PDA

View Full Version : This riverside path is the perfect place for a leisurely ride through the trees

Garrison Hilliard
May 6th 04, 03:06 AM
Wednesday, May 5, 2004
Bike the trail
This riverside path is the perfect place for a leisurely ride through the trees
KATIE KELLEY | CIN WEEKLY

To bikers, the Little Miami Scenic Trail looks like a miniature road, right down
to the painted yellow lines. (Photo by Meggan Booker/CiN Weekly)
ABOUT THE TRAIL
The Milford to Loveland portion of the trail is just a small part of the 72-mile
Little Miami Scenic Trail that runs all the way to Springfield. The flat, paved
trail follows an old railway line. For trail maps and other places of interest
along the trail, visit www.lovelandbiketrail.com or www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks
/parks/lilmiami.htm.

Spring is in the air and the cicadas aren't here (yet). So it's a great time to
get out your bike and head to the Little Miami Scenic Trail. Whether you make it
a family experience for Mother's Day or go with a group of friends or a date,
riding the trail gets you out of the traffic and back to nature without even
leaving the Tristate.

One great thing about the flat trail is that it is accessible for bikers of all
skill levels. In the past I've ridden it with a friend who hadn't biked in a
decade. And I recently made the 18-mile-round-trip Milford-to-Loveland portion
with a former member of the Miami Cycling Team.

THE EXPERIENCE

The parking lot in Milford was crowded as we set off near noon on a Saturday. I
realized as soon as I got to Milford that I'd left my bike lock and bike bag at
home. (Unlike me, you should look at your bike before loading it into your car.)

The trail - which resembles a miniature road, right down to the painted yellow
lines - seemingly disappears into a heavily tree-covered area from Milford. "In
the heat of summer, it's a great place because it's about 70 percent shaded,"
says Martin Schickel, owner of the Loveland Bike & Skate Rental. But remember,
if it's chilly before you start, expect it to be even colder on your ride.

The first part of the trail has the roughest pavement - there are even yellow
warning signs. It's not too bad on a mountain or hybrid bike, but the grooves
are torture on inline skates.

As you ride along the trail, note the beautiful natural scenery. You may see
squirrels, deer, geese or even wild turkeys. Several portions of the trail pass
close enough to the Little Miami River that you can see it through the trees.

We saw multiple skaters, bikers, runners, walkers (with dogs) and even horses
before we reached the underpass of I-275. Take note that you may hear gunshots
around mile 1.5. Don't worry: my biking expert assured me there was a shooting
range nearby.

Depending on your speed and how many breaks you take, you'll probably hit
Loveland in about an hour.

STOP AND SNACK

After spending the majority of the nine miles on a tree-covered path, coming
around the bend and seeing Loveland is a bit of a surprise the first time. The
Loveland area of the trail bustles with people most weekends. There are several
food choices available, depending on your appetite.

If you're ready for a meal, try a turkey sandwich with potato chips or carrot
sticks ($4.95) from Loveland Mill, on the left as you come into town. Or,
Schickel recommends the restaurant's fruit smoothie if you just want a snack.

"We're a great place to stop because we're casual," owner Peggy Tannis says. You
can feel comfortable eating there with your bike clothes on. "(Plus), we do have
the outside (eating area)," she adds.

If you're finishing up at Loveland, you might want a cold beverage at Paxton
Grill, just across the street from Loveland Mill. Or take the kids to get a snow
cone at the Trailside Ice Shack, farther up on the right.

Nisbet Park lines the west side of the trail. It has a playground along with
plenty of benches for resting. In case you think of bringing your pets, know
that no dogs are allowed in the park. There's also a relatively clean restroom
facility and drinking fountain available. Stop and see the Loveland Firefighters
Memorial honoring 9/11 on the park's edge, too, before hopping back on your bike
and heading back to Milford.
----

TRAIL ETIQUETTE

• Announce passing to others; pass with caution

• Ride on the right; pass on the left

• Yield to other users of the trail

• Be especially careful of small children or those who are slower on the trail

DON'T FORGET
• A helmet (be safe!)

• A lock for your bike

• Water (it’s not readily available on the Milford-Loveland part of the trail)

• Money to buy snacks

• Sunscreen (parts of the trail are sunny)

• A cell phone (useful to call someone to pick you up if you get a flat or if
you fall and get hurt)

BIKING EVENT
Already done a lot of biking and ready for something fun? Check out the upcoming
Pedal Paddle Parties.

Taking place at 6 p.m. Saturday, June 5, and 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 25, the
events include a 4.5-mile bike ride from Loveland to Foster and then a 1- to
2-hour canoe trip back to Loveland for a cookout around the campfire. (Your bike
will be transported back.)

The cost is $29.50 per person. All ages are welcome. Visit
www.lovelandbiketrail.com or call (513) 683-0468.

http://www.cinweekly.com/content/2004/05/05/0505rec_bikeloveland.asp
-30-

G.T.
May 6th 04, 05:06 AM
Garrison Hilliard wrote:
> Wednesday, May 5, 2004
> Bike the trail
> This riverside path is the perfect place for a leisurely ride through the trees

Hardly appropriate for r.b.t.

Greg

Ken Brown
May 9th 04, 01:36 AM
Been on that trail and I agree that it is a wonderful ride.
Ken

Garrison Hilliard > wrote:

>To bikers, the Little Miami Scenic Trail looks like a miniature road, right down
>to the painted yellow lines..
Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail

Beverly
May 11th 04, 02:52 PM
"Ken Brown" > wrote in message
> Been on that trail and I agree that it is a wonderful ride.
> Ken

It's one of the best trails in the SW Ohio area. I normally ride the
trails in the neighboring county but slip over to the Little Miami trail
when I get the chance. It's now connected with the trails in my county via
the Creekside Trail.

