PDA

View Full Version : California rides

Per Löwdin
July 5th 04, 05:59 PM
Hi
We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we can
find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and ride
without luggage between the road rides. Did a similar ride last year in
Colorado http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm

All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard to places with
good singletrack, and safe bike friendly roads and routes.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Terry Morse
July 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Per Löwdin wrote:

> We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
> cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we can
> find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and ride
> without luggage between the road rides.

There are some very nice mountain roads on the San Francisco
Peninsula, within a few miles of the San Francisco Airport. Most of
the offf-road biking is on fire roads, but there is decent
singletrack here and there.

There are a few camping spots scattered throughout the area. Big
Basin is probably the most popular. You should pick up a couple of
important maps, made by Krebs Cycle Products:

San Francisco Peninsula and Santa Cruz Mountains Mountain Biking Map

This covers San Franciso to Santa Cruz in great detail. This map
will get you on the best biking roads:

South San Francisco Bay and Monterey Bay Areas Bicycle Touring Map

You should be able to find both of these in any local bike shop.

This web site will be useful in helping you find a camping spot:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/

Per Löwdin
July 5th 04, 10:36 PM
Thanks Terry, very useful info, should add that we will not stay in the bay
area for long, got seven weeks and can easily bike 80 miles a day, longer if
it is not mountainous. Would like to find some spots with really nice
singletrack.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

"Terry Morse" > skrev i meddelandet
> Per Löwdin wrote:
>
> > We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
> > cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we
can
> > find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and
ride
> > without luggage between the road rides.
>
> There are some very nice mountain roads on the San Francisco
> Peninsula, within a few miles of the San Francisco Airport. Most of
> the offf-road biking is on fire roads, but there is decent
> singletrack here and there.
>
> There are a few camping spots scattered throughout the area. Big
> Basin is probably the most popular. You should pick up a couple of
> important maps, made by Krebs Cycle Products:
>
> San Francisco Peninsula and Santa Cruz Mountains Mountain Biking Map
>
> This covers San Franciso to Santa Cruz in great detail. This map
> will get you on the best biking roads:
>
> South San Francisco Bay and Monterey Bay Areas Bicycle Touring Map
>
> You should be able to find both of these in any local bike shop.
>
> This web site will be useful in helping you find a camping spot:
>
> http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/
>
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Terry Morse
July 6th 04, 12:53 AM
Per Löwdin wrote:

> Thanks Terry, very useful info, should add that we will not stay in the bay
> area for long, got seven weeks and can easily bike 80 miles a day, longer if
> it is not mountainous. Would like to find some spots with really nice
> singletrack.

My knowledge of California MTB trails outside the Bay Area isn't
extensive. You should get better information in alt.mountain-bike.

Steve Juniper
July 6th 04, 04:40 AM
What means "BOB"? Bringing your own bike/s?

Do you mean that you will arrive in SF with 7 weeks to ride? If so, are you
looking for touring rides? 80 miles of mountain biking per day could take
you quite far.

It is cool close to the coast (54 degrees F. outside our door here in
Berkeley at 8 PM and foggy). It can be chilly and windy (especially strong
wind from NW along the coast typically starting late morning and lasting
until maybe 6 PM). Not far inland from us was 104 today, which you might
want to bear in mind. If I rode my bike about 20 minutes east from where we
live in NE Berkeley the weather would change from cool and foggy to hot and
clear.

The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley Hills, east of SF,
have many biking trails and maps are available, but I think they are more
suitable for day rides. Similar parks North and South Bay.

How far do you want to go - one long ride or several shorter ones? If you
want to take a longer ride I would suggest heading north near the coast
(avoiding State Highway 1 as much as possible) along lesser-used roads and
including as much trail ride as possible along the way. I have some of my
own favorite routes which I could suggest, but they are mostly small, paved
roads. Much beauty south down the peninsula, but if you are planning a
longer ride heavy traffic will be difficult to avoid.
--
Steve Juniper

"Those who are willing to sacrifice a little freedom for greater
security deserve neither."
-
- Benjamin Franklin
--

"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message
Hi
We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we can
find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and ride
without luggage between the road rides. Did a similar ride last year in
Colorado http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm

All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard to places with
good singletrack, and safe bike friendly roads and routes.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Boris Foelsch
July 6th 04, 06:05 AM
There are many good choices for single track either in the Sierra or on the
coast. The crossing between caost and Sierra on mountain bikes is a pretty
tough thing, especially in summer heat. I would advise you to cross the
central valley some way other than on bike (Amtrak, car, bus, etc), unless
you don't mind killing a few days.

