PDA

View Full Version : Up the Academy

Clyde_in_TN
August 6th 03, 01:14 AM
Many of you have asked how things are going to save time I'll just hit
ya'll here.

In short, they are going great, so far.

I am in the Police Academy's second largest class ever, over 140 recruits.

PT SVCKS! They have a PT motto: "The more you bleed here the less you
bleed on the streets." and they mean it, but they are not sadistic about
it either. One thing I have learned is though it is one giant
mind-fvck, _everything_ they do is for a purpose, and you can't take it
personally. They will fvck with your head at every chance they get, The
curriculum is demanding and tests are hard. But they have to be, the
streets are nothing compared to this. Most recruits don't "get" that.
Having been there and done that, has helped me realize this is all for
the best.

Academically, I'm currently ranked 3rd in my class ( Not ad out of 140+,
IMO) Physically, my knees are giving me some sh!t about all the
running, but I'm dealing with it as best I can. Hot bats, alieve,
ice-packs, etc.

Every day we have 6 hours of classes and two solid hours of PT. They
break you down and build you back up again. There was a lot of smart
mouth especially from ex-Mil folks abot how they were gonna smoke the
PT, but after the first few outings, even the Marines admitted it was
tougher than their Basic Training. I just keep my mouth shut and do what
I'm told. Hopefully my knees will hold out till the end, if not, I know
I did my best. Quitting is NOT an option. if I leave it will be on a
stretcher, or wit my ead held high on graduation day. those are the ONLY
two options.

--
Recruit Gunterman
"I am my brothers keeper."

Penny S.
August 6th 03, 01:44 AM
Merlin scribbled :

> he he, sounds like you just may out-do them ex-mil folks ;-)
>
> BTW, not being in "the biz", i am fairly clueless, but why do you have
> to go all the way down to TN for the police academy? i know Maine has
> one, and it would have been quite a bit closer to you as well.

that's where he took the job. Think "long commute". Each police force has
it's own academy

Penny

Clyde_in_TN
August 6th 03, 03:06 AM
Merlin wrote:

> BTW, not being in "the biz", i am fairly clueless, but why do you have
> to go all the way down to TN for the police academy?

Most importantly, they have one of the top rated academies in the
country. Highly respected anywhere I might want to go down the road.

In NH, the towns have so little budget, if you want to be a cop you put
_yourself_ through the state academy and upon graduation start applying
for jobs, with no guarantee of actually getting one. Keep in mind soon
as you start ANY schooling you lose unemployment benefits.

Also, I know many folks already on the force.

>i know maine has one, and it would have been quite a bit closer to you as well.

I'd need a place to live while I attended... Here, I'm staying in my
best buds' spare bedroom for zero rent. Well, I am doing things like
re-roofing the house and garage and pouring some concrete slabs for a
patio, logging out some trees on the property, etc. since he refuses to
take any cash.

Andrew Thorne
August 6th 03, 12:10 PM

>Many of you have asked how things are going to save time I'll just hit
>ya'll here.

<snip>

****, John. You keep that up, you aren't gonna be a Clyde anymore.

Best of luck on it. And if you're hankering for a high speed singletrack fix,
drop down to Birmingham some weekend.

-Andrew

August 6th 03, 12:27 PM
What for the NH State Police or some town police.

