PDA

View Full Version : RR: Ridge Trail Hike and Bike

Bill Wheeler
August 7th 03, 01:45 AM
Had a little daylight left after work yesterday to I took the SS out
to Avalon and decided to have an easy ride on the Ridge trail.

It started out fine but when I finally got to the Ridge within 50 yard
there was a downed Ent at least 2 feet in diameter. Not a chance in
hell I was even going to think about trying to clear that. It's not
called the Ridge for nothing, plus it was still very moist and slick.

So I used the whimp technique, unclip one foot, step up and with free
foot, lift bike up step down with free foot, bike will follow.

Another 50 yards, same deal...repeat 2 more times. What a mess, I've
never seen so many downed trees. And they not being downed because of
trail damage these things are falling well above the trail on loosened
walls of the hill sides. I often wonder if anybody has ever been
crushed.

I finally hike and biked it to where Rockburn Branch and Morning
Choice intersect. I saw two other bikers starting up Morning Choice,
blowing shifts and they try and find Granny. What a God awful noise
that is. I quietly passed them on the SS.

I'm absolutely amazed how wet it "still" is back there. It's going to
have to be below 30 in December before you'll be able to ride those
trails without getting muddy. Until then, mud will be my friend.

Peace,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]

Marty
August 8th 03, 03:12 AM
"Bill Wheeler" > wrote in message
> Had a little daylight left after work yesterday to I took the SS out
> to Avalon and decided to have an easy ride on the Ridge trail.
>
> It started out fine but when I finally got to the Ridge within 50 yard
> there was a downed Ent at least 2 feet in diameter. Not a chance in
> hell I was even going to think about trying to clear that. It's not
> called the Ridge for nothing, plus it was still very moist and slick.
>
> So I used the whimp technique, unclip one foot, step up and with free
> foot, lift bike up step down with free foot, bike will follow.
>
> Another 50 yards, same deal...repeat 2 more times. What a mess, I've
> never seen so many downed trees. And they not being downed because of
> trail damage these things are falling well above the trail on loosened
> walls of the hill sides. I often wonder if anybody has ever been
> crushed.
>
> I finally hike and biked it to where Rockburn Branch and Morning
> Choice intersect. I saw two other bikers starting up Morning Choice,
> blowing shifts and they try and find Granny. What a God awful noise
> that is. I quietly passed them on the SS.
>
> I'm absolutely amazed how wet it "still" is back there. It's going to
> have to be below 30 in December before you'll be able to ride those
> trails without getting muddy. Until then, mud will be my friend.
>

> Peace,
> Bill
>

> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
> than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
> an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Bill,

I've noticed alot more blow downs around here as well.

Nice RR.

Marty

Bill Wheeler
August 8th 03, 04:03 AM
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 22:12:59 -0400, "Marty" >
wrote:

[snip]
>Bill,
>
> I've noticed alot more blow downs around here as well.
>
>Nice RR.
>
>Marty

I just pulled out my map of the Mckeldin area. From the map there are
quite a few of "unmaintained" trails there.

I drive past the RR tracks every day and see some people parked there.
There is some sort of empty Asian Restaurant or something also. Do
most people park there or in the main entrance to the park? Where's
the best place to pick up a good trail? Any local info would be
helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]

Bill Wheeler
August 9th 03, 02:36 AM
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:12:01 -0400, "Marty" >
wrote:

[snip]

> Park in the dirt lot by the tracks. You have to go north about 1/4 mile on
>the road and grab a trail into McKeldin. Or you can go west along the tracks
>and cross over and pick up a trail there. I'd be happy to hook up with you
>sometime if you ever want to go. I'm so used to riding alone I wouldn't know
>how to act..........................
>
>Marty

That's fine by me. This weekend is toast but lets try on hook up next
weekend if possible. Replace mtbingrocks.net by comcast.net to
e-mail me.

This should be fun.

Peace,
Bill
The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home