On the coast, probably the best single track in the (southern) Bay area is
in a couple of places with camping more or less nearby. Modest amounts (2 -3
hours worth, without repeating trails) of good single track can be found in
El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve, Wilder Ranch, the Soquel
Demonstration Forest and a few things around Santa Cruz. I suppose it's
possible to bike to Butano, or Portola State park or Big Basin from some of
those and camp.

Henry Coe State Park (SE of San Jose) is quite large. You could explore and
camp there for days. There is lots of great singletrack, ample filterable
spring water, extremely strenuous and rugged terrain, limited facilities,
mountain lions and more than a good chance of getting heat exhaustion. Be
careful about riding mid day and carry water and a filter. Some of the
springs even offer good swimming opportunities, but it is a little late in
the year for that.

I hear good things about Annadel State Park in Sonoma, but don't know it
myself.

The Sierra is a whole other, bigger thing and perhaps your best bet for a
longer stay. Downieville, the Flume trail, Mr. Toad's, lots of stuff in
National Forests. There are books available on this in Bay Area bike shops.
National Forest are perfect for camping.

Don't ask me about Southern Cal., but it's another possibility.

Boris

"Terry Morse" > wrote in message
> Per Löwdin wrote:
>
> > Thanks Terry, very useful info, should add that we will not stay in the
bay
> > area for long, got seven weeks and can easily bike 80 miles a day,
longer if
> > it is not mountainous. Would like to find some spots with really nice
> > singletrack.
>
> My knowledge of California MTB trails outside the Bay Area isn't
> extensive. You should get better information in alt.mountain-bike.
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Per Löwdin
July 6th 04, 08:39 AM

BOB is a trailer http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Independence5.JPG

> Do you mean that you will arrive in SF with 7 weeks to ride?

Yes, precisely.

> If so, are you looking for touring rides? 80 miles of mountain biking
per day could take
> you quite far.

We want to combine touring with mountain biking, i.e., ride along decent
roads between spots with good singletrack. On road we easily average 80
miles per day unless it is very mountainous. Can even do 160 miles, some
single day, if the conditions are right. On singletrack distance is not
really a factor. Should emphasize that we are not going off-road with the
BOBs, intend to camp, ride some fun singletrack (as dayrides), preferably
the best in California, for a couple of days and then continue to the next
place with good singletrack.

> It is cool close to the coast (54 degrees F. outside our door here in
> Berkeley at 8 PM and foggy). It can be chilly and windy (especially strong
> wind from NW along the coast typically starting late morning and lasting
> until maybe 6 PM). Not far inland from us was 104 today, which you might
> want to bear in mind. If I rode my bike about 20 minutes east from where
we
> live in NE Berkeley the weather would change from cool and foggy to hot
and
> clear.

Thanks, those are things, especially about the fog, that it is not easy to
figure out over here (in Sweden).

> The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley Hills, east of
SF,
> have many biking trails and maps are available, but I think they are more
> suitable for day rides. Similar parks North and South Bay.

Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good safe camping place,
preferably privately owned, i.e.., with showers and someone looking after
the place while we are riding.

> How far do you want to go - one long ride or several shorter ones?

Long rides on road, between places, many short rides on good singletrack.

> If you
> want to take a longer ride I would suggest heading north near the coast
> (avoiding State Highway 1 as much as possible) along lesser-used roads and
> including as much trail ride as possible along the way.

Well, when we are riding with luggage we like to be on a paved road, when we
ride without we like to ride trails.

> I have some of my
> own favorite routes which I could suggest, but they are mostly small,
paved
> roads.

Please do, don´t care to ride unpaved roads with luggage, some Americans
ride off-road with BOBs and they are adverticed as useable off-road, be that
as it may, but we will have too much weight for it to be fun, it would just
be extremely strenuous, prefer to have no luggage off-road. So, suggestions
of small paved safe roads are very welcome. Sometimes we wonder if we are
crazy taking a cycling holiday in the promised land of the automobile?

> Much beauty south down the peninsula, but if you are planning a
> longer ride heavy traffic will be difficult to avoid.

If there are bike shoulders and the ride takes us somewhere nice we can live
with it.

Per

http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin
July 6th 04, 09:24 AM
"Boris Foelsch" > skrev i meddelandet
vers.com...
> I would advise you to cross the
> central valley some way other than on bike (Amtrak, car, bus, etc), unless
> you don't mind killing a few days.

Depends a bit on how many days it would kill, I think we can handle the heat
though it wont be too much fun, have cycled quite a bit in SE-Asia,
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Cyclinginsoutheastasia.htm am more worried about
the traffic. On our map there seem to be only four-lane high ways in some
areas. A day or two is OK, a week is not.