Fire up MTB 03

Michael Dart
August 6th 03, 01:08 PM
"Clyde_in_TN" > wrote in message

> Many of you have asked how things are going to save time I'll just hit
> ya'll here.
>
> In short, they are going great, so far.
>
> I am in the Police Academy's second largest class ever, over 140 recruits.
>
> PT SVCKS! They have a PT motto: "The more you bleed here the less you
> bleed on the streets." and they mean it, but they are not sadistic about
> it either. One thing I have learned is though it is one giant
> mind-fvck, _everything_ they do is for a purpose, and you can't take it
> personally. They will fvck with your head at every chance they get, The
> curriculum is demanding and tests are hard. But they have to be, the
> streets are nothing compared to this. Most recruits don't "get" that.
> Having been there and done that, has helped me realize this is all for
> the best.
>
> Academically, I'm currently ranked 3rd in my class ( Not ad out of 140+,
> IMO) Physically, my knees are giving me some sh!t about all the
> running, but I'm dealing with it as best I can. Hot bats, alieve,
> ice-packs, etc.
>
> Every day we have 6 hours of classes and two solid hours of PT. They
> break you down and build you back up again. There was a lot of smart
> mouth especially from ex-Mil folks abot how they were gonna smoke the
> PT, but after the first few outings, even the Marines admitted it was
> tougher than their Basic Training. I just keep my mouth shut and do what
> I'm told. Hopefully my knees will hold out till the end, if not, I know
> I did my best. Quitting is NOT an option. if I leave it will be on a
> stretcher, or wit my ead held high on graduation day. those are the ONLY
> two options.
>
> --
> Recruit Gunterman
> "I am my brothers keeper."

WTG John! You're right, Basic Training is a mind game but with a purpose.
I found the best way to get through military basic was to remain 'invisible'
(IOW don't be difficult) and just follow directions. Best wishes for
getting through to graduation.

Mike

bomba
August 6th 03, 01:08 PM
Clyde_in_TN wrote:

> I am in the Police Academy's second largest class ever, over 140 recruits.

I bet it's just like in those wacky films...

> Physically, my knees are giving me some sh!t about all the
> running, but I'm dealing with it as best I can. Hot bats,

The Ozzy method of rehab, I assume.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Gary in VA
August 6th 03, 02:43 PM
"Clyde_in_TN" > wrote in message

> Many of you have asked how things are going to save time I'll just hit
> ya'll here.
>
> In short, they are going great, so far.
>
> I am in the Police Academy's second largest class ever, over 140 recruits.
>
> PT SVCKS! They have a PT motto: "The more you bleed here the less you
> bleed on the streets." and they mean it, but they are not sadistic about
> it either. One thing I have learned is though it is one giant
> mind-fvck, _everything_ they do is for a purpose, and you can't take it
> personally.

The best advice I got before I went to Marine boot camp came from my
brother. He said, "Just remember this one thing. It's all a game."

Hang in there.

Gary in VA

Paladin
August 6th 03, 09:52 PM
Clyde_in_TN > wrote in message >...
> Many of you have asked how things are going to save time I'll just hit
> ya'll here.
>
> In short, they are going great, so far.
>
> I am in the Police Academy's second largest class ever, over 140 recruits.
>
> PT SVCKS! They have a PT motto: "The more you bleed here the less you
> bleed on the streets."

Similar to our old motto. The more you sweat in training, the less
you bleed in battle. You've got the mind game part figured. Now just
hope your knees hang in there.

Thanks for taking the time for the update.

and they mean it, but they are not sadistic about
> it either. One thing I have learned is though it is one giant
> mind-fvck, _everything_ they do is for a purpose, and you can't take it
> personally. They will fvck with your head at every chance they get, The
> curriculum is demanding and tests are hard.

But they have to be, the
> streets are nothing compared to this.

No, they're usually a lot more boring. But it's that 10% panic that
gets ya.

(ie, 90% boredom, 10% panic)
Paladin

Clyde_in_TN
August 7th 03, 12:35 AM
bomba wrote:
> Clyde_in_TN wrote:
>
>> I am in the Police Academy's second largest class ever, over 140
>> recruits.
>

> I bet it's just like in those wacky films...

In some ways, indeed it is, We have our share of fook-ups in or class,
but they try hard and never quit, never ever quit, that is the key to
success. I think those who have to work double-hard either physically or
accadeicly, are the ones that will make the best officers.

>> Physically, my knees are giving me some sh!t about all the
>> running, but I'm dealing with it as best I can. Hot bats,

> The Ozzy method of rehab, I assume.

Crazy Train was runnin through my head today on our 3 mile run. I'm
trying to make a cadence out of it but it ust doesn't ave the right
beat.... (left, right, left, etc.)

Andrew Thorne
August 7th 03, 06:55 PM

>> Best of luck on it. And if you're hankering for a high speed singletrack
>fix,
>> drop down to Birmingham some weekend.
>
>Anything going on the 16th or 17th?

Well, ****, yes. I'll be visiting the inlaws in Washington Depot. Best bet is