PDA

View Full Version : best route from zurich to luzern?

john
June 30th 04, 01:56 AM
Hello everyone.

What is the best bicycle route from Zurich to Luzern? I see that
national bicycle route 9 will take me from Zug to Luzern. So perhaps
I just need a good route from Zurich to Zug. In which case some tips
on finding national bicycle route 9 once in Zug would be welcome also.

Or maybe there is a better route and I should skip the national
bicycle routes altogether?

(Actually, I'll be living/working in Zurich for a month, and I will be
commuting and exploring the area by bicycle. I would like very much
to communicate with other Zurich cyclists to get route advice. If you
can tell me who I might contact I would be very grateful.)

Thanks in advance,
John

Steve Maas
July 1st 04, 03:34 AM
I'd just get a map when you're there and see what looks interesting. The
whole country is so bicycle friendly that you will have a hard time
finding a bad route.

For example, you might go down the west side of the lake and pick up
route 9 where it intersects. Or, if you want to go a little farther, go
down the east side of the lake and pick up route 9 in Rapperswil. Even
that route's probably less than 45 miles.

There is a range of fairly steep hills just west of the lake, which you
have to get over. Any of the locals should be able to tell you what's
the easiest route over them. Probably the national route will be among
the flattest options, and very scenic.

Don't worry, just do it. You'll have a blast! (A real pity that you have
to spend time working....)

Steve

john wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> What is the best bicycle route from Zurich to Luzern? I see that
> national bicycle route 9 will take me from Zug to Luzern. So perhaps
> I just need a good route from Zurich to Zug. In which case some tips
> on finding national bicycle route 9 once in Zug would be welcome also.
>
> Or maybe there is a better route and I should skip the national
> bicycle routes altogether?
>
> (Actually, I'll be living/working in Zurich for a month, and I will be
> commuting and exploring the area by bicycle. I would like very much
> to communicate with other Zurich cyclists to get route advice. If you
> can tell me who I might contact I would be very grateful.)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John

July 1st 04, 06:52 AM
John Fitzpatrick writes:

> What is the best bicycle route from Zurich to Luzern? I see that
> national bicycle route 9 will take me from Zug to Luzern. So
> perhaps I just need a good route from Zurich to Zug. In which case
> some tips on finding national bicycle route 9 once in Zug would be
> welcome also.

I've always ridden to Affoltern a. A. and crossed the Reuss valley to
Muri on RTE 25, then to Gisikon and RTE 4 that take you into Lucerne.
This route has a good agricultural/bicycle paved road parallel to the
main route. From Gisikon it's a main route with shoulders and plenty
of room until you enter Lucerne.

By the way, as you drop down to Lucerne, you'll come past the grand
Museum that depicts ancient wars but across from which is the
wonderful glacier garden and Lucerne Lion Sculpture with reflecting
pool.

http://tinyurl.com/267yv

Jobst Brandt

Ned Mantei
July 1st 04, 08:15 AM
In article >,
Steve Maas > wrote:

>I'd just get a map when you're there and see what looks interesting. The
>whole country is so bicycle friendly that you will have a hard time
>finding a bad route.

You can buy special maps for cyclists. These maps have bicycle-friendly
routes marked out in red. If you arrive at the main train station in
Zurich you can buy them right there in the newspaper shop/kiosk in the
main hall. Unfortunately rather expensive--CHF 26. Also you would want
to have more than one.

--
Ned Mantei
Department of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home