PDA

View Full Version : Crackling in Rear Wheel/Hub

TrevorM
July 31st 03, 10:17 AM
Hi guys,

I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I
believe in my rear XT hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's
not as smooth as it was before. I was also noticing that when i have the
bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is moving forward, it also
makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are ONLY
supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a
costly fix? Thanks a lot! :)

--Trevor--

TrevorM
July 31st 03, 07:59 PM
Umm, say around and over $200CAD. :)

Then again I've had the same hub for some years now, I guess it maybe
time for a new one. If that is the case, if it more expensive to get just a
new hub or get a whole new rear wheel set? Thanks a lot!

--Trevor--

> How do you define 'costly'? :)

bomba
July 31st 03, 09:00 PM
TrevorM wrote:

>> How do you define 'costly'? :)
> Umm, say around and over $200CAD. :)

It shouldn't cost more than that. I upgraded to 8 speed last year, and
I think it was about 40 Eur for the freehub, and then about the same for
the labour. That's about $120CAD if my calculations serve me right. Of
course, prices for parts and labour are going to be different on the
other side of the pond.

> Then again I've had the same hub for some years now, I guess it maybe
> time for a new one. If that is the case, if it more expensive to get just a
> new hub or get a whole new rear wheel set? Thanks a lot!

May well be worth your while getting the whole new rear wheel. I doubt
it will be much more.

JD
July 31st 03, 10:40 PM
"TrevorM" > wrote in message >...
> Hi guys,
>
> I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I
> believe in my rear XT hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's
> not as smooth as it was before. I was also noticing that when i have the
> bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is moving forward, it also
> makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are ONLY
> supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a
> costly fix? Thanks a lot! :)

The crappy ****ano freehub body is toast. Expect to pay around $50
($200 canadian) for a new one.

JD