PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavia

Dave
June 16th 04, 01:41 PM
I will be in Denmark for about three weeks beginning in late July, and want
to take one week of that time on a cycle tour. I found bikedenmark.com, but
am looking for something a little more advanced than what they offer. I did
the train/ferry/bus "Norway in a Nutshell" from Bergen a few years ago, and
think it would be great to bike that area. How about Bergen to Oslo? Any
pointers appreciated.

Best regards,
Dave

Robert Broughton
June 16th 04, 04:52 PM
Dave wrote:

> How about Bergen to Oslo? Any
> pointers appreciated.

There's a service road ("anleggsveien") that runs parallel to the railroad
over Hardangervidda, and it's a popular route for cyclists.

--
Bob Broughton
http://broughton.ca/

Frode S.
June 17th 04, 10:59 PM
Hi
Bergen - Oslo is a wonderful trip. Go for "Rallarvegen" over Hardangervidda.
More info: http://www.rallarvegen.no/default.asp

Frode
Trondheim

"Robert Broughton" > skrev i melding
> Dave wrote:
>
> > How about Bergen to Oslo? Any
> > pointers appreciated.
> >

> There's a service road ("anleggsveien") that runs parallel to the railroad
> over Hardangervidda, and it's a popular route for cyclists.
>
> --
> Bob Broughton
> http://broughton.ca/
> Vancouver, BC, Canada
> "Watch your mouth, if you ever want to cross the border. Bad things
> can happen to Canadians who use foul language in the US."
> , Nov. 30, 2003

Per Löwdin
June 19th 04, 12:43 PM
> Any
> pointers appreciated.

Check out http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Norway/

Per
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/MTB.html

David Dermott
June 21st 04, 03:18 AM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Dave wrote:

> I will be in Denmark for about three weeks beginning in late July, and want
> to take one week of that time on a cycle tour. I found bikedenmark.com, but
> am looking for something a little more advanced than what they offer. I did
> the train/ferry/bus "Norway in a Nutshell" from Bergen a few years ago, and
> think it would be great to bike that area. How about Bergen to Oslo? Any
> pointers appreciated.

I'm not sure if you are looking for a group organised tour or for
a self-supported tour.

Others have mentioned Rallarvegen. I prefer to do it in the opposite
direction that most people take , that is, I liked to go from Flåm, up
to Myrdal, Finse and Geilo. There is a 2 km climb of 300m over very
rough road that I had to walk up, but just about everyone I met was
walking their bikes down! Walking up , you can stop at the numerous
waterfalls along the road (since I was was there, one of the falls is now
haunted by "hulder" :-) You could catch a boat from Bergen to Flåm, then
it's about 5 days to Oslo.

See my 1996 trip report:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/nord96/intro.html
(especially the Rallarvegen chapter)
My 1994 trip covered some of the area, but the ferries have changed since
then, and new highway tunnels have changed traffic patterns:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/norden/intro.html

For something a bit different that that:
I found parts of southern and central Sweden very pleasant cycling
(similar to Vermont or Nova Scotia). Often I just followed the green
"Sverigeleden" bicycle signs which usually followed nice roads. You
could do a week loop tour from Helsingborg (short ferry trip from
Denmark) on parts of Sverigeleden and Ginsteleden (marked route on west
coast of Sweden)

Others have mentioned the Trento bike pages:
http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/

Other sites of interest:
http://home.online.no/~enytroen/esykkelh.htm
http://biketouring.eurotourism.net/tours
http://www.ihpva.org/torsten/TdF-93.html

My 2002 trip report is still not ready (2 years late!!!)
I promise that some day it will be available!!! :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Per Löwdin
June 21st 04, 11:19 AM
> I found parts of southern and central Sweden very pleasant cycling
> (similar to Vermont or Nova Scotia). Often I just followed the green
> "Sverigeleden" bicycle signs which usually followed nice roads. You
> could do a week loop tour from Helsingborg (short ferry trip from
> Denmark) on parts of Sverigeleden and Ginsteleden (marked route on west
> coast of Sweden)

Yes, there are plenty of minor roads that winds through a beautiful
landscape of woods, meadows, lakes and small towns, just get good maps.
Sverigeleden is a kind of official bike route, chosen for little traffic,
scenery and things to see, churches, castles, museums, that sort of thing.
http://hem.passagen.se/gfried/karta4.gif Sometimes it is just right, but I
would not hesitate to plan other routes. Tbere is a page on Sverigeleden
here http://hem.passagen.se/gfried/karta4.gif perhaps google will translate.

The south of Sweden, from Dalarna and south, has plenty of pleasant roads,
further north there are less of them, the further north you get the less
people and less roads, sometimes it is just endless forest roads, one can go
for 100 km and see just pines. There are nice routes in the far north too,
one just has to look a little bit more for them.

Per
http://lowdin

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home