PDA

View Full Version : Ride from Rhode Island to New Jersey

Ray Swartz
June 1st 04, 09:50 PM
I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of New Jersey a
week later, just before July 4th. I have been thinking of riding my
bike from RI to NJ.

Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that goes from
Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck, NY, Poughkeepsie, NY,
Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA (NJ?), and then down the Delaware
River to Lambertville, PA, my ultimate destination.

Has anyone done this ride?

I was wondering

What kind of terrain this route goes through?

Is it mostly rural or urban?

Is it possible to camp out or is this is credit card trip?

I'd appreciate any other thoughts you would have.

Thanks,

Ray

Mike Vermeulen
June 2nd 04, 03:11 AM
>I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of New Jersey a
>week later, just before July 4th. I have been thinking of riding my
>bike from RI to NJ.
>
>Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that goes from
>Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck, NY, Poughkeepsie, NY,
>Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA (NJ?), and then down the Delaware
>River to Lambertville, PA, my ultimate destination.
>
>Has anyone done this ride?

I haven't done this particular ride, but I did ride between Atlantic
City to north of Boston in 1995. My trip report is
http://www.mvermeulen.com/bicycle.coast then look for segment
of June 30th to July 4th.

The route I took was urban and a credit card trip. I would expect
Adventure cycling to be a little more rural and on some smaller roads.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

NYRides
June 2nd 04, 11:50 AM
What part of Rhode Island will you be flying into?

I have a route that would take you down the Rhode Island coastline
(Narragansett) into Connecticut, then ferry you across to Long Island. From
there, we could figure out how to get you to Newark Airport.

Let me know.

TM

"Ray Swartz" > wrote in message
om...
> I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of New Jersey a
> week later, just before July 4th. I have been thinking of riding my
> bike from RI to NJ.
>
> Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that goes from
> Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck, NY, Poughkeepsie, NY,
> Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA (NJ?), and then down the Delaware
> River to Lambertville, PA, my ultimate destination.
>
> Has anyone done this ride?
>
> I was wondering
>
> What kind of terrain this route goes through?
>
> Is it mostly rural or urban?
>
> Is it possible to camp out or is this is credit card trip?
>
> I'd appreciate any other thoughts you would have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Ray Swartz
June 2nd 04, 03:28 PM
I believe that I will be flying into Providence.

Is it better to go south to Long Island or north to connect up with
the adventure cycling route?

Ray

"NYRides" > wrote in message >...
> What part of Rhode Island will you be flying into?
>
> I have a route that would take you down the Rhode Island coastline
> (Narragansett) into Connecticut, then ferry you across to Long Island. From
> there, we could figure out how to get you to Newark Airport.
>
> Let me know.
>
> TM

NYRides
June 2nd 04, 08:14 PM
Ray wrote:

>>>I believe that I will be flying into Providence.

Is it better to go south to Long Island or north to connect up with
the adventure cycling route?<<<

NY Rides replies:

I don't know the Adventure Cycling route, but following is a summary of what
I would do. It's probably a little longer than any other route, but at
least you'll hit some scenery and interesting places to visit:

From Providence, find your way to the East Bay Bike Path, which will take
you about 14 miles to Bristol, Rhode Island. From there, take Rt. 114 south
into Newport, Rhode Island and enjoy a few hours or an overnight there.
From Newport, use the Rack 'n' Ride bus service to cross the Newport and
Jamestown Bridges, then get on Rt. 1A South. From here, it's a nice,
sometimes scenic ride down to Narragansett, where you can stay right on the
water pretty cheap during the week at the Atlantic House.

From the waterside strip at Narragansett, ask how to get to Rt. 1.
Basically, you make a right at the wishing well at the end of the beach
front strip. Then, using a combination of Rt. 1 (boring highway) and Rt. 1A
(more scenic road), you can swing by Misquamicut Beach, then up into
Westerly, RI, a cool little town right on the border with Connecticut.