What is Amtrak´s policy with regard to bikes, we will have two bikes and two
trailers, can we just hop on a train? Or will we have to box the bikes?

> On the coast, probably the best single track in the (southern) Bay area is
> in a couple of places with camping more or less nearby. Modest amounts
(2 -3
> hours worth, without repeating trails) of good single track can be found
in
> El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve, Wilder Ranch, the Soquel
> Demonstration Forest and a few things around Santa Cruz. I suppose it's
> possible to bike to Butano, or Portola State park or Big Basin from some
of
> those and camp.
>
> Henry Coe State Park (SE of San Jose) is quite large. You could explore
and
> camp there for days. There is lots of great singletrack, ample filterable
> spring water, extremely strenuous and rugged terrain, limited facilities,
> mountain lions and more than a good chance of getting heat exhaustion. Be
> careful about riding mid day and carry water and a filter. Some of the
> springs even offer good swimming opportunities, but it is a little late in
> the year for that.
>
> I hear good things about Annadel State Park in Sonoma, but don't know it
> myself.

Thanks, I am taking notes. Think I can google up some of those places. Will
have to get a better map.

> The Sierra is a whole other, bigger thing and perhaps your best bet for a
> longer stay. Downieville, the Flume trail, Mr. Toad's, lots of stuff in
> National Forests.

We are absolutely going to the Sierras, and to the Redwood empire.

> There are books available on this in Bay Area bike shops.

We will get some of those.

> National Forest are perfect for camping.
>
> Don't ask me about Southern Cal., but it's another possibility.

Yes, we have a vague idea that it would be nice to do a kind of loop that
includes part of the coast towards LA, the Sierras, and then Redwood Empire.
We are not purists in any sense, that have to bike all the way, a day or two
in the Central Valley will be fun, after all we are tourists so it is news
to us, but more than that may be a terrible bore, so if we can hop on a
train or a bus without to much hassle, and get to an area with better
cycling we will gladly do that.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Terry Morse
July 6th 04, 02:15 PM
Per Löwdin wrote:

> Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good safe camping place,
> preferably privately owned, i.e.., with showers and someone looking after
> the place while we are riding.

There are not that many private campgrounds in the state, mostly
state parks. KOA is one of the private chains:

http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/ca/

Peter
July 6th 04, 02:59 PM
Terry Morse wrote:

> Per Löwdin wrote:
>

>>Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good safe camping place,
>>preferably privately owned, i.e.., with showers and someone looking after
>>the place while we are riding.
>

> There are not that many private campgrounds in the state, mostly
> state parks. KOA is one of the private chains:
>
> http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/ca/

I'd disagree slightly; there are many private campgrounds, but most
cater more to RVs than to tent campers. In any event, I almost always
greatly prefer our publicly-owned campgrounds to the private ones. Many
of the private campgrounds seem like little more than parking lots full
of RVs and maybe a few small spaces in which it's possible to pitch a
tent. In contrast, public campgrounds are generally in beautiful
natural surroundings with much more spacious sites. Most have showers
although many are coin-operated (have some quarters handy). I've never
had a problem with leaving camping gear during the day in our park
campgrounds. In addition to the regular park staff many have "Camp
Hosts" - usually retired people who stay at the campground free in
exchange for keeping an eye on things and helping other campers.

The main problem with the park campgrounds is that the more popular ones
are frequently full. Some of the state parks have special "Hike and
Bike" spaces set aside for people who arrive by foot or bicycle which
don't require any reservation. Stays are usually limited to a couple
days.

Per Löwdin
July 6th 04, 04:28 PM
> I'd disagree slightly; there are many private campgrounds, but most
> cater more to RVs than to tent campers. In any event, I almost always
> greatly prefer our publicly-owned campgrounds to the private ones.

Well, last year in Colorado we found that the USF camp grounds there tended
to be in extremely beautiful spots, but rarely had showers (hot or warm),
and most problematic kind of presumed that you had a car.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Boris Foelsch
July 6th 04, 04:56 PM
"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message news:%ktGc.4347

> Yes, we have a vague idea that it would be nice to do a kind of loop that
> includes part of the coast towards LA, the Sierras, and then Redwood
Empire.
> We are not purists in any sense, that have to bike all the way, a day or
two
> in the Central Valley will be fun, after all we are tourists so it is news
> to us, but more than that may be a terrible bore, so if we can hop on a
> train or a bus without to much hassle, and get to an area with better
> cycling we will gladly do that.

