactly that. Over a 3 mile ride my GPS and computer differed
by less than 0.01 miles. Then I went over a speed bump and the GPS
battery momentarily lost contact so the distance data was corrupted.
--
remove remove to reply

Gonzalez
July 29th 03, 05:47 PM
W K wrote:

>Even round sheffield, there will only be one or two candidates for a 50mph
>run.
>BTW - theres no way I'd go that fast without very good visibility and a good
>slowing down area.

Here's a good place.

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/output/gam/gam_ordsvywat-sun-0128920669953.png

Note: the speed limit is Upper Hulme is 50mph.
--
remove remove to reply

David Nutter
July 29th 03, 05:55 PM
Dave Larrington > said:
> Arthur Clune wrote:
>
>> c) what really matters is finding a nice straight, steep hill, giving
>> it a good bit of welly at the top and then getting into as areo a
>> position as you can. Knees in, elbows in, nose on the stem, bum in
>> the air.
>
> This is a good one: http://tinyurl.com/ie4t I hit 64.5 mph down there on

Ah yes. I'm going to be trying to cycle *up* that thing on Friday the 8th on
my way to meet friends in the Lakes for a weekend of drinking. Perhaps
unwisely I tend to be of the "draw straight line on map, find nearest roads"
school of route planning.

I expect this is where I will find out whether 30x28 is low enough... :)

> this: http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/images/gto/HerniaHill93.jpg (I
> think I had a disc on the front wheel as well)

The descent on the other side of the hill looks fun. Everything has its
compensations.

Regards,

-david

Col
July 29th 03, 07:29 PM
My personal best is 54MPH down Stevington hill in Bedfordshire, UK. It was
on Trek VRX hybrid. That took some slowing for the 90 degree bend at the
bottom! Racelines didnt what had hit em!

Col.

"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>
> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> Phil

Shawn Curry
July 29th 03, 07:38 PM
Phil.Winterbourne wrote:
> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>
> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> Phil

Gotta love the need for speed! I hit 50 mph (about 80 kph if I
converted correctly) down a fire road on Green Mtn. near Denver,
Colorado. It reminded me of doing 120 mph on my CBR 600F. The world
constricts down to just what's in front of me. No neurons left to worry
about anything else. When it gets like that, after I slow down I think
"That was fun. Still breathing. Lets just cruise tthe rest of the
way." 'Course my worst crash ever came during the "cruise" after the
raging descent. Go figger.

Cheers,
Shawn

Jack Howard
July 29th 03, 07:39 PM
In message >, Maureen
> writes
>"Lee" > wrote in message

>> Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

>Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things like
>"What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"

I used to think that while screaming down a particularly long and steep
hill in Port Glasgow as a teenager. To this day I can still see the
road surface whizzing past at 40+ (yes, I most definitely was speeding!)
and wondering just how fast my flesh and bones would wear down if I was
to fall off, or hit anything, or the front forks were to give way when I
started to brake for the roundabout at the bottom...

--
- Jack Howard, Systems Development Engineer, Firstnet Services Limited
===[ http://www.firstnet.net.uk <--- Total Internet Solutions ]===

===[ This message subject to http://www.firstnet.net.uk/disclaimer.html ]===

M Series
July 29th 03, 08:46 PM
Just after the Tourmalet I got on the back of a chaingang back to Lourdes
and we were tanking along at 33mph, I couldn't pedal my 53x14 fast enough !

"Arthur Clune" > wrote in message
> In uk.rec.cycling Paul > wrote:
> : Are these speeds downhill or on the flat? I tend to get really nervous
going
> : at speed downhill, I have managed 30mph on the flat on a mountain bike.
What
> : is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?
>
> That's downhill.
>
> 30 mph on the flat is really moving, esp if you can sustain it :)
>
> Arthur

M Series
July 29th 03, 08:47 PM
Or a long tape measure !

