PDA

View Full Version : Advice: SanFrancisco to Santa Cruz

David M
June 9th 04, 04:27 PM
Hi - I am planning a few days biking from SFO down the coast. I notice
there are hostels at Montara (near Half Moon Bay) and Pidgeon point so
I thought I will head in that direction.

My question is what is the level of traffic from downtown SFO down to
Montara and Pidgeon point taking hwy 1? Is this a route cyclists use
or is it not recommended?

What is the best route to take from downtown SFO to get onto hwy 1?

Does anyone know if its possible to carry a bicycle on a bus back from
Santa Cruz to downtown SFO?

Approximately how many hours ride is it from downtown SFO to Sant Cruz
along hwy 1 for a moderatley fit cyclist? Is it hilly or flat?

-thanks in advance for your help..
David

June 9th 04, 06:00 PM
David Murphy writes:

> Hi - I am planning a few days biking from SFO down the coast. I
> notice there are hostels at Montara (near Half Moon Bay) and Pigeon
> point so I thought I will head in that direction.

> My question is what is the level of traffic from downtown SFO down
> to Montara and Pigeon point taking hwy 1? Is this a route cyclists
> use or is it not recommended?

> What is the best route to take from downtown SFO to get onto hwy 1?

Start on the Great Highway or Cliff House in SF and head south.

> Does anyone know if its possible to carry a bicycle on a bus back
> from Santa Cruz to downtown SFO?

No but Santa Cruz buses run north up the coast to Waddell Creek (Big
Basin) with bicycle amenities. You're on your own after that.

> Approximately how many hours ride is it from downtown SFO to Santa
> Cruz along hwy 1 for a moderately fit cyclist? Is it hilly or flat?

SFO is not in downtown SF, it is in Millbrae on the bay side of the
peninsula. The ride down the coast is a day trip of about 75 miles
and usually goes briskly with a prevailing tailwind except before
rainfall, in which case the wind blows northerly. Althoughj
predominantly flat, the route has a few hills of which by far the
largest is past Devil's Slide shown on this map:

http://tinyurl.com/yrbkx
http://tinyurl.com/2pj67
http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/wind/streaklines.shtml

Jobst Brandt

Ken
June 9th 04, 07:14 PM
wrote in news:BmHxc.15988$Fo4.210812
@typhoon.sonic.net:
>> Does anyone know if its possible to carry a bicycle on a bus back
>> from Santa Cruz to downtown SFO?
>
> No but Santa Cruz buses run north up the coast to Waddell Creek (Big
> Basin) with bicycle amenities. You're on your own after that.

Another option is to ride your bike from Santa Cruz over to San Jose or
Gilroy and catch Caltrain back to SFO or SF. San Jose has much more frequent
train service, but the ride is a little hillier. See www.caltrain.org for
schedules and fares.

David M
June 10th 04, 02:52 PM
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the detailed local knowledge.
-David

wrote in message >...
> David Murphy writes:
>
> > Hi - I am planning a few days biking from SFO down the coast. I
> > notice there are hostels at Montara (near Half Moon Bay) and Pigeon
> > point so I thought I will head in that direction.
>
> > My question is what is the level of traffic from downtown SFO down
> > to Montara and Pigeon point taking hwy 1? Is this a route cyclists
> > use or is it not recommended?
>
> > What is the best route to take from downtown SFO to get onto hwy 1?
>
> Start on the Great Highway or Cliff House in SF and head south.
>
> > Does anyone know if its possible to carry a bicycle on a bus back
> > from Santa Cruz to downtown SFO?
>
> No but Santa Cruz buses run north up the coast to Waddell Creek (Big
> Basin) with bicycle amenities. You're on your own after that.
>
> > Approximately how many hours ride is it from downtown SFO to Santa
> > Cruz along hwy 1 for a moderately fit cyclist? Is it hilly or flat?
>
> SFO is not in downtown SF, it is in Millbrae on the bay side of the
> peninsula. The ride down the coast is a day trip of about 75 miles
> and usually goes briskly with a prevailing tailwind except before
> rainfall, in which case the wind blows northerly. Althoughj
> predominantly flat, the route has a few hills of which by far the
> largest is past Devil's Slide shown on this map:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yrbkx
> http://tinyurl.com/2pj67
> http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/wind/streaklines.shtml
>
> Jobst Brandt

Rick Warner
June 11th 04, 07:37 PM
Ken > wrote in message >...
> wrote in news:BmHxc.15988$Fo4.210812
> @typhoon.sonic.net:
> >> Does anyone know if its possible to carry a bicycle on a bus back
> >> from Santa Cruz to downtown SFO?
> >
> > No but Santa Cruz buses run north up the coast to Waddell Creek (Big
> > Basin) with bicycle amenities. You're on your own after that.
>
> Another option is to ride your bike from Santa Cruz over to San Jose or
> Gilroy and catch Caltrain back to SFO or SF. San Jose has much more frequent
> train service, but the ride is a little hillier. See www.caltrain.org for
> schedules and fares.

OK, if you have enough time, and do not mind the hills (I don't ... I
ride them several times/week). But I would not ride down to SJ or
Gilroy. Gilroy has very limited train service, and it is a pain to
get to the station in SJ - too much city riding for my taste. I would
get to Summit take Summit/Skyline to Page Mill, and make my way to
either California St. station or downtown Palo Alto station.

The non-riding alternative is to take the VTA bus #970
(http://www.vta.org/schedules/SC_970.html) from Santa Cruz to the SJ
CalTrain station. Each bus has room on the front for two bikes. The
older CalTrain trains carry 32 bikes on the northernmost car; the
newer trains carry 16. Either should work outside commute hours,
where sometimes the bike car gets a bit crowded.

- rick

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home