PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas to Los Angeles: looking for advice

Jean-Pierre Jacquot
April 28th 04, 03:30 PM
Hello netters,

Having the good fortune to go for a conference in Las Vegas, I'm
planing to spend a few more days of vacation as a ride from Vegas to
Los Angeles, through Death valley. It will be in June.

The current plan is :
- direct flights between Paris and LAX
- Greyhound bus to Vegas
- ride back to LAX
- direct flight between LAX to Paris
Of course, I intend to take my own tourer.

I have a few questions :
- Buses: I've read they take bikes, but are there any condition?
(I would prefer to board the bus with a bike "as is")
- Routes: Any recommandation would be great! From the AAA road-atlas
I can see I will not have much choice between LV and Death Valley and
even to Barstow. I'm more concerned about "entering" the LA area. There,
the AAA maps are not detailed enough. Are there any bike route
(preferably going toward LAX airport)? What kind of map should I try
to find? Any web pointer?
- Accomodation: I plan to use motels (credit-card touring:-), but I
would prefer not to make reservation (I don't want to be caught on
a stupid schedule). Is this reasonable? ANy place to visit or avoid?
- General bits of advice : I already know that June is not the
best of month for this travel, but I don't have the choice:-) I've
dealt with heat during a crossing of Sahara (not on a bike though) some
years ago, so I think I can manage this point. But anything else
necessary to know which a foreigner like me ignores?

Thanks a lot for any answer !

bonne route,

Jean-Pierre

Mike Vermeulen
April 29th 04, 03:21 AM
> - General bits of advice : I already know that June is not the
>best of month for this travel, but I don't have the choice:-) I've
>dealt with heat during a crossing of Sahara (not on a bike though) some
>years ago, so I think I can manage this point. But anything else
>necessary to know which a foreigner like me ignores?

June 2nd is full moon...if you get a chance to bicycle at night
through Death Valley area, can be wonderful. Otherwise avoid
mid-afternoon heat and go early or late. I cycled from San Jose to
Las Vegas the first week of May 2000, and have 104F temperatures in
Furnace Creek. Accomodations were expensive, but in places like
Furnace Creek or Panamint Springs may be useful to make one a few days
in advance since there aren't too many alternatives. For other places
like Ridgecrest or Barstow, I would just wait since there are enough
alternatives.

George Farnsworth has a site (http://www.bikeaccess.net) that
describes access to major airports including five reports related to
LAX. I cycled through the LA area on a holiday (January 1st) and
found the roads not too much more difficult. I've also cycled down
the Pacific Coast multiple times and access from the north to LAX is
pretty straightforward.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Burr
May 2nd 04, 03:38 PM
Morning,
You just going down the I15 to LA or are you going to loop around to
the east or west. LOts of nice things to see.

Water will be your most important thing. Are you going to pull a trailer?

Talk to us then we can "give" advice!

Burr

Ridgecrest

Claire Petersky
May 2nd 04, 05:01 PM
"Jean-Pierre Jacquot" > wrote in message

> Having the good fortune to go for a conference in Las Vegas, I'm
> planing to spend a few more days of vacation as a ride from Vegas to
> Los Angeles, through Death valley. It will be in June.

> - General bits of advice : I already know that June is not the
> best of month for this travel, but I don't have the choice:-) I've
> dealt with heat during a crossing of Sahara (not on a bike though) some
> years ago, so I think I can manage this point.

OK, you say you've crossed the Sahara, so you might know something about
deserts. But I'll just pop up my head and say, it is really something else
to be dealing with the desert when you plan to go. I've done a fair bit of
desert hiking in Southern California, and some in the Las Vegas area. Just
_driving_ between LA and Vegas we would carry a gallon or two of water in
the car, just in case.

I remember a hike I did outside of Las Vegas in June one year. It was 106 F
(41 C) in the shade. That was OK for most of the hike, which was in a steep,
shady canyon. The final km back to the car was completely in the open,
though, and I would estimate it to be more like 120 F (49 C) -- no joke. We
had taken a gallon of water per person, and thought we were doing pretty
well on water for most of the hike. Still, when we got back to the car we
had been completely drained, mostly because of that last bit in the open.
That's not safe -- you want to have something in case of emergencies.

