PDA

View Full Version : planning a cross country bike route

Belda
July 12th 04, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm planning a bike trip for two people starting in San Diego
and ending in New Brunswick, NJ. I've broken the trip down to about 20
legs and I'm asking people for their routes from one point to the
next. However, some places that we're going to seem out of the way, so
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to pick certain highways
on a map to choose as part of the trip.

What I'm concerned about is what roads are limited access and
prohibit bicycling. I know as a general rule bicyclists should stay
off the interstate, but which highways are preferrable? Thank you for
your help in advance.

Belda
July 12th 04, 09:25 PM
Oops, sorry. Here is a list of where we are going.

1. San Diego CA
2. Phoenix, AZ
3. Albuquerque, NM
4. Santa Fe, NM
5. Amarillo, TX
6. Oklahoma City, OK
7. Tulsa, OK
8. Bentonville, AR
8a. Memphis, TN
9. Atlanta, GA
10. Raleigh, NC
11. Charlottesville, VA
12. Alexandria, VA
13. Washington, DC
14. Washington, DC
15. Baltimore, MD
16. Philadelphia, PA
17. Marlton, NJ
18. New Brunswick, NJ

Steve
July 12th 04, 10:51 PM
Check the adventure cycling association web site. They have maps of cross
country routes that any member of this group would be proud to ride.

http://www.adventurecycling.org

Enjoy your trip.

Steve

"Belda" > wrote in message
om...
> Oops, sorry. Here is a list of where we are going.

July 13th 04, 01:24 AM
Steve,
As a Okie on this list and a proud member of Adventure Cycling,
please note that they (we?) have not routes mapped through Oklahoma.
Oklahoma is a great place to ride and hope we get a place on the map
soon.
Belda might try to get in touch with the Freewheel Oklahoma people as
they have rides yearly across Oklahoma.

Thaks for speaking up about Adventure Cycling. go there be part of it!

In article >,
"Steve" > wrote:

> Check the adventure cycling association web site. They have maps of cross
> country routes that any member of this group would be proud to ride.
>
> http://www.adventurecycling.org
>
> Enjoy your trip.
>
> Steve
>
> "Belda" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Oops, sorry. Here is a list of where we are going.

Mike Vermeulen
July 13th 04, 04:05 AM
> What I'm concerned about is what roads are limited access and
>prohibit bicycling. I know as a general rule bicyclists should stay
>off the interstate, but which highways are preferrable? Thank you for
>your help in advance.

Here is what I do:

1) Map out a rough route with places I'd like to travel. Put this as
input into an (automobile) mapping program such as "TopoUSA" or
"Streets & Trips". Use this as my rough guide, staying mostly on
numbered US routes.
2) As I cycle along, adjust the route using advice from locals or
things I learn. Sometimes I'll follow roads along rivers/railroads.
Sometimes I'll take smaller roads that parallel major interstates. It
varies.

With that said, a few specific comments about your the city points you
have included:

1) The first two cities on your route: San Diego to Phoenix, are both
on a cross country route put out by "Adventure-Cycling". You might be
interested in picking up their "Southern Tier" map for at least that
portion and/or looking at rest of their Southern tier. On that route
are some short stretches on I-8 and I-10 in areas where there aren't
alternate routes. Also, my guess is you might be on shoulder of
interstate in parts of New Mexico...

2) What time of year are you doing your ride? Looks like an ideal
route for a March/April departure... If you are thinking of
mid-summer, then I'd be wary of heat... In the fall, I'd be leaving
late enough to avoid extreme desert heat, but also getting to NJ
before it got too cold.

3) I've ridden parts of areas you suggest. Some specific comments:
San Diego -> Phoenix, consider Adventure Cycling route
See http://www.mvermeulen.com/oneyear/usa.htm for
my trip logs across the southern tier of USA in 2001
Bentonville -> Memphis, crossing the Mississippi can be tricky.
There are *not* good bicycle crossings in Memphis. Next
bridge south is in Helena, MS See:
http://www.mvermeulen.com/memphis/index.html for
my trip logs between Wichita and Memphis.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

John
July 15th 04, 09:55 AM
(Belda) wrote in message >...
> Hi everyone,
> I'm planning a bike trip for two people starting in San Diego
> and ending in New Brunswick, NJ. I've broken the trip down to about 20
> legs and I'm asking people for their routes from one point to the
> next. However, some places that we're going to seem out of the way, so
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to pick certain highways
> on a map to choose as part of the trip.
>
> What I'm concerned about is what roads are limited access and
> prohibit bicycling. I know as a general rule bicyclists should stay
> off the interstate, but which highways are preferrable? Thank you for
> your help in advance.

Adventure Cycling puts out "The Cyclists' Yellow Pages" which has
information for each state. Some states have bicycle maps on their
state transportation website though finding them can be difficult.
Many states also have maps showing shoulder conditions and traffic
counts that can greatly help in planning your route.

I'd recommend the "Roads Of..." series of state maps put out by
Shearer Publishing (www.shearerpub.com). I've found these to be more
detailed and accurate than the Delorme Atlas and Gazetter maps.

You should be able to pick up 412 east of Tulsa to the Arkansas line.
This route parallels a turnpike that carries most traffic. Once
getting to Siloam Springs, AR, you can work your way north on busy AR
59 to Gentry and then AR 12 to Bentonville. AR 59 has a narrow but
usable shoulder. AR 12 is twisty, has no shoulder, and heavy traffic.
All western approaches to Bentonville are going to be very narrow and
busy. Heading east from Bentonville is also difficult due to the
presence of Beaver Lake. If you are dead-set on Northwest Arkansas, I
think you're better off taking 412 (or old 412 which is now a county
road) to Springdale and forgetting Bentonville.

If it were me I'd change the route to OKC -> Fort Smith, AR ->
Memphis. Fort Smith to Memphis has a route planned out here:

http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/biking/east-west.asp

Or you could do OKC -> Tulsa -> Northwest Arkansas -> Fort Smith ->
Memphis. From Bentonville (or Springdale/Rogers/Fayetteville) you'd
take US 71 to Fort Smith. I540 carries almost all the traffic south
of Fayetteville and US 71 is only local stuff. You'd also cross the
highest part of the Ozarks on this route.

If you were to tell me exactly where you wanted to go in Northwest
Arkansas I can help, but you'll need to email me as I don't read this
newsgroup often.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home