This all sounds extremely ambitious! You're going south, north and to the
Sierra? Wow. As already mentioned, you may be spanning quite a temperature
range, but you won't see much rain, except coastal fog drip, which can be
heavy. You will be thirsty most of the time.

Maybe you can cross the central valley further north (toward Mt Shasta),
where it's narrower and the traffic is a lot less. You could work your way
up the coast mountain ranges and redwoods and then head east toward the
northern Sierra.

One important point is that singletrack is either hiking trail in wilderness
where you're usually not allowed to bicycle or is in more heavily used areas
where bicycles are more common. You'll find lots of jeep trails and fire
roads in the national forests of the Sierra, but single track may be hit and
miss, except around Lake Tahoe or other more developed areas.

I don't know about Amtrak and bikes, but I wouldn't expect European style
service. Check this.
http://www.amtrak.com/plan/baggage-checked.html

Peter
July 6th 04, 05:31 PM
Per Löwdin wrote:
>>I'd disagree slightly; there are many private campgrounds, but most
>>cater more to RVs than to tent campers. In any event, I almost always
>>greatly prefer our publicly-owned campgrounds to the private ones.
>

> Well, last year in Colorado we found that the USF camp grounds there tended
> to be in extremely beautiful spots, but rarely had showers (hot or warm),
> and most problematic kind of presumed that you had a car.

Yes, US Forest Service campgrounds tend to be more primitive although
there are quite a few exceptions. State and National Park campgrounds
usually have showers and other amenities - as do many of the campgrounds
run by local municipalities and counties. I'd suggest you plan an
approximate itinerary and then do a web search for appropriate camping
facilities.

Steve Juniper
July 6th 04, 06:01 PM
One thing you should be aware of is that most parks in the US are public and
primitive by European standards. I found the private parks in France
especially civilized and a good value with very clean, functional
toilet/shower facilities and even decent restaurants or snack bars with
resaonble prices. Except for large, popular, campgrounds, here there will be
no showers and toilets will be pit-privies and no food nearby. KOA is a big
private campground chain more like a big, busy, parking lot but with
facilities. RV generators can be annoying in US camgrounds as well.

One advantage to bicycle travel is that in forests away from cities you can
easily disappear into the woods and camp anywhere, water permitting.

Too bad that it is generally difficult or impossible to find up-to-date
comprehensive maps for all but the most heavily cycled areas (much
opportunity for Michelin here!).

> The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley Hills, east of
SF,
> have many biking trails and maps are available, but I think they are more
> suitable for day rides. Similar parks North and South Bay.

Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good safe camping place,
preferably privately owned, i.e.., with showers and someone looking after
the place while we are riding.

--

Steve Juniper
"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly
on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained
us."
-- Kurt Vonnegut --

"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message
> [...]

ride without we like to ride trails.

> I have some of my
> own favorite routes which I could suggest, but they are mostly small,
paved
> roads.

Please do, don´t care to ride unpaved roads with luggage, some Americans
ride off-road with BOBs and they are adverticed as useable off-road, be that
as it may, but we will have too much weight for it to be fun, it would just
be extremely strenuous, prefer to have no luggage off-road. So, suggestions
of small paved safe roads are very welcome. Sometimes we wonder if we are
crazy taking a cycling holiday in the promised land of the automobile?

> Much beauty south down the peninsula, but if you are planning a
> longer ride heavy traffic will be difficult to avoid.

If there are bike shoulders and the ride takes us somewhere nice we can live

July 6th 04, 06:16 PM
PS: I forgot to add that (as you may have noticed in Colorado) most USFS and
state park campgrounds here are in some of the loveliest settings and well
away from communities and services.
--
Steve

Steve Juniper
Berkeley, California
"Every day above ground is a good day!"
--

"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message
> [...]

ride without we like to ride trails.

> I have some of my
> own favorite routes which I could suggest, but they are mostly small,
paved
> roads.

Please do, don´t care to ride unpaved roads with luggage, some Americans
ride off-road with BOBs and they are adverticed as useable off-road, be that
as it may, but we will have too much weight for it to be fun, it would just
be extremely strenuous, prefer to have no luggage off-road. So, suggestions
of small paved safe roads are very welcome. Sometimes we wonder if we are
crazy taking a cycling holiday in the promised land of the automobile?

> Much beauty south down the peninsula, but if you are planning a
> longer ride heavy traffic will be difficult to avoid.

