PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a route from Cambridge to Scituate

Steve Jasper
July 19th 04, 09:14 PM
Hey all....

I live in San Francisco now, and usually do rides around 25 miles a
couple times a month (mountain bike, not road bike), with quick 10-12
milers a few times a week after work.

I've been thinking I want to try to ride from my parents house in
cambridge to my brothers house in scituate when I visit later this
summer. I think its somewhere around 35 miles total, which I think I
can pull off if I take my time. (I grew up in scituate, but haven't
been in the south shore for years).

Anyhow, I'm interested in any opinions. I'm considering making my way
to 3A and taking it the whole way, but I'm not sure.

Since its a challenging distance for me to say the least, flatter
routes are always better. I live and ride in San Francisco almost
daily, so I'm no stranger to hills, but my shaky memory seems to
recall some portions of 3A being pretty steep, especially coming out
of Hingham, or at least they seemed that way when I was 15 (more than
twice that now!).

I welcome any opinions..Thanks!

OughtFour
July 21st 04, 08:21 PM
Steve Jasper wrote:
> I've been thinking I want to try to ride from my parents house in
> cambridge to my brothers house in scituate when I visit later this
> summer.

> I welcome any opinions..Thanks!

In that case, and since no one else has come forth, I'll tell you what I
think. I live in the area, but have never ridden between Boston and the
Scituate.

This does not strike me as a very pleasant route in general. Were I to do it
I would probably go south from Jamaica Plain to Milton and through the Blue
Hills on Route 28, then somehow get over to the shore, skirting Quincy. But
then, I'd choose a hill over miles of sprawl and development, especially in
August.

In any case, one way to start your ride would be to cross the Charles at the
BU Bridge, then continue south along the Fenway to Jamaica Pond.

Portions of the following route may be of interest to you
http://www.massbike.org/bikeways/ccbw/

although this route goes even further west than if you were to take Rt 28
from Milton.

There is very nice cycling just west of Cambridge.

Good luck with your ride and your route!

Steve Jasper
July 22nd 04, 07:26 PM
Interesting, that's great info, thanks for the link. I think I may add
miles for beauty too...

Fingers crossed, we'll see what happens!!

Thanks again.

"OughtFour" > wrote in message >...
> Steve Jasper wrote:
> > I've been thinking I want to try to ride from my parents house in
> > cambridge to my brothers house in scituate when I visit later this
> > summer.
>
> > I welcome any opinions..Thanks!
>
> In that case, and since no one else has come forth, I'll tell you what I
> think. I live in the area, but have never ridden between Boston and the
> Scituate.
>
> This does not strike me as a very pleasant route in general. Were I to do it
> I would probably go south from Jamaica Plain to Milton and through the Blue
> Hills on Route 28, then somehow get over to the shore, skirting Quincy. But
> then, I'd choose a hill over miles of sprawl and development, especially in
> August.
>
> In any case, one way to start your ride would be to cross the Charles at the
> BU Bridge, then continue south along the Fenway to Jamaica Pond.
>
> Portions of the following route may be of interest to you
> http://www.massbike.org/bikeways/ccbw/
>
> although this route goes even further west than if you were to take Rt 28
> from Milton.
>
> There is very nice cycling just west of Cambridge.
>
> Good luck with your ride and your route!

William H. O'Hara, III
July 26th 04, 01:20 AM
(Steve Jasper) wrote in
om:

> Interesting, that's great info, thanks for the link. I
> think I may add miles for beauty too...

I would not take Rt. 28. Too much traffic and the
road is under perpetual construction. The thing
comes to a standstill on many afternoons. You
would be amazed at the cars.

I highly recommend taking the Saltsonstall route(which
is signed) to Rt 138. Upon crossing the highway(128)
you would make a left turn at the lights. You would
take the right by the school and follow this street
south. You would go through the lights and cross
Rt 139. This might actually be now considered the
Saltsonstall route until you reach Rt 28 in Avon.
You would cross Rt 28 and proceed until you reach
South St in Holbrook. Turn right and head south.
Go through the light. The next stop is North Quincy
St. Take a left. Take the next right on Chestnut
ST. Go through this to the stop at Hancock St.
Cross the street and proceed to the stop at Randolph
Ave(Rt 139). Proceed east on Rt 139. I'm figuring
this would be approx 30 miles at this point.

You could take Rt 139 until Rockland. Book a left
after the town forest(unsure of the street name).
Follow this street to the stop sign. Take a left
and head north on Union Street. Take a right onto
Memorial Drive(?). Follow the road until there is
a right turn. Take the right turn on a short strech
of road. Take your immediate left.

You will go past a Home Depot. After the Home Depot
There are CRW markings put down by Andy Brand for his
Sunday Morning Workout.

Follow those markings to Wompatuck. Ride through
Wompatuck. I think that brings you into Scituate
Harbor if you continue to follow the markings.

I think that this will give you the most scenic way
for certain portions along with less cars than the
alternatives. Be aware that there are still a lot
of cars and these spots are in borderlands. This
means minimum police patrols and excessive speeds
in some spots.

I've spent time trying to figure out a boston route
for my commute. This is prob the best that I can
suggest for you.

Bill

--
William H. O'Hara KB1LEH