Two years ago we did a three hour bike ride at Red Rocks at the beginning of
July. The trip report may be viewed here: http://tinyurl.com/34nqt. My
husband went through 300 oz (nearly 9 L!) of water in about three hours. We
did not ride during the main heat of the day.

If you're on your bike, you'll be out in the open -- no shade. Mike
Vermeulen in his post suggests riding at night, and it's not a bad idea. At
the very least, you should consider being on the bike at the crack of dawn,
and then having a siesta between noon and four.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Mike Jacoubowsky
May 3rd 04, 07:22 AM
> - General bits of advice : I already know that June is not the
> best of month for this travel, but I don't have the choice:-) I've
> dealt with heat during a crossing of Sahara (not on a bike though) some
> years ago, so I think I can manage this point. But anything else
> necessary to know which a foreigner like me ignores?

Crossing Death Valley in June, on a bike, could be deadly. Services are
spaced for cars, not bikes. And check out this link-

http://www.w3.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/USCA0286

The *average* high temperature in June is 109 degrees (42 degrees C). It
ramps up during the month; on June 1st, the average high is 104, while on
June 30th it's up to 113. Record highs run from 115 to 128 degrees (46 to
53 C!).

The amount of water that a cyclist would go through under such conditions is
nearly unfathomable. Do *not* attempt such a ride during the day. Use
lights and travel at night, when the temperature will be in the 80F/27C
range. Another poster mentioned that June 2nd will be a full moon, and
nighttime rides under such conditions are often praised as being wonderful.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Eric
May 3rd 04, 08:05 PM
>- Buses: I've read they take bikes, but are there any condition?
>(I would prefer to board the bus with a bike "as is")

I don't believe that Greyhound will take bikes "as is". It has
been many years since I last took my bike on a Greyhound bus, but when
I did, I believe I had to put it in a box. I did take a bike "as is"
on a Peter Pan bus in New England 10 years ago, though the
circumstances were unusual. George Farnsworth's site may have
up-to-date information about Greyhound.
I echo the concerns of others about biking across the Mojave
Desert & Death Valley. I wouldn't recommend it, esp. in June. There
is a nice bike ride you can do starting in St. George, Utah, (in
southwest Utah not too far from Las Vegas). The loop includes Snow
Canyon State Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Bryce Canyon
National Park, & Zion National Park. About 7 days of riding. We
spent a couple of additional days in the National Parks. No camping
gear is needed, though one of the small towns (Enterprise) only had
one motel. My friend & I rode it 10 years ago in the 2nd half of May.
It was hot (but bearable) down near St. George, and cold with snow
flurries up at Cedar Breaks (about 3,000m). And just right in Zion.
At that time, the "St. George Shuttle" would take bikes & passengers
from Las Vegas airport to St. George for a very reasonable price. I
think it was about a 2 hour ride from Vegas, maybe a bit less. You
needed to reserve in advance and notify them of your intention of
bringing a bike.
Many years ago biking from the Tetons to Yellowstone, I met a
touring cyclists who told me that he had biked through Death Valley
earlier that summer, and the heat had melted the plastic stiffeners in
his panniers. I think the heat melted a few of his brain cells, as
well.

Burr
May 6th 04, 02:45 AM
The train will take bikes and gear as is. That's how I get to SF to do
the LA ride.

Burr

Eric wrote:

>>- Buses: I've read they take bikes, but are there any condition?
>>(I would prefer to board the bus with a bike "as is")
>

> I don't believe that Greyhound will take bikes "as is". It has
> been many years since I last took my bike on a Greyhound bus, but when
> I did, I believe I had to put it in a box. I did take a bike "as is"
> on a Peter Pan bus in New England 10 years ago, though the
> circumstances were unusual. George Farnsworth's site may have
> up-to-date information about Greyhound.
> I echo the concerns of others about biking across the Mojave
> Desert & Death Valley. I wouldn't recommend it, esp. in June. There
> is a nice bike ride you can do starting in St. George, Utah, (in
> southwest Utah not too far from Las Vegas). The loop includes Snow
> Canyon State Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Bryce Canyon
> National Park, & Zion National Park. About 7 days of riding. We
> spent a couple of additional days in the National Parks. No camping
> gear is needed, though one of the small towns (Enterprise) only had
> one motel. My friend & I rode it 10 years ago in the 2nd half of May.
> It was hot (but bearable) down near St. George, and cold with snow
> flurries up at Cedar Breaks (about 3,000m). And just right in Zion.
> At that time, the "St. George Shuttle" would take bikes & passengers
> from Las Vegas airport to St. George for a very reasonable price. I
> think it was about a 2 hour ride from Vegas, maybe a bit less. You
> needed to reserve in advance and notify them of your intention of
> bringing a bike.
> Many years ago biking from the Tetons to Yellowstone, I met a
> touring cyclists who told me that he had biked through Death Valley
> earlier that summer, and the heat had melted the plastic stiffeners in
> his panniers. I think the heat melted a few of his brain cells, as
> well.