If there are bike shoulders and the ride takes us somewhere nice we can live

Booker C. Bense
July 6th 04, 07:28 PM

Steve Juniper
July 6th 04, 08:14 PM
Three to the top natural sights in California are: Yosemite, the redwoods
and the north coast. Here are two suggested routes that include all three:

1. Yosemite/Sierras. Get a ride east at least to Manteca not on a weekend
(I'd give you a ride that far if I'm around, which is likely). Ride east on
120 to Yosemite Valley (take old road left near gate through redwoods - no
cars allowed on it). Hopefully walk/bike sites are available. If not, you
could probably join someone else's site. Some exploring by bike. At least
take popular hike to Nevada Falls. Ride back to 120 and take it east through
Tioga Pass (9945'!) (preferably fairly early in day to avoid some tourist
traffic). Many fine camp spots, exquisite scenery. Go north on 395 over
Monitor Pass to 89 (cooler & more pleasant camping near summits - 8300',
8600'), heading west on either 88 or 89 (note Grover Springs Hot Springs
State Park near Markleeville - worth a stop). Continue west past Stockton
through delta on 4 to Byron to Marsh Creek Rd. Many options from this point,
including train (BART) from Concord (if interested I'd provide more detail
here).

2. Longer ride including redwoods, coast. Take bus (www.greyhound.com) from
Oakland north on I-5 to Weed (dep Oakland 6:15 AM arr Weed 3:10 PM US$39 7
day advance purchase + $22 for bike in box - they have box for $10).
Ride north from Weed to Gazelle, SE through mountain forests over
Gazelle Summit (4921') to small village of Callahan. North to town of Etna
(we used to live near here). SE over Etna summit (5958') through mountains
and forests through Forks of Salmon to State Route 96 at Somes Bar (very
very few cars so far). SW on 96 to Weitchpec. Right through Indian
reservation on 169 to Johnson Rd. Johnson Rd. to Bald Hills Rd. to 101 and
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park (gorgeous - explore area. Creek walks,
ride to Fern Canyon, etc.).
Heading south on 101 nice county Park at Big Lagoon (we used to live
nearby). Patrick's Point SP excellent. Trinidad nice town. Arcata very nice
small city (bypass some of 101 by taking road west to Samoa and across
bridge to Eureka (can give details). South to Ferndale (avoiding 101 as
possible). Ferndale through Petrolia to Honeydew, right to Kings Peak Rd. to
Chemise Mtn Rd to Usal Rd to SR 1(this paragraph very few cars again).
Continue south (downwind!) on SR 1 and on to San Francisco. This segment
has a number of nice and lesser-traveled alternatives, especially left onto
Stewarts Point Rd (or via Annapolis) to Tin Barn Rd. to Kings Ridge Rd
through Cazadero to Duncan Mills on 116, Right back to SR 1 and south.

Numerous single track and mtn bike riding available along both rides but too
complex to include here - make local inquiry.

Steve

Steve Juniper
"It's nicer now that our children have reached our age."

"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message
Hi
We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we can
find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and ride
without luggage between the road rides. Did a similar ride last year in
Colorado http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm

All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard to places with
good singletrack, and safe bike friendly roads and routes.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin
July 7th 04, 10:37 AM
Splendid, thanks a lot, printed it out, and searched out the routes on our
map, at the moment we plan to stay a couple of nights in San Francisco in
some hotel when we arrive to overcome the jetlag, bike a bit, and consider
our options. Would like to spend two thirds of more of our time on
singletrack (more precisely without luggage) and less than a third on road.

The first route would give us opportunities to ride in Mamouth and Tahoe.
Though I would not want to miss northern California.

> Continue south (downwind!) on SR 1 and on to San Francisco.

Is there generally a wind blowing south?

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin
July 7th 04, 10:38 AM
"Steve Juniper" > skrev i meddelandet
> One thing you should be aware of is that most parks in the US are public
and
> primitive by European standards.

Yes, we learned that last year.

> I found the private parks in France
> especially civilized and a good value with very clean, functional
> toilet/shower facilities and even decent restaurants or snack bars with
> resaonble prices. Except for large, popular, campgrounds, here there will
be
> no showers and toilets will be pit-privies and no food nearby. KOA is a
big
> private campground chain more like a big, busy, parking lot but with
> facilities. RV generators can be annoying in US camgrounds as well.

