PDA

View Full Version : SRAM 5.0 RD vs XTR M960

Bernard Rother
August 6th 03, 01:40 PM
Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on
Saturday ...... damaged rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday
and cannot locate replacement parts on South Africa. LBS suggested XTR. They
have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD.
My cassette is an SRAM 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM Gripshift. Will one
of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM parts. I have max 2 days
to let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.

Really need your help here .... thanks.

Bernard

Huw Pritchard
August 6th 03, 08:39 PM
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:13:34 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

> No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You
> need a SRAM rear mech.

Unless the shifters are SRAM ESP, which use 2:1 for Shimano compatibility.

Huw "I think..." Pritchard

Chris
August 7th 03, 04:40 AM
"Bernard Rother" > wrote in message

> Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on
> Saturday ...... damaged rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday
> and cannot locate replacement parts on South Africa. LBS suggested XTR.
They
> have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD.
> My cassette is an SRAM 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM Gripshift. Will one
> of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM parts. I have max 2 days
> to let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.
>
> Really need your help here .... thanks.
>
> Bernard

While the XTR is a hell of a lot better than a 5.0 mech, it's not gonna work
with a SRAM gripshifter (unless it's a special one, I think called ESP,
designed for shifting Shimano parts...but if it were, you wouldn't be using
that 5.0 now, would you).

If you cannot get a SRAM rear, get a Shimano rear shifter to go along with
that XTR derailleur.

Chris

bomba
August 7th 03, 08:22 AM
Huw Pritchard wrote:

>>No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You
>>need a SRAM rear mech.
>

> Unless the shifters are SRAM ESP, which use 2:1 for Shimano compatibility.
>
> Huw "I think..." Pritchard

ESP is the 1:1 ratio. You can get Shimano-compatible SRAM shifters, but
then they won't work with a SRAM rear mech. Because this guy's using
SRAM shifters and mech, then it must be ESP (1:1), so an XTR rear mech
won't work.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Huw Pritchard
August 7th 03, 08:35 AM
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:22:57 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

> ESP is the 1:1 ratio. You can get Shimano-compatible SRAM shifters, but
> then they won't work with a SRAM rear mech. Because this guy's using SRAM
> shifters and mech, then it must be ESP (1:1), so an XTR rear mech won't
> work.

Oh yeah. I see that clearly now.

I'm ill, OK? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Huw "Urrrrgh" Pritchard

Bernard Rother
August 7th 03, 02:45 PM
"Chris" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Bernard Rother" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on
> > Saturday ...... damaged rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last
Sunday
> > and cannot locate replacement parts on South Africa. LBS suggested XTR.
> They
> > have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD.
> > My cassette is an SRAM 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM Gripshift. Will
one
> > of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM parts. I have max 2
days
> > to let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.
> >
> > Really need your help here .... thanks.
> >
> > Bernard
> >

> While the XTR is a hell of a lot better than a 5.0 mech, it's not gonna
work
> with a SRAM gripshifter (unless it's a special one, I think called ESP,
> designed for shifting Shimano parts...but if it were, you wouldn't be
using
> that 5.0 now, would you).
>
> If you cannot get a SRAM rear, get a Shimano rear shifter to go along with
> that XTR derailleur.
>
> Chris

Thanks for all the feedback iro the above. We tried the XT mech with the
SRAM 5.0 shifter, 1st & 2nd shift was ok but skipped every second cog
thereafter ..... as suggested in the replies.
I came home with a shiny new XT mech and a pair of LX rapidfire shifters.
Had to leave behind the XTR and use the funds on the shifters ;-(

Have just finished installing the whole lot and come back from a short ride
..... what a pleasure !! The old SRAM 5.0's worked flawlessly until the
spares dried up but this Shimano kit is like a hot knife through butter ....
sooooo smooth. Now the sad part, the weather prediction for Saturday's ride
is 40% rain, strong westerly wind, 3 deg C temp with snow .... darn.

Thanks again for the help.

Bernard

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home