PDA

View Full Version : Cycling the Ohio River from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh

Mike Vermeulen
May 31st 04, 03:16 AM
Has anyone bicycled along the Ohio River between Cincinnati and
Pittsburgh? I am looking for information about terrain (e.g. how much
the road will go up and down nearby bluffs vs. stay flat against the
river), road conditions, etc.

I have been doing an incremental cross-country bicycle ride one week
at a time and the next likely segment is Cincinnati to Pittsburgh.
Following the river seems like an interesting route. I'm trying to
figure out whether to go on recumbent bicycle or touring bicycle and
terrain plays into that decision.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

p.s. This past week I bicycled from Memphis to Cincinnati (trip report
soon). This included following the Ohio River between Louisville and
Cincinnati. For that segment of the river route:

* IN 62 is flat leaving Louisville with occasional rolling terrain to
Madison, with good descent from hill tops into Madison. Mostly two
lanes and reasonable traffic.
* Crossing river at Madison is easy on 421. Bridge is narrow allowing
one lane of traffic each way, but traffic was reasonable in passing.
* IN36/US42 on south side is flat between Milton and Warsaw. Some
rolling hills from there into Cincinnati. Not a lot of shoulders.

If the next 500 miles of river is similar to this 100, I'll take my
recumbent. If it is considerably hillier, then I'll take my
Cannondale.

Rick Ankrum
May 31st 04, 11:51 PM
Mike Vermeulen wrote:
> Has anyone bicycled along the Ohio River between Cincinnati and
> Pittsburgh? I am looking for information about terrain (e.g. how much
> the road will go up and down nearby bluffs vs. stay flat against the
> river), road conditions, etc.
>
> I have been doing an incremental cross-country bicycle ride one week
> at a time and the next likely segment is Cincinnati to Pittsburgh.
> Following the river seems like an interesting route. I'm trying to
> figure out whether to go on recumbent bicycle or touring bicycle and
> terrain plays into that decision.
>
> --mev, Mike Vermeulen
>
> p.s. This past week I bicycled from Memphis to Cincinnati (trip report
> soon). This included following the Ohio River between Louisville and
> Cincinnati. For that segment of the river route:
>
> * IN 62 is flat leaving Louisville with occasional rolling terrain to
> Madison, with good descent from hill tops into Madison. Mostly two
> lanes and reasonable traffic.
> * Crossing river at Madison is easy on 421. Bridge is narrow allowing
> one lane of traffic each way, but traffic was reasonable in passing.
> * IN36/US42 on south side is flat between Milton and Warsaw. Some
> rolling hills from there into Cincinnati. Not a lot of shoulders.
>
> If the next 500 miles of river is similar to this 100, I'll take my
> recumbent. If it is considerably hillier, then I'll take my
> Cannondale.
I do not think the terrain will be very flat since you will moving
through the Appalachian Mountains. I have driven from Cincinnati to
Parkersburg and it was not flat.

--
<o><><><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><><><><><o>
http://www.texbiker.net -- Texas Bicycling Information Central.

Jeffrey Jones
June 2nd 04, 03:58 AM
In article >, Mike Vermeulen
> wrote:

> Has anyone bicycled along the Ohio River between Cincinnati and
> Pittsburgh? I am looking for information about terrain (e.g. how much
> the road will go up and down nearby bluffs vs. stay flat against the
> river), road conditions, etc.

I rode a short section of this route a long time ago -- about 1987 --
as part of a longer trip. I rode along the Ohio river from East
Liverpool, OH to (I think) Wellsburg WV on the WV side. I don't
remember too much detail about the terrain, except that it was pretty
steep as soon as I moved away from the river.

But, what I really wanted to say -- I'm not sure what your objective
is, but you should know that much of this route (all of it, where I
was) is highly industialized. If you are hoping for scenic river vistas
-- well I mostly recall electric power plants, railroad yards, and
steel mill towns.

Ken Brown
June 8th 04, 07:17 PM
Rick Ankrum > wrote:

>I do not think the terrain will be very flat since you will moving
>through the Appalachian Mountains. I have driven from Cincinnati to
>Parkersburg and it was not flat.