We will get along. After camping in no showers place for a while we will
check into a private campground or a motel once in a while to get get clean,
recharge batteries, etc.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

gianni
July 7th 04, 09:57 PM
Hi Per I wish I could be in that area 8 weeks! I have just been there
in April for two weeks ride down Highway 1 to San Luis Obispo and then
inland to the Sierra Nevada in Yosemite National Park. All great rides
that I cannot wait to do again.
You can read my tour report here
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/giannifilippini/cycling/california/california.html

For many travelogues on the Pacific coast you can go here as well

http://www.cyclingtheworld.org/tours/searchtours.php?continent=any&country=Usa&region=&Submit=search&submitted=TRUE

Enjoy it.
gianni

"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message >...
> Hi
> We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
> cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we can
> find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and ride
> without luggage between the road rides. Did a similar ride last year in
> Colorado http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm
>
> All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard to places with
> good singletrack, and safe bike friendly roads and routes.
>
> Per
> http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin
July 7th 04, 10:17 PM
Nice travelogue Gianni,
You went by Greyhound: do you think we could get on a greyhound bus with two
BOB trailers and two bikes?
Per
http://Lowdin.nu

"gianni" > skrev i meddelandet
om...
> Hi Per I wish I could be in that area 8 weeks! I have just been there
> in April for two weeks ride down Highway 1 to San Luis Obispo and then
> inland to the Sierra Nevada in Yosemite National Park. All great rides
> that I cannot wait to do again.
> You can read my tour report here

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/giannifilippini/cycling/california/california.html

> For many travelogues on the Pacific coast you can go here as well

http://www.cyclingtheworld.org/tours/searchtours.php?continent=any&country=Usa&region=&Submit=search&submitted=TRUE

> Enjoy it.
> gianni
>
> "Per Löwdin" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> > We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
> > cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we
can
> > find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and
ride
> > without luggage between the road rides. Did a similar ride last year in
> > Colorado http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm
> >
> > All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard to places
with
> > good singletrack, and safe bike friendly roads and routes.
> >
> > Per
> > http://lowdin.nu

gianni
July 8th 04, 08:52 AM
"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message >...
> Nice travelogue Gianni,
> You went by Greyhound: do you think we could get on a greyhound bus with two
> BOB trailers and two bikes?

Hi Per I took a Greyhound from San Luis Obispo to Fresno to cut the
Central Valley as I was told it is pretty boring but mainly because I
did not have enough time to cover my route only by bike. I must say
that down there the Central Valley is really not pretty and I guess
you have to be prepared to ride 2 or 3 days with hardly anything but
flat straight roads with some farms but hardly any towns or villages;
also it was hot in April so I am sure Summer must be hell there! I
think the suggestion to cross the Central Valley up North could be a
very good one as I also heard that Lake Tahoe area is beautiful and
you have the time!Greyhound in SLO was pretty relaxed with my bike but
I had to box it although not really with much care ( handlebar was
sticking out of box! Boxes you can get in any bike shop there, people
are really friendly and helpful everywhere ). It depends I guess on
how busy the bus is and how much luggage other people have. Another
option worth considering for you is Amtrak line. The San Joaquim line
running down parallel to the California Coast to LA has bike friendly
trains where you just walk on the carriage with your bike and hang it
on very cool hooks! Free of charge, no box needed and I am sure your
BOB trailer would happily come with you too! Just find out the main
stops to best plan your trip.
Hope this helps

Chuck Anderson
July 8th 04, 04:59 PM
gianni wrote:

>"Per Löwdin" > wrote in message >...
>

>>Nice travelogue Gianni,
>>You went by Greyhound: do you think we could get on a greyhound bus with two
>>BOB trailers and two bikes?
>>

>....... Another
>option worth considering for you is Amtrak line. The San Joaquim line
>running down parallel to the California Coast to LA has bike friendly
>trains where you just walk on the carriage with your bike and hang it
>on very cool hooks! Free of charge, no box needed and I am sure your
>BOB trailer would happily come with you too!

Don't assume anything about Amtrak. They are NOTHING like bike-friendly
European trains. Conductors on Amtrak trains often behave like wardens.
Amtrak is inflexible and shoddily run. They could care less what your
needs or wishes are.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Chuck Anderson
July 8th 04, 05:05 PM
Per Löwdin wrote:

>> Continue south (downwind!) on SR 1 and on to San Francisco.
>>

>Is there generally a wind blowing south?

In summer, ... yes. High pressure cells just off the coast are the norm
then, spinning clockwise, blowing right down the coast, and bringing
stable (clear) air. When the weather does turn rainy, it is because of a
low pressure cell off the coast doing the opposite, but that is less
common in the summer. You can count on having a northerly wind (blowing
to the south) on most days in the summer - starting at about 10 in the
morning.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Per Löwdin
July 8th 04, 11:29 PM
> >Is there generally a wind blowing south?
> >
>You can count on having a northerly wind (blowing
> to the south) on most days in the summer - starting at about 10 in the
> morning.

