PDA

View Full Version : Crossing from Detroit to Windsor, ONT

Meatsa
July 18th 04, 11:50 PM
I'm planning on riding around Lake Erie next month. I've heard that it
is verboten to cross the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit into Windsor,
Ontario. Anyone here know the drill on how to get across?

TIA,

Mike

Karen M.
July 19th 04, 04:04 AM
Meatsa wrote:
> I'm planning on riding around Lake Erie next month. I've heard that it
> is verboten to cross the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit into Windsor,
> Ontario. Anyone here know the drill on how to get across?

Already answered on CrankMail, but posted here for future reference.

Bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalk (nor pedestrians). Non-motorized
access has been restricted for many years, not just since 2001.

If I were you I'd go to the approach and stand in front of the sign that
reads NO BICYCLES. Someone in a large vehicle will give you a lift. I have
done this at the Mackinac bridge, Chesapeake Bay bridge, and other places.
Never any problem of any kind (even as a solo female).
As for customs, bring a passport and/or driver's license and birth
certificate.
If you aren't interested in the view, the tunnel is faster (no lines of
trucks).
HTH
--Karen M.

Jay
July 19th 04, 03:00 PM
>> Meatsa wrote:
>> I'm planning on riding around Lake Erie next month. I've heard that it
>> is verboten to cross the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit into Windsor,
>> Ontario. Anyone here know the drill on how to get across?

>Karen M. at wrote:
> Already answered on CrankMail, but posted here for future reference.
>
> Bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalk (nor pedestrians). Non-motorized
> access has been restricted for many years, not just since 2001.
>
> If I were you I'd go to the approach and stand in front of the sign that
> reads NO BICYCLES. Someone in a large vehicle will give you a lift. I have
> done this at the Mackinac bridge, Chesapeake Bay bridge, and other places.
> Never any problem of any kind (even as a solo female).
> As for customs, bring a passport and/or driver's license and birth
> certificate.
> If you aren't interested in the view, the tunnel is faster (no lines of
> trucks).
> HTH

When I phoned the crossing points at Sarnia Ont to Port Huron Michigan- they
said no bikes on bridge, but the bridge authority has a pick up truck and
for no fee or appointment will load the bike or trike on and drive you and
cycle across the bridge.

cashrefundman
July 20th 04, 05:40 AM
Meatsa wrote:
> I'm planning on riding around Lake Erie next month. I've heard that it
> is verboten to cross the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit into Windsor,
> Ontario. Anyone here know the drill on how to get across?
>
> TIA,
>
> Mike
I got stuck at the bridge a few years ago and I had a friend from
Windsor come and get me.

Recently I heard that you can catch Windsor tunnel bus in front of Cobo
arena and that they have bike racks.
I haven't done this yet myself so I can't verify.

Good Luck,

CRM

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home