PDA

View Full Version : Ventura, CA: Bike Hire

Kirby James
July 24th 04, 07:41 PM
I'm based in the UK and plan to spend two weeks in September/October with my
daughter who has just moved to Ventura.

In the UK I ride with the local Cycle Tourists Club - typically doing rides
of 40-60 miles in a moderately hilly part of the country (Devon).

I'd like to do some rides around Ventura - but I'd rather not ship my bike
over. I wonder whether anyone could suggest any cycle outlets in or around
Ventura that hire out bikes of reasonable quality. I normally ride a
lightweight Audax or Touring style bike (probably similar to a Trek 520) or
a lightweight hardtail (a vintage Trek 930).

Thanks, Kirby

Leland Mayne
July 26th 04, 07:13 PM
Kirby James wrote:

> I'm based in the UK and plan to spend two weeks in September/October with my
> daughter who has just moved to Ventura.
>
> In the UK I ride with the local Cycle Tourists Club - typically doing rides
> of 40-60 miles in a moderately hilly part of the country (Devon).
>
> I'd like to do some rides around Ventura - but I'd rather not ship my bike
> over. I wonder whether anyone could suggest any cycle outlets in or around
> Ventura that hire out bikes of reasonable quality. I normally ride a
> lightweight Audax or Touring style bike (probably similar to a Trek 520) or
> a lightweight hardtail (a vintage Trek 930).
>
> Thanks, Kirby

I was at a meeting in Ventura a couple of years ago & rented a bike from
a place not far from the center of town. They were north of downtown
near the Patagonia shop. They had mountain bikes & hybrids & obviously
assumed people would be riding up & down the beach. I had some trouble
getting them to loan me a pump. I only had windows of 2-3 hours to ride
but found a nice road that lead up into the hills.

Leland Mayne

Philadelphia, PA USA

David Horwitt
July 27th 04, 05:54 PM
Kirby James wrote:
> I'm based in the UK and plan to spend two weeks in September/October with my
> daughter who has just moved to Ventura.
>
> In the UK I ride with the local Cycle Tourists Club - typically doing rides
> of 40-60 miles in a moderately hilly part of the country (Devon).
>
> I'd like to do some rides around Ventura - but I'd rather not ship my bike
> over. I wonder whether anyone could suggest any cycle outlets in or around
> Ventura that hire out bikes of reasonable quality. I normally ride a
> lightweight Audax or Touring style bike (probably similar to a Trek 520) or
> a lightweight hardtail (a vintage Trek 930).
>
> Thanks, Kirby

I suggest you check out the Channel Islands Bicycle club web page
(http://www.cibike.org) (and possibly contact the President whose email is
listed). Being based in Ventura, they should have
extensive knowledge of what is offered. I am not associated with the
club, but used their online cue sheets for some guidance on a tour I
recently took through the area; the sheets were helpful, and the club
appears to have some very nice rides through beautiful territory.

While in Ventura, be sure to visit Bernadette's on Main, a small,friendly
cafe.

David

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home