I cycled in the Alps, following the Salzach river, and it was not very
hilly. The fact that the terrain is mountainous does not necessarily
mean hilly cycling, if there is a road or trail that closely follows
the river. On the other hand you can have tough hills in relatively
flat terrain if the road climbs in and out of the river valley.
Hopefully someone will have first-hand info to tell us about the Cinci
- Pitts section.

If you want to see my Alps photos, go to
http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm

Ken
Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail

gschulz
June 9th 04, 03:10 AM
Ken,

I just checked out your Alps photos. They were outstanding. Thanks.

Gerald
_O
_< \_
(_)>(_)

"Ken Brown" > wrote in message
> Rick Ankrum > wrote:
>
> >I do not think the terrain will be very flat since you will moving
> >through the Appalachian Mountains. I have driven from Cincinnati to
> >Parkersburg and it was not flat.
>
> I cycled in the Alps, following the Salzach river, and it was not very
> hilly. The fact that the terrain is mountainous does not necessarily
> mean hilly cycling, if there is a road or trail that closely follows
> the river. On the other hand you can have tough hills in relatively
> flat terrain if the road climbs in and out of the river valley.
> Hopefully someone will have first-hand info to tell us about the Cinci
> - Pitts section.
>
> If you want to see my Alps photos, go to
> http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm
>
> Ken
> Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
> Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
> delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail

Roland2k
June 14th 04, 09:31 PM
Mike Vermeulen > wrote in message >...
> Has anyone bicycled along the Ohio River between Cincinnati and
> Pittsburgh? I am looking for information about terrain (e.g. how much
> the road will go up and down nearby bluffs vs. stay flat against the
> river), road conditions, etc.
>
> I have been doing an incremental cross-country bicycle ride one week
> at a time and the next likely segment is Cincinnati to Pittsburgh.
> Following the river seems like an interesting route. I'm trying to
> figure out whether to go on recumbent bicycle or touring bicycle and
> terrain plays into that decision.

I don't know about the Kentucky/West Virginia side, but the Ohio side
is probably not a good option. I grew up cycling around East
Liverpool. Route 7, south out of the city, becomes a highway with
onramps and offramps until at least Bridgeport (60 miles or so). I'm
pretty sure bicycles are prohibited.

Ohio's roads are not very bicycle-friendly IMO.

Roland

Papayahed1
June 15th 04, 03:31 AM
, Mike Vermeulen
> wrote:

>> Has anyone bicycled along the Ohio River between Cincinnati and
>> Pittsburgh? I am looking for information about terrain (e.g. how much
>> the road will go up and down nearby bluffs vs. stay flat against the
>> river), road conditions, etc.

I've ridden East about 80(?) miles from Cincinnati along the river. For the
most part it was quiet and scenic (on a Sunday AM). It is two lane, but not
much of a shoulder to speak of, and not to put you off, there have been a
number of head on collisions oveer the years on that stretch. The road is
mostly gently rolling as I recall with not too much excursion away from the
river. Things might be different as you get into the Eastern part of the
state.

Mike Vermeulen
June 15th 04, 04:17 AM
>I don't know about the Kentucky/West Virginia side, but the Ohio side
>is probably not a good option. I grew up cycling around East
>Liverpool. Route 7, south out of the city, becomes a highway with
>onramps and offramps until at least Bridgeport (60 miles or so). I'm
>pretty sure bicycles are prohibited.
>
>Ohio's roads are not very bicycle-friendly IMO.
>
>Roland

Thanks. That part of Route 7 does look like limited access road
according to my maps. Interestingly the roads along the Ohio
(including Rt 7) are designated as a "National Scenic Byway"

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Garrison Hilliard
June 15th 04, 06:30 AM
Mike Vermeulen > wrote:
>Has anyone bicycled along the Ohio River between Cincinnati and
>Pittsburgh? I am looking for information about terrain (e.g. how much
>the road will go up and down nearby bluffs vs. stay flat against the
>river), road conditions, etc.

Use the Kentucky side... the Ohio side is VERY bicycle unfriendly!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home