"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message

> Ian Bates wrote:
> >
> > Phil.Winterbourne wrote:
> >
> > > last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> > > the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> > > chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
> > >
> > > I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round
the
> > > last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> > > breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
> >
> > How do you all get to these speeds? I have a mid-range MTB, highest
> > gear 44/11, 26x1.5 (Specialized Nimbus) semi-slicks pumped to 80PSI, and
> > I have never, according to my (Sigma BC700) cycle computer, gone above
> > 70 KPH (approx. 43 MPH), wind and hill assisted and spinning out.
> >
> > I guess Road bikes and their setup make all the difference.
> >
> > Or, what I suspect to be the true case, is there is a little gremlin
> > inside my cycle computer that plays with all the numbers before
> > displaying them, always to make them appear worse than they truly are.
> >
> > Disappointedly in the sub-50 MPH club,
> >
> > Ian.
>
> Well I was on a top-of-the-range MTB so you can't blame your tyres :-) I
> would have thought that Sheffield would give some fantastic
> opportunities for speed!
>
> The hill in question is a corker, at least a mile long and with one of
> those little chevron things on it. It's best feature though is that it
> is straight and smooth.
>
> I gave up pedalling fairly soon, then just went low over the bars, arse
> way out back and let gravity do it's work (maybe my 16 stone helped
> there!)
>
> As for speedo gremlins - the best way is to do roll-out test & then
> verify with a GPS.
>
> Phil

the Mark
July 29th 03, 08:53 PM
Maureen wrote:
> "Lee" > wrote in message
>
>> Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!
>

> Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking
> things like "What if my forks broke and I went head first into the
> road at 40mph"
>
> Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are
> fearless (:
>
> Maureen

I had a front wheel fold on my road bike once when I was doing a bit over
20mph. The thing I was most upset about was tearing my favourite tee shirt.

That was 21 years ago, I still have the bike but I must admit I've never
felt like going fast on it. I do on my mountain bike and can't wait to see
how fast I can go on my windcheetah when it arrives. :-)
--
Mark
Road bike, Mountain bike and

Thomas
July 29th 03, 11:38 PM
"Maureen" <maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom> wrote in message
. ..

> "Lee" > wrote in message
>
> > Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!
>

> Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things
like
> "What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"
>
> Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are
fearless (:

Hehe, my only advice is to fall off more often. The more mistakes you make,
deliberate or not, the greater your knowledge is of what the "limit" is all
about.

Thomas, sage.

Thomas
July 29th 03, 11:45 PM
"Paul" > wrote in message
> Sadly I didn't sustain in for long, I just about touched 30mph. 20-25mph
is
> sustainable on the flat on a still day. My mountain bike does has a
48tooth
> large ring and an 11 tooth cog on the cassette which certainly helps
> compared to 42x12 that can be found as top gears on some mountain bikes.
>
> And of course, I guess the accuracy of one's speedo. makes a differance
:-),
> I think that the chart that came with my speedo. was a bit out, since
doing
> a roll out test when getting new tyres my average speeds have dropped a
bit.

Hehe, it's fun going fast.

Recently, I've been attempting to get my cadence up somewhat, so spend a lot
of time on the second chainwell.

So far, my record is 25mph, second chainwheel on front, gear four on the
back.

Admittedly, that's on a scummy cheapo mountain bike on the flat in West
London. Shall definately have to try and find somewhere not too far out of
range to *really* have a try at it. Or die trying.

Thomas.

Westie
July 30th 03, 03:11 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> Nope, I've hit 70kmh off road. Of course, by that point you're no
> longer pedalling and you're dependent on gravity. It's therefore a case
> of finding the right hill. And having the balls to keep off the brakes :)

Yeah, I've hit 60km/h or so off-road before and it was quite fast enough,
thank you. It ended up real brown trousers material.
What'd Holly say on 'Red Dwarf'? Navigating above lightspeed is difficult
because by the time you see an obstacle you've already gone past it...
--
Westie

Lee
July 30th 03, 01:11 PM
"Westie" > wrote in message

> Yeah, I've hit 60km/h or so off-road before and it was quite fast enough,
> thank you. It ended up real brown trousers material.
> What'd Holly say on 'Red Dwarf'? Navigating above lightspeed is difficult
> because by the time you see an obstacle you've already gone past it...
> --
> Westie

Dont tell me, you would see you had fallen off before you actually had!

Future Echos..... now thats scary - especially if it was a nasty fall with
broken bones et al!

Tim Hall
July 30th 03, 07:09 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:29:37 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
> wrote:

>Maureen wrote:
>
>> No doubt all you guys on here are fearless
>
>I used to be, but advancing years bringeth both a keener sense of ones own
>mortality #and# more visits from the P+nct+r+ Fairy. Anything over 40 is
>unusual these days. I think I need a trike.

I'm over 40 these days. I think I need a trike too.

Tim
In space no one can eat ice cream

Slash
July 31st 03, 07:13 AM
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 05:09:20 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" >
scribbled:

>> I had the front wheel on my MTB fold recently, I was doing about 10mph,
>and
>
>The front wheel folds? Like tacos unexpectedly??? Please explain.

