PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore -- DC w/o Annapolis

June 21st 04, 06:32 PM
Hi,

10 years ago, a friend and I rode from DC (Greenbelt Metro, I think)
to Baltimore. We did not go via annapolis.

I would like to do this trip again, but I can't remember the best
route to take.

Has anyone done this recently and have any pointers??

Thanks,

-H.

Curtis L. Russell
June 21st 04, 08:02 PM
On 21 Jun 2004 10:32:11 -0700, (H) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>10 years ago, a friend and I rode from DC (Greenbelt Metro, I think)
>to Baltimore. We did not go via annapolis.
>
>I would like to do this trip again, but I can't remember the best
>route to take.
>
>Has anyone done this recently and have any pointers??
>
>Thanks,
>
>-H.

Generally speaking, you wouldn't want to include Annapolis - that
would be way out of the way.

It really depends on what part of Baltimore you are talking about.
Most routes I know go through the Agricultural Center in Greenbelt and
take the backroads to Laurel, MD. Getting there is easy enough - Ivy
Lane takes you into Old Greenbelt and then there are a lot of ways
into the Ag Center. The way to Laurel used to be Powder Mill Road,
either taking the last left road before the exit to the BW Parkway or
keep riding to 197 and take a left and follow it into town.

Where you go from Laurel would depend on where in Baltimore you want
to go. Heading down backroads to Old Hanover (behind the airport),
crossing Route 1 and heading toward UMBC in Catonsville gets you to
the Ellicott City/Catonsville area.

Moving up to Howard County and taking their backroads takes you to the
other side of Ellicott City and parts north. Backroads to
Odenton/Severna Park and then Glen Burnie can get you to the Inner
Harbor (actually, I guess the first one will, too.)

Potomac Peddlars used to have regular rides from the park in Old
Greenbelt to both Laurel and to Howard County. Maybe they have
something on their website.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

June 22nd 04, 12:58 PM
Thanks Curtis!

My exact endpoints are:
Greenbelt (metro station) to Downtown Baltimore.

-H.

Curtis L. Russell > wrote in message >...
> On 21 Jun 2004 10:32:11 -0700, (H) wrote:
>
> Generally speaking, you wouldn't want to include Annapolis - that
> would be way out of the way.
>
> It really depends on what part of Baltimore you are talking about.
> Most routes I know go through the Agricultural Center in Greenbelt and
> take the backroads to Laurel, MD. Getting there is easy enough - Ivy
> Lane takes you into Old Greenbelt and then there are a lot of ways
> into the Ag Center. The way to Laurel used to be Powder Mill Road,
> either taking the last left road before the exit to the BW Parkway or
> keep riding to 197 and take a left and follow it into town.
>
> Where you go from Laurel would depend on where in Baltimore you want
> to go. Heading down backroads to Old Hanover (behind the airport),
> crossing Route 1 and heading toward UMBC in Catonsville gets you to
> the Ellicott City/Catonsville area.
>
> Moving up to Howard County and taking their backroads takes you to the
> other side of Ellicott City and parts north. Backroads to

> Odenton/Severna Park and then Glen Burnie can get you to the Inner
> Harbor (actually, I guess the first one will, too.)
>
> Potomac Peddlars used to have regular rides from the park in Old
> Greenbelt to both Laurel and to Howard County. Maybe they have
> something on their website.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...