So, we will try to go down the coast with a tailwind, by the way I found and
enjoyed your http://www.cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_San_Francisco/

How is your collarbone?

Per
htt://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin
July 8th 04, 11:34 PM
> think the suggestion to cross the Central Valley up North could be a
> very good one as I also heard that Lake Tahoe area is beautiful and
> you have the time!Greyhound in SLO was pretty relaxed with my bike but
> I had to box it although not really with much care ( handlebar was
> sticking out of box! Boxes you can get in any bike shop there, people
> are really friendly and helpful everywhere ).

Yes, we have done that in variour countries. My only fascistoid tendency is
about wheels, I simply hate wheels that are not perfectly true, so we will
box them well to protect them. Am more worried about the BOBs, they are kind
of unwieldly.

> It depends I guess on
> how busy the bus is and how much luggage other people have. Another
> option worth considering for you is Amtrak line. The San Joaquim line
> running down parallel to the California Coast to LA has bike friendly
> trains where you just walk on the carriage with your bike and hang it
> on very cool hooks!

Yes, I have gone by train north of San Diego, and it was a slow friendly
train. Just pray the long distance trains are that way too.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Peter
July 8th 04, 11:50 PM
Per Löwdin wrote:

>>think the suggestion to cross the Central Valley up North could be a
>>very good one as I also heard that Lake Tahoe area is beautiful and
>>you have the time!Greyhound in SLO was pretty relaxed with my bike but
>>I had to box it although not really with much care ( handlebar was
>>sticking out of box! Boxes you can get in any bike shop there, people
>>are really friendly and helpful everywhere ).
>

> Yes, we have done that in variour countries. My only fascistoid tendency is
> about wheels, I simply hate wheels that are not perfectly true, so we will
> box them well to protect them. Am more worried about the BOBs, they are kind
> of unwieldly.
>

>>It depends I guess on
>>how busy the bus is and how much luggage other people have. Another
>>option worth considering for you is Amtrak line. The San Joaquim line
>>running down parallel to the California Coast to LA has bike friendly
>>trains where you just walk on the carriage with your bike and hang it
>>on very cool hooks!
>

> Yes, I have gone by train north of San Diego, and it was a slow friendly
> train. Just pray the long distance trains are that way too.

Probably better to check with Amtrak on the specific trains and
locations you plan to use than to rely on prayer. Going north from San
Luis Obisbo they required that the bikes be in boxes and many of the
intermediate stations didn't allow for baggage handling of bicycles at
all. OTOH, we used the train from Oakland to Sacramento and there the
policy was much more lenient. The policy is very much dependent on the
specific route and station.

Chuck Anderson
July 10th 04, 10:39 PM
Per Löwdin wrote:

>>>Is there generally a wind blowing south?
>>>

>>You can count on having a northerly wind (blowing
>>to the south) on most days in the summer - starting at about 10 in the
>>morning.
>>

>So, we will try to go down the coast with a tailwind, by the way I found and
>enjoyed your http://www.cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_San_Francisco/
>
>How is your collarbone?

Thanks for asking.

It seems to be well on it's way to mending. I have a lot of mobility
back, but still a lot of soreness. It changes during the course of the
day. The bump where the break is still feels like the end of a bone
(makes me shudder to feel it), but the doc says that's just the way that
it mends.

The best news is that after not riding for over 6 weeks, I have begun
riding again. Before the break I had been doing a daily 2200 foot climb
(the bulk of the climb in 4.5 miles), and I find I can still do it,
although a little slower and with a bit more effort. My shoulder feels
great after I ride, but 2 hours later some soreness comes. The doctor
said to keep riding and to do exercises to increase mobility (e.g.,
stretch my arm out to the wall and make my fingers walk as high up as I
can go).

I would have been touring in Germany now, and although it may have been
somewhat tolerable, I believe I made the right choice. That's too much
time and money to spend to not be able to really enjoy it. I still have
a hard time sleeping comfortably.

But - - - - - I'm so glad to be back on the bike and able to go to my
"church" again. I've done that ride almost every day this week and I can
feel my old self coming back. Not sure when I can tour again, probably
not this year (unless I do a southerly route later in the year).

I hope you have a great time on the west coast. I look forward to seeing
your pictures.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Michael MacClancy
August 22nd 04, 01:48 PM
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:39:13 GMT, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> But - - - - - I'm so glad to be back on the bike and able to go to my
> "church" again. I've done that ride almost every day this week and I can
> feel my old self coming back. Not sure when I can tour again, probably
> not this year (unless I do a southerly route later in the year).

Chuck,

What's the latest on your collarbone?

