PDA

View Full Version : Which airlines fly bikes free?

cal
June 18th 04, 01:09 AM
Anyone know which airlines fly bikes free, or at reduced rate?

TIA.
Cal

Chuck Anderson
June 18th 04, 02:59 AM
cal wrote:

>Anyone know which airlines fly bikes free, or at reduced rate?

http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

(I'm not sure how current this list is.)

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Chris Neary
June 18th 04, 03:53 AM
Another source:

http://www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/default.cfm

>cal wrote:
>
>>Anyone know which airlines fly bikes free, or at reduced rate?
>>

>http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm
>
>(I'm not sure how current this list is.)

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Tim McNamara
June 18th 04, 07:05 PM
cal > writes:

> Anyone know which airlines fly bikes free, or at reduced rate?

On most airlines, bicycles checked through to international
destinations are no charge. They are one of your two allowed pieces
of luggage. Domestic destinations, at least within the US, can cost
you more for your bike than for your seat on the plane. Every airline
gouges bicyclists (and other people with largish sporting equipment,
BTW- not just bicycles).

cheg
June 19th 04, 01:52 AM
"Bonehenge" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:05:22 -0500, Tim McNamara
> > wrote:
>
> >Every airline
> >gouges bicyclists (and other people with largish sporting equipment,
> >BTW- not just bicycles).
>
> Golf clubs very often fly free.
>
> Barry

Lots more rich people golf than ride bikes, including airline board members and
executives.

Per Löwdin
June 19th 04, 12:39 PM
"cal" > skrev i meddelandet
> Anyone know which airlines fly bikes free, or at reduced rate?

Depends where you fly and what sort of ticket you got and how much other
luggage you have. On transatlantic flights with the better companies you can
usually have two pieces checked in and if one is a bike box it is free. But
I don´t know if that goes for the cheapies, Ryan air etc.

We have flown often with bikes, and have sometimes paid, recently we paid
some 80USD for each bike out to Mallorca and home. Have also paid 100USD
each way to Delhi with SAS, had them for free on Swiss to Bangkok, etc. If
they have a fixed charge it is quite ok. The worst is when they want to
charge you the over weight price, think it is 1 percent of the 1 class price
per kilo, or something similar.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Jamie
July 19th 04, 12:16 AM
I had mine in a bike box and checked it as luggage on ATA from Charlotte to
San Francisco, no additional charge. So long as your luggage is under the
weight (Most bikes are) and under the size restriction ( Length + Width +
Height must be less than some magic number) it qualfies as luggage.
"cal" > wrote in message
> Anyone know which airlines fly bikes free, or at reduced rate?
>
> TIA.
> Cal

Steve Juniper
July 19th 04, 12:59 AM
You were just lucky then. Here is ATA bicycle policy, copied from their
website (The "YES $50" is under the column "Charge?"):

Bicycles Must have handlebars fixed sideways and pedals
removed, or be placed in a cardboard container, or
pedals and handlebars encased in plastic, foam or
similar material. Single-seat, non-motorized bicycles
only. Not included in FBA.
YES $50.00
--
Steve Juniper

Ignorance is an evil weed, which dictators may cultivate among their
dupes, but which no democracy can afford among its citizens."
- William H. Beveridge, 1944

"cal" > wrote in message
> Anyone know which airlines fly bikes free, or at reduced rate?
>
> TIA.
> Cal

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home