Did you ride the entire trail? They've been extending both ends of it over
the past couple of years.

Beverly

> Garrison Hilliard > wrote:
>
> >To bikers, the Little Miami Scenic Trail looks like a miniature road,
right down
> >to the painted yellow lines..
> Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
> Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
> delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail

Garrison Hilliard
May 12th 04, 03:37 PM
"Beverly" > wrote in message >...
> "Ken Brown" > wrote in message
> > Been on that trail and I agree that it is a wonderful ride.
> > Ken
> >
> It's one of the best trails in the SW Ohio area. I normally ride the
> trails in the neighboring county but slip over to the Little Miami trail
> when I get the chance. It's now connected with the trails in my county via
> the Creekside Trail.

Oh, you're from Dayton!

> Did you ride the entire trail? They've been extending both ends of it over
> the past couple of years.

I don't know about Ken, but I've ridden the trail's entire old length
(Terrace Park, Ohio to Springfield, Ohio) and back afew times... now
the Little Miami trail is being made into part of a cross-state trail
(the Ohio to Erie Trail)
with the eastward turn at Xenia.

Beverly
May 12th 04, 05:59 PM
"Garrison Hilliard" > wrote in message
om...
> "Beverly" > wrote in message
> > "Ken Brown" > wrote in message
> > > Been on that trail and I agree that it is a wonderful ride.
> > > Ken
> > >
> > It's one of the best trails in the SW Ohio area. I normally ride the
> > trails in the neighboring county but slip over to the Little Miami
trail
> > when I get the chance. It's now connected with the trails in my county
via
> > the Creekside Trail.
>
> Oh, you're from Dayton!

Just a little north - Englewood.

> > Did you ride the entire trail? They've been extending both ends of it
over
> > the past couple of years.
>
> I don't know about Ken, but I've ridden the trail's entire old length
> (Terrace Park, Ohio to Springfield, Ohio) and back afew times... now
> the Little Miami trail is being made into part of a cross-state trail
> (the Ohio to Erie Trail)
> with the eastward turn at Xenia.

I spend most of my time on the Five Rivers Metropark bike trails - I'm a
volunteer bike patrolman. When I do get over to the Little Miami I
normally ride the Xenia to Kings Mills area. I haven't been north out of
Xenia for a couple years. I'm looking forward to the completion of more
bike trails in the area. It really is a great place for those of us with
kids, grandkids who don't want to ride the roads. I don't feel like
pulling the two year old granddaughter in a trailer on the streets.

Garrison Hilliard
May 15th 04, 04:12 PM
> > I don't know about Ken, but I've ridden the trail's entire old length
> > (Terrace Park, Ohio to Springfield, Ohio) and back afew times... now
> > the Little Miami trail is being made into part of a cross-state trail
> > (the Ohio to Erie Trail)
> > with the eastward turn at Xenia.
>
> I spend most of my time on the Five Rivers Metropark bike trails - I'm a
> volunteer bike patrolman. When I do get over to the Little Miami I
> normally ride the Xenia to Kings Mills area. I haven't been north out of
> Xenia for a couple years. I'm looking forward to the completion of more
> bike trails in the area. It really is a great place for those of us with
> kids, grandkids who don't want to ride the roads. I don't feel like
> pulling the two year old granddaughter in a trailer on the streets.Saturday,

May 15, 2004
Stroll into nature on Little Miami Trail

I've been exploring perfect trails for walkers but I have redubbed the
Little Miami Scenic Trail the "Elusive Little Miami Scenic Trail"
because unless you already know about it, it's difficult to find. With
few exceptions, there are no signs indicating how to get to the trail,
much of which can't be seen from the road.

Yet it is a 69-mile paved, multiuse byway spanning four Ohio counties
(Clermont, Warren, Greene and Clark, where the headwaters of the
Little Miami are located) and is a part of the Little Miami State Park
and the Little Miami State and National River area.

Still, this elusive quality is what makes this a wonderful walking
trail. Where else can you find a relatively flat, paved, well-kept
walkway that goes miles and miles and offers picturesque and historic
scenery?

But, if you want to know exactly where the trail goes, get a good
local map book, such as Engels Guide Inc. There are three official
staging areas: Loveland, Morrow near Lebanon, and Corwin near Caesar
Creek State Park. Loveland is the nicest and most popular.

Digging into the elusive trail paid off: I found a delightful area, my
favorite so far, in the Fosters area of Maineville.

At the river's edge, I came upon a restaurant and bar, the Train Stop
Inn, which also rents horses; a parking area and clean restrooms
provided by Hamilton Township; and a trail that offered stunning views
of the Little Miami. I walked a 30-minute round-trip or about 3,000
steps, all in shade and most of which was void of vehicular traffic
and noise. Wildflowers, such as violet wild geraniums, blue phlox and
bright yellow golden ragwort joined the white flowers of the dogwood
trees and the fragrant honey locust trees and honeysuckle shrubs.

Little Miami Scenic Trail is the ideal trail for all walkers - it
meets our different needs and goals. It's perfect for beginners;
people with limited time; baby stroller pushers; individuals, couples,
groups, and families; people who are building up their distances;
long-distance walkers; and dog walkers.

I'm building up my distance. One afternoon, I started at the beginning
of the trail at Milford and my goal was to reach Camp Dennison. Due to
time constraints I only got as far as the Galbraith Road crossing - a
5-mile round trip of about one hour and 6,000 steps. I was very close
to Camp Dennison and I will soon return to accomplish my goal.

E-mail

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/05/15/tem_Walk15.html

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home