PDA

View Full Version : SAGBRAW

Eric Hirsch
June 21st 04, 08:51 PM
I'm riding SAGBRAW along the shores of Lake Michigan with Bike
Wisconsin this August. My daughter a 21 year old vegan, (no meat, no
fish, no dairy products), will be riding with me. I'm worried about
finding suitable restaurants and/or health food stores along the
route, which stretches from the Wisconsin/Canadian border to just
north of Milwaukee. Any thoughts from those of you who have done this
ride? I'd also appreciate any advice about starting times in the
mornings, whether to try to make use of the group meals that are sold,
etc. I'm guessing we should start early to avoid missing the showers
at the end, and that the meals won't be of much use to my daughter.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric Hirsch
Rans Stratus (recumbent)
Rhode Island

jmk
June 22nd 04, 03:59 AM
Eric,

We've never done SAGBRAW, although we've done GRABAAWR six times with the
seventh beginning next week. Based on my experience, you almost certainly
will not find the meals offered at the schools to be of any value to your
daughter. The meals on GRABAAWR tend to be run by organizations that are
looking to raise funds... food for the masses so to speak. Great people,
noble causes, just not for a vegan diet. My wife maintains a vegetarian
diet, though she does eat dairy and fish, and we've never had a problem on
GRABAAWR by simply eating off-site. I wish that I could offer further
information on the towns that you'll encounter.

With regard to start times, on GRABAAWR I have learned that it doesn't make
too much sense to leave real early.... unless its real hot. GRABAAWR had
about 900 riders last year, so there wasn't too much contention for showers
or decent camp locations. I think that SAGBRAW has less participants. I've
learned that starting late, enjoying the day and getting in late avoids
crowded showers.

Have fun. Bill does a great job organizing these tours.

Best,
Jim Kruzitski
St Paul, MN
jkruzit <at> excite <dot> com

"Eric Hirsch" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm riding SAGBRAW along the shores of Lake Michigan with Bike
> Wisconsin this August. My daughter a 21 year old vegan, (no meat, no
> fish, no dairy products), will be riding with me. I'm worried about
> finding suitable restaurants and/or health food stores along the
> route, which stretches from the Wisconsin/Canadian border to just
> north of Milwaukee. Any thoughts from those of you who have done this
> ride? I'd also appreciate any advice about starting times in the
> mornings, whether to try to make use of the group meals that are sold,
> etc. I'm guessing we should start early to avoid missing the showers
> at the end, and that the meals won't be of much use to my daughter.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Eric Hirsch
> Rans Stratus (recumbent)
> Rhode Island

Mike Kruger
June 23rd 04, 03:58 AM
"Eric Hirsch" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm riding SAGBRAW along the shores of Lake Michigan with Bike
> Wisconsin this August. My daughter a 21 year old vegan, (no meat, no
> fish, no dairy products), will be riding with me. I'm worried about
> finding suitable restaurants and/or health food stores along the
> route, which stretches from the Wisconsin/Canadian border to just
> north of Milwaukee.

What Wisconsin/Canadian border?

As it happens, my own daughter is a 21 year old vegan -- vegetarian since
14, vegan since 17. I'm not familiar with this specific ride, but rural
Wisconsin in general (i.e. outside of Madison and Milwaukee) isn't vegan
territory, to put it mildly. Manitowoc has a large natural foods industrial
bakery (Natural Ovens of Manitowoc) that's worth a look if the route goes
that way. They have a small outlet store / natural food store in the corner
of the plant. I'd carry whatever she ordinarily might use to supplement
what's likely to be a somewhat endless array of green salads, pasta, and
marinara sauce. Whether that's nuts and seeds, protein powder, dried
mushrooms, Luna bars or whatever depends on your daughter.

On solo tours through Wisconsin, I also find that my daughter's general
speech about the evils of keeping cattle in barns all day so they can eat
endlessly in close quarters and avoid disease only through antibiotics comes
back to me. My daughter's a wonderful person and I respect her views, but
frankly I'm just as glad not to have to hear that speech every time we pass
a cattle barn. Your mileage may vary.

Eric Hirsch
June 23rd 04, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the information Mike. I think we do ride through Manitowoc
so we'll check out Natural Ovens. Sorry about mistaking the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan for Canada. That's a New Englander for you.

Eric Hirsch
Rans Stratus
Rhode Island

"Mike Kruger" > wrote in message >...
> "Eric Hirsch" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm riding SAGBRAW along the shores of Lake Michigan with Bike
> > Wisconsin this August. My daughter a 21 year old vegan, (no meat, no
> > fish, no dairy products), will be riding with me. I'm worried about
> > finding suitable restaurants and/or health food stores along the
> > route, which stretches from the Wisconsin/Canadian border to just
> > north of Milwaukee.
>
> What Wisconsin/Canadian border?
>
> As it happens, my own daughter is a 21 year old vegan -- vegetarian since
> 14, vegan since 17. I'm not familiar with this specific ride, but rural
> Wisconsin in general (i.e. outside of Madison and Milwaukee) isn't vegan
> territory, to put it mildly. Manitowoc has a large natural foods industrial
> bakery (Natural Ovens of Manitowoc) that's worth a look if the route goes
> that way. They have a small outlet store / natural food store in the corner
> of the plant. I'd carry whatever she ordinarily might use to supplement
> what's likely to be a somewhat endless array of green salads, pasta, and
> marinara sauce. Whether that's nuts and seeds, protein powder, dried
> mushrooms, Luna bars or whatever depends on your daughter.
>
> On solo tours through Wisconsin, I also find that my daughter's general
> speech about the evils of keeping cattle in barns all day so they can eat
> endlessly in close quarters and avoid disease only through antibiotics comes
> back to me. My daughter's a wonderful person and I respect her views, but
> frankly I'm just as glad not to have to hear that speech every time we pass
> a cattle barn. Your mileage may vary.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home