From Westerly, it's about 17 miles to Mystic, CT, which is another place to
stop and see (or stay over). From Mystic, it's about 11 miles to the New
London Ferry, which will take you to Orient Point, at the tip of Long
Island's north fork. Or, as an alternative, map your self a route along the
Connecticut shoreline to Bridgeport, where you can get a ferry to Port
Jefferson, Long Island.

Once on Long Island, you have a couple of choices for your route. Sound
Avenue, the road you would take a good portion of the way from Orient Point,
is especially scenic, but not very well equipped with services and
refreshment stops. I've only done Long Island (by bike) from Port Jefferson
to New York City, so you might need to consult some other people on this.

Then, depending on how you want to cross into New Jersey, you can use
service roads or bike paths to get to Brooklyn or Manhattan. I'd need to
know more about how much time you have, how much traffic you can tolerate,
etc. to guide you any further.

Was this helpful?

"Ray Swartz" > wrote in message
om...
> I believe that I will be flying into Providence.
>
> Is it better to go south to Long Island or north to connect up with
> the adventure cycling route?
>
> Ray
>
> "NYRides" > wrote in message
> > What part of Rhode Island will you be flying into?
> >
> > I have a route that would take you down the Rhode Island coastline
> > (Narragansett) into Connecticut, then ferry you across to Long Island.
From
> > there, we could figure out how to get you to Newark Airport.
> >
> > Let me know.
> >
> > TM

Ron Wallenfang
June 8th 04, 04:46 AM
I just did that trip two weeks ago in the ooposite direction. I'll open my
comment with a bad news/good news scenario. The bad news is that you can't
travel the NJ side of the Delaware River between Port Jervis and Delaware
Wter Gap, because of construction. The good news is that the alternative
on the PA side, route 209, presented about the best riding on that whole
segment - wide road, not very hilly, not much traffic, at least in May.

As this writer and others have pointed out on other current threads,
east-west travel in the northeast usually means plenty of hills and that
Adventure Cycling route is no exception. You never get higher than about
1500 ft. above sea level, but there's a lot of up and down, especially in
western CT and parts of NY.

If you don't mind going north into MA, I have taken route 20 all the way
across that state, and as east-west roads go, the climbing isn't bad. Once
into NY, another poster has said that the Hudson Valley offers some good N-S
riding.

"Ray Swartz" > wrote in message
om...
> I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of New Jersey a
> week later, just before July 4th. I have been thinking of riding my
> bike from RI to NJ.
>
> Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that goes from
> Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck, NY, Poughkeepsie, NY,
> Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA (NJ?), and then down the Delaware
> River to Lambertville, PA, my ultimate destination.
>
> Has anyone done this ride?
>
> I was wondering
>
> What kind of terrain this route goes through?
>
> Is it mostly rural or urban?
>
> Is it possible to camp out or is this is credit card trip?
>
> I'd appreciate any other thoughts you would have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

ed
June 12th 04, 02:10 PM
(Ray Swartz) wrote in message >...
> I have an opportunity to fly into Rhode Island and out of New Jersey a
> week later, just before July 4th. I have been thinking of riding my
> bike from RI to NJ.
>
> Adventure Cycling has an Atlantic Coast Trail map that goes from
> Oxford, MA through Windsor Locks, CT, Rhinebeck, NY, Poughkeepsie, NY,
> Middletown, NY, Port Jervis, PA (NJ?), and then down the Delaware
> River to Lambertville, PA, my ultimate destination.
>
> Has anyone done this ride?
>
> I was wondering
>
> What kind of terrain this route goes through?
>
> Is it mostly rural or urban?
>
> Is it possible to camp out or is this is credit card trip?
>
> I'd appreciate any other thoughts you would have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

I rode from Springfield MA to NYC and can send you the route if you
like. I planned my trip using as many backroads and rail trails as
possible. Even like this the trip across CT to NY is hilly. There
are only 2 places for camping in CT., Kettletown SP and Black Rock SP.
Hotels in Danbury and Bethel CT. Once in NYC you can take the GWB
over the river to Jersey. Please advise if you want my cue sheets.

Ed

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home