PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Cassettes

George L. Porter, IV
August 6th 03, 01:33 AM
I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and how
the work/last. I have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out about
every year. I now use SRAM chains and am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0
cassette which is cheaper than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also, are
they compatible with shimano derailleurs?

Thanks

Chris
August 6th 03, 02:40 AM
"George L. Porter, IV @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
> I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and
how
> the work/last. I have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out
about
> every year. I now use SRAM chains and am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0
> cassette which is cheaper than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also, are
> they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
>
> Thanks

I have been really happy with SRAM cassettes...I got over 1200 mostly-dirty
miles out of a 7.0. I've found them to be at least as reliable as Shimano,
but part of me wants to say SRAM lasts a bit longer. I don't really have a
lot of empirical evidence behind that, it's just a gut feeling. I should
mention at this point I hate Shimano :)

There are no compatibility issues between the cassettes, assuming they are
both 9-speed.

Chris

Clyde_in_TN
August 6th 03, 03:08 AM
George L. Porter, IV

> I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and how
> the work/last.

Love them!

>Also, are they compatible with shimano derailleurs?

Ya sure you bechya.

Shaun Rimmer
August 15th 03, 10:31 AM
George L. Porter, IV @cox.net> <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
> I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and
how
> the work/last. I have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out
about
> every year. I now use SRAM chains and am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0
> cassette which is cheaper than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also, are
> they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
>
> Thanks

A bit late, but I'll throw my 2# in anyhow - Built up my bike with an SRAM
cassette (11-34, 5.0? can't remember). Very happy with it indeed - flawless
and smooth shifting. It didn't last much over 18 months, but I had some
filthy, wet, gritty and muddy miles on it, and I'd abused it by running the
same chain far too long (or it woulda easy lasted twice that, IME). Got new
chain, needed new chain rings and cassette urgently, but couldn't get an
SRAM cheap enough or quick enough, so I went with an 11-32 XT, which works
just fine, also - I'll be holding out for another SRAM though, when I need
another.

Shaun aRe

fireflyer
August 18th 03, 06:19 AM
i am beating the hell out of a SRAM 9.0 cassette, and fully recommend it
over my last XT model. i run a 11-34 and it is still strong after 500 miles
in 18 months. i am all about shimano for shifters/derailluers, but i am all
for SRAM for cogs and chains!

"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> George L. Porter, IV @cox.net> <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
> > I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and
> how
> > the work/last. I have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out
> about
> > every year. I now use SRAM chains and am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0
> > cassette which is cheaper than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also,
are
> > they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> A bit late, but I'll throw my 2# in anyhow - Built up my bike with an SRAM
> cassette (11-34, 5.0? can't remember). Very happy with it indeed -
flawless
> and smooth shifting. It didn't last much over 18 months, but I had some
> filthy, wet, gritty and muddy miles on it, and I'd abused it by running
the
> same chain far too long (or it woulda easy lasted twice that, IME). Got
new
> chain, needed new chain rings and cassette urgently, but couldn't get an
> SRAM cheap enough or quick enough, so I went with an 11-32 XT, which works
> just fine, also - I'll be holding out for another SRAM though, when I need
> another.
>

> Shaun aRe

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home