I didn't know Montague was making wheelsets.

<rimshot>

http://www.montaguebikes.com/

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Peter
July 31st 03, 09:41 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
> "Peter" > wrote in message
> > < snip >
> > > I had a front wheel fold on my road bike once when I was doing a bit
> over
> > > 20mph. The thing I was most upset about was tearing my favourite tee
> > shirt.
> > >
> > > That was 21 years ago, I still have the bike but I must admit I've
never
> > > felt like going fast on it. I do on my mountain bike and can't wait to
> see
> > > how fast I can go on my windcheetah when it arrives. :-)
> > > --
> > > Mark
> > > Road bike, Mountain bike and
> > > I'm getting something special built for me (I hope it will arrive
soon).

> > I had the front wheel on my MTB fold recently, I was doing about 10mph,
> and
>
> The front wheel folds? Like tacos unexpectedly??? Please explain.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

All I can think is that it was a faulty wheel. The bike was less than a
month old, and hadn't been jumped/dropped etc.

When I picked the bike up, the front wheel was badly buckled, and there was
nothing I could see on the track to cause it. Looking at the wheel from the
front, the best description I can give is a (.

Peter.

Stephen Baker
July 31st 03, 01:17 PM
Peter says:

>Looking at the wheel from the
>front, the best description I can give is a (.

That would be a Pringle, if it is more of a C then it is a taco. ;-)

Steve

PS - Can't remember if you get Pringles in the UK, but it is a
consistently-moulded crisp with a nice gentle curve.

Phil.Winterbourne
July 31st 03, 03:44 PM
Peter wrote:

> "Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> > Peter wrote:

> > > Yup, once you pop, you can't stop! Well, my pringle certainly stopped me
> ;-)
> > >
> > > Peter.
> >
> > Any idea what caused it?
> >
> > Phil
>
> None at all. The track I was on was smooth and clear, nothing to get caught
> up on.
>
> All I can think of is a dud wheel. I checked the spokes before the ride, one
> of the checks I usually do before a long haul and they were all fine.
>
> I had just stood up to start getting up some speed. Don't suppose that did
> it do you?
>
> Peter.

Worn rims?

Phil

Peter
July 31st 03, 04:31 PM
"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message

> Peter wrote:

;-)

> > ;-)

> > > Any idea what caused it?
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > None at all. The track I was on was smooth and clear, nothing to get
caught
> > up on.
> >
> > All I can think of is a dud wheel. I checked the spokes before the ride,
one
> > of the checks I usually do before a long haul and they were all fine.
> >
> > I had just stood up to start getting up some speed. Don't suppose that
did
> > it do you?
> >
> > Peter.
>
> Worn rims?
>
> Phil

Nope, the bike was new, less than a month old. It was all fixed up under
warranty, along with a new helmet and gloves, etc.

Peter.

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 31st 03, 06:01 PM
"Peter" > wrote in message

> "Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> >

> > Peter wrote:

> ;-)

> stopped me
> > > ;-)

> > > None at all. The track I was on was smooth and clear, nothing to get
> caught
> > > up on.
> > >
> > > All I can think of is a dud wheel. I checked the spokes before the
ride,
> one
> > > of the checks I usually do before a long haul and they were all fine.
> > >
> > > I had just stood up to start getting up some speed. Don't suppose that
> did
> > > it do you?
> > >
> > > Peter.
> >
> > Worn rims?
> >
> > Phil
>
> Nope, the bike was new, less than a month old. It was all fixed up under
> warranty, along with a new helmet and gloves, etc.
>
> Peter.

Yeah... that's pretty weird. You should have cited whiplash and gotten an
upgrade on the bike.

What bike was this? Well-known manuf?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

the Mark
July 31st 03, 08:38 PM
Peter wrote:
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
>> "Peter" > wrote in message
>>> < snip >

>>> I had the front wheel on my MTB fold recently, I was doing about
>>> 10mph, and
>>
>> The front wheel folds? Like tacos unexpectedly??? Please explain.
>>
>> --
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
>>

> All I can think is that it was a faulty wheel. The bike was less than
> a month old, and hadn't been jumped/dropped etc.
>
> When I picked the bike up, the front wheel was badly buckled, and
> there was nothing I could see on the track to cause it. Looking at
> the wheel from the front, the best description I can give is a (.
>
> Peter.