Claire Petersky
May 6th 04, 03:49 AM
"Burr" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> The train will take bikes and gear as is. That's how I get to SF to do
> the LA ride.

Yeah, but Amtrak runs only buses these days between LA and Vegas -- so the
question remains.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Burr
May 6th 04, 04:04 AM

Claire Petersky wrote:
> "Burr" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>The train will take bikes and gear as is. That's how I get to SF to do
>>the LA ride.
>

> Yeah, but Amtrak runs only buses these days between LA and Vegas -- so the
> question remains.
>

> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
> Home of the meditative cyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Matt O'Toole
May 6th 04, 05:23 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:

> "Burr" > wrote in message
> ink.net...

>> The train will take bikes and gear as is. That's how I get to SF to
>> do the LA ride.
>
> Yeah, but Amtrak runs only buses these days between LA and Vegas --
> so the question remains.

FWIW, flights between Vegas and LA, particularly Burbank airport, are often
quite cheap.

Matt O.

Bruce Gilbert
June 2nd 04, 07:54 PM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
> "Jean-Pierre Jacquot" > wrote in message
>
> > Having the good fortune to go for a conference in Las Vegas, I'm
> > planing to spend a few more days of vacation as a ride from Vegas to
> > Los Angeles, through Death valley. It will be in June.
>
> > - General bits of advice : I already know that June is not the
> > best of month for this travel, but I don't have the choice:-) I've
> > dealt with heat during a crossing of Sahara (not on a bike though) some
> > years ago, so I think I can manage this point.
>
> OK, you say you've crossed the Sahara, so you might know something about
> deserts. But I'll just pop up my head and say, it is really something else
> to be dealing with the desert when you plan to go. I've done a fair bit of
> desert hiking in Southern California, and some in the Las Vegas area. Just
> _driving_ between LA and Vegas we would carry a gallon or two of water in
> the car, just in case.
>
> I remember a hike I did outside of Las Vegas in June one year. It was 106
> (41 C) in the shade. That was OK for most of the hike, which was in a
steep,
> shady canyon. The final km back to the car was completely in the open,
> though, and I would estimate it to be more like 120 F (49 C) -- no joke.
We
> had taken a gallon of water per person, and thought we were doing pretty
> well on water for most of the hike. Still, when we got back to the car we
> had been completely drained, mostly because of that last bit in the open.
> That's not safe -- you want to have something in case of emergencies.
>
> Two years ago we did a three hour bike ride at Red Rocks at the beginning
of
> July. The trip report may be viewed here: http://tinyurl.com/34nqt. My
> husband went through 300 oz (nearly 9 L!) of water in about three hours.
We
> did not ride during the main heat of the day.
>
> If you're on your bike, you'll be out in the open -- no shade. Mike
> Vermeulen in his post suggests riding at night, and it's not a bad idea.
At
> the very least, you should consider being on the bike at the crack of
dawn,
> and then having a siesta between noon and four.
>

> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
> Home of the meditative cyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Here is one thing we did in Israel all the time. Fill a Camelbak with ice
cubes and enjoy the cold water for a good portion of the day while walking
around...

Bruce

Jean-Pierre Jacquot
June 4th 04, 11:45 AM
Hi,

Better late than never: I want to thank all the kind people who hage
provided me a lot of useful information. It should have been done
one month ago, just when my computer broke and lost all my
mail/news/boxes...

Preparation is going well. I will try to make a report as I come back.

Jean-Pierre

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home