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't

Chuck Anderson
August 25th 04, 09:58 PM
Michael MacClancy wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:39:13 GMT, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>

>>But - - - - - I'm so glad to be back on the bike and able to go to my
>>"church" again. I've done that ride almost every day this week and I can
>>feel my old self coming back. Not sure when I can tour again, probably
>>not this year (unless I do a southerly route later in the year).
>>

>Chuck,
>
>What's the latest on your collarbone?

Thanks for asking. I've been thinking I should post a summary of sorts,
as I received a lot of advice and good wishes here.

Two big conclusions:

1. I guess I got paranoid about the healing process. I was very worried
about what was going on in there - for a good 6 weeks. As the bones were
not set (aligned), they healed in a bothersome way. I can still feel the
end of the broken bone (no pain). To understand how it sets, extend your
index fingers and point left and right at each other - nail up. Now
overlap them (right over left) about one inch. That's what my left
collarbone now looks and feels like - about two inches from the shoulder.

The emergency room doctor was very upbeat and optimistic. He was a young
guy who said he had broken his twice - in bicycle crashes. He explained
that the collar bone (clavicle) is the most mendable bone in the body
and that no surgery is needed. He gave me a sling and said I'd be good
to go in 4 weeks.

The follow up doctor (a week later) was an ass. Once he realized I
didn't have insurance ($$), he didn't want to give me the time of day.
He indicated that some clavicle breaks won't heal without surgery. I
asked him if that meant a break like mine and he silently nodded yes. He
handed me a figure eight brace, said come back in a month, and walked
out the door. That was it.

For the next two weeks I fretted about the lack of any apparent healing
(and the end of that bone sticking out). Not having medical insurance,
the prospect of surgery was overwhelming. I figured I'd be out near
$10,000 if that were necessary. So, ..... three weeks later .... I
decided to get pro-active and I sought out another doctor - an older,
experienced GP. Am I glad I did. He instilled optimism. After poking
around, he said it seemed like I already had "sticky" bones. He agreed
with the first doctors treatment, but said that his bedside manner left
much to be desired. He assured me that all was going well. (And now I've
finally found a GP that I trust. My previous trustworthy doctor retired
10 years ago.)

Whatever. I made it into a mentally torturous ordeal for a good month -
not to mention the depression from having to scrap my much needed
Germany - Austrian Alps tour. Finally, about mid June - 6 weeks after
the crash - as I started getting mobility back, I finally believed that
I was healing just fine.

That "bump" is rather disconcerting, but as I've learned, it's also
quite normal.

2. Why did I slam a pedal into the ground so hard and crash so violently
out of control? That really bothered me. It's very unlike me. I've been
in many close calls and reacted fine. I've ridden for decades and never
caused myself to crash. I'm sure now that I was simply very
undernourished. Past bonked. I'll be sure not to ever do that again. I
was hammering away at about 20 mph - in the last few miles of a 35 mile
ride I've done for years - about to finish the ride in one one of my
fastest times. Going through a 90º turn on concrete bike path - I kept
pedaling (hammering away, I was) when ....... BAMMMM!!!! I simply f***ed
up. My brain and body were depleted and I crashed to the ground like a
rag doll.

I'll not do that again.

So, .... I've got a LOT of mobility back now. The hardest thing to do is
extend my arm out to the side, palm down and then raise my arm straight
up in the air. Essentially, I can't do that yet. A good form of therapy
is to hold my arm out to a wall and walk up the wall with my fingers -
forcing myself to reach higher and higher. I also noticed, while playing
with my 6 year old grand daughter at the playground, that hanging from
monkey bars is still out of the question. Other than that, I am really
quite fine now. After 3 - 4 weeks of riding again, I am back to the same
level of conditioning that I was right before the crash. I was taking my
cycling more seriously this year, trying to do a 2300 foot climb at
least 4 times a week, if not every day - sometimes turning around at
1600 feet (it's a 14 mile ride all together and includes a quarter mile
section of 18%-19% grade in the last mile of climbing). I'm back to my
best time for that ride now, and able to do it daily .... if I have the
time.

One odd thing I've noticed is that I can not make myself ride no handed
sitting comfortably straight up. My body insists on leaning to the left
and I have to bend to the right at my hips (grabbing the saddle) to
compensate. I've got to work at that one (I love riding no handed).
Strange how the mind/body can work outside of your control.

Thanks for the advice and support.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

James Cassatt
August 26th 04, 03:59 PM
FWIW the bump will never go away. I have two, one on each side. Each
healed differently. The first went smoothly, healed in six weeks.
The other took about four months. The bump is due to the extra bone
being piled up.

Good biking

Jim

Google