In my case I had just come round a bend fairly fast and immediately had to
swerve to avoid a pot-hole, the wheel then just folded. There was no
warning, at least none that I could see. It was a 27 inch wheel and the bike
was only a couple of years old.
--
Mark
Road bike, Mountain bike and
I'm getting something special built for me (I hope it will arrive soon).

Peter
August 1st 03, 09:27 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message

> > ;-)

> > stopped me

> > caught

> ride,
> > one

> > did

> > > Worn rims?
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > Nope, the bike was new, less than a month old. It was all fixed up under
> > warranty, along with a new helmet and gloves, etc.
> >
> > Peter.
> >

> Yeah... that's pretty weird. You should have cited whiplash and gotten an
> upgrade on the bike.
>
> What bike was this? Well-known manuf?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Well, not being blessed with a large wallet (we are in the middle of getting
a new bathroom and kitchen fitted), I opted for a Saracen Vice '03. £200,
but it will do while I save up some serious pennies for a much better bike.

I've had Saracen before and never had any problems.

Peter.

Shaun Rimmer
August 12th 03, 12:39 PM
Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
> >
> > "Stephen Baker" > wrote in message
> > > Peter says:

> > > That would be a Pringle, if it is more of a C then it is a taco. ;-)
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >
> > > PS - Can't remember if you get Pringles in the UK, but it is a
> > > consistently-moulded crisp with a nice gentle curve.
> >
> > Yup, once you pop, you can't stop! Well, my pringle certainly stopped me
;-)

> > Peter.
>
> Any idea what caused it?
>
> Phil

Lever Bro's ?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

August 12th 03, 04:10 PM
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:39:37 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
> wrote:

>Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:

>> > Yup, once you pop, you can't stop! Well, my pringle certainly stopped me
>;-)
>> >
>> > Peter.
>>
>> Any idea what caused it?
>>
>> Phil
>
>Lever Bro's ?
>
>',;~}~
>

>Shaun aRe

welcome back, how was the honeymoon?
Martin

Twohat
August 12th 03, 09:32 PM
"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message
> last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
> the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
> chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)
>
> I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
> last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
> breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.
>
> Phil

I topped 50mph down Gummer's How last year. Helluva job stopping at the main
road at the bottom too.
FWIW I thought about what might happen if my forks broke or my QR came
undone, but the thrill outweighed the threat so I just tucked my knees and
elbows in and crouched as low as poss. You only live once. And it isn't a
foolish yoof thing either, I'm an old dude. You don't grow out of speed
induced adrenaline IMHO.

Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

Phil.Winterbourne
August 12th 03, 11:38 PM
Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
'snip]

> > Any idea what caused it?
> >
> > Phil
>
> Lever Bro's ?
>
> ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe

:=)

Welcome back - missed you at Sleepless.

Phil

Shaun Rimmer
August 13th 03, 01:35 PM
Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >
> > Phil.Winterbourne > wrote in message
> 'snip]
> > >
> > > Any idea what caused it?
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > Lever Bro's ?
> >
> > ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> :=)
>
> Welcome back

Cheers Mr. Phil!

>- missed you at Sleepless.
>
> Phil

Have fun didya?!? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Still got 1500 unread, heheheheh.........

bomba
August 13th 03, 01:44 PM
Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Fantastic, thanks! Gorgeous coastline, countryside, woman - what more could
> a guy want, eh?

Booze. Surely.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Stephen Baker
August 13th 03, 01:45 PM
Twohat says:

>You don't grow out of speed
>induced adrenaline IMHO.

No - but the body does start to add a little GH (Guilt Hormone) into the mix as
you get older. You know the stuff.... "What if I bought the farm? Who would
take of the wife and kids?"

Steve but it _can_ be ignored ;-))

Shaun Rimmer
August 13th 03, 02:36 PM
bomba > wrote in message
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Fantastic, thanks! Gorgeous coastline, countryside, woman - what more
could
> > a guy want, eh?
>
> Booze. Surely.

So surely that it goes without saying ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Drinking Alfa/Mythos/Ouzo and ice at 8: a.m. latest. "I like a
good beer buzz, early in the morning...".

bomba
August 13th 03, 03:08 PM
Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>>Fantastic, thanks! Gorgeous coastline, countryside, woman - what more
>>
> could
>
>>>a guy want, eh?
>>
>>Booze. Surely.
>

> So surely that it goes without saying ',;~}~

Well, you mentioned 'woman' (singular, I noticed)...

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home