PDA

View Full Version : Echo Lake?

Steve Juniper
July 31st 04, 01:57 AM
I'm going to be spending a week at a cabin at Echo Lake (summit of US 50
west of Lake Tahoe in California) and wonder whether my road or mtn bike
would be preferable. Although I've driven through many times I've never
considered riding in the area. Seems 50 would be ugly but trails probably
don't allow bikes. Any suggestions out there? Think about rides of about 2
hours. Fairly demanding OK.
--
Steve Juniper
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those

matabala
July 31st 04, 10:20 PM
"Steve Juniper" > wrote in message
> I'm going to be spending a week at a cabin at Echo Lake (summit of US 50
> west of Lake Tahoe in California) and wonder whether my road or mtn bike
> would be preferable. Although I've driven through many times I've never
> considered riding in the area. Seems 50 would be ugly but trails probably
> don't allow bikes. Any suggestions out there? Think about rides of about 2
> hours. Fairly demanding OK.
> --
> Steve Juniper
> "The world is a dangerous place, not because of
those
> who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing"
> -- Albert
> Einstein --

It's a while since I've been in those parts but from memory I don't think
you'd want to try any road riding around Hwy 50 near the summit or not.
There are undoubtedly more 4 lane stretches now than 10-15 years ago but
can't see it being worth the risk. For road riding I believe the locals use
the Markleeville road just at the bottom of the descent in to the Tahoe
Basin. That's the one that goes out towards Kirkland ski area. You'll have
some different options once you get a ways out but already the traffic will
be much lighter (unless they've built some massive sub-divisions out there
too - wouldn't surprise me!).

For MTB I would bet there are some great trails especially on the south side
of the highway. Not too far back from Echo Lake there's a ski resort which
may
still be in operation. They might have trails specially for off-road.

Not very specific I know but gives me a chance to indulge in some pleasant
reminiscing of Sierra's past.

Booker C. Bense
August 2nd 04, 06:51 PM

Boris Foelsch
August 3rd 04, 04:29 AM
"Steve Juniper" > wrote in message
> I'm going to be spending a week at a cabin at Echo Lake (summit of US 50
> west of Lake Tahoe in California) and wonder whether my road or mtn bike
> would be preferable. Although I've driven through many times I've never
> considered riding in the area. Seems 50 would be ugly but trails probably
> don't allow bikes. Any suggestions out there? Think about rides of about 2
> hours. Fairly demanding OK.

I'd say bring a MTB and ride the Angora Ridge Road. I've only x-country
skied that particular road, but a book I have (Mountain Biking in the High
Sierra) says it's a good ride. From having sked it, I can recommend the
views. It's hard to get lost and very close to Echo Lake.

"Go north on SR89 along the SW side of Lake Tahoe one mile past Camp
Richardsonto the road to Fallen Leaf Lake. Turn left and go past Fallen Leaf
Campground. About 1.5 miles, turn left on a paved riad that goes uphill. On
top of the ridge, turn right on the dirt road."

At the Angora Lakes lookout (fire observation station about 1.5 miles from
trailhead) you can continue on to Angora Lakes, which has a small resort.
You can then (or any other time) double back.

Great views of Mt. Tallac, Fallen Leaf Lake and Angora Peak. This is an 8
mile roundtrip with 1200' elevation gain.

Boris

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home