PDA

View Full Version : Time for new pedals? (no pun intended)

Jon Bond
August 7th 03, 09:00 AM
I think my pedals may have finally bit it. I took them apart to replace the
bearings, but after opening the bearings to see if something was visibly
wrong (it did destroy the seals, but I have new bearings) it appears as if
the part thats really rough is the needle bearing or bushing at the far end
of the spindle.

In addition, the pedal itself is pretty beat up. I've replaced the spring
caps a couple times after cracking them, but even these almost new (maybe
400 miles on them, probably less) ones are having problems.

http://www.pbase.com/image/20087102

Things arrowed to:

Top two arrows: indents/gouges on the spring cap - look like the release
spring bar went too far, and uneven at that.
Middle left pedal arrow: that doesn't look straight to you, does it?
Bottom left pedal arrow: that doesn't either....?
Right pedal middle arrow: hey, look, that one might be bent to!
Bottom right pedal arrow: nasty little chunk out of there, not to mention
the big gouges leading up that part too.

So, is it time to retire the old boys (or at least let them be my spare set,
maybe for road training when its nasty)? I think they're creaking too...

Jon Bond

Michael Dart
August 7th 03, 10:20 AM
"Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> I think my pedals may have finally bit it. I took them apart to replace
the
> bearings, but after opening the bearings to see if something was visibly
> wrong (it did destroy the seals, but I have new bearings) it appears as if
> the part thats really rough is the needle bearing or bushing at the far
end
> of the spindle.
>
> In addition, the pedal itself is pretty beat up. I've replaced the spring
> caps a couple times after cracking them, but even these almost new (maybe
> 400 miles on them, probably less) ones are having problems.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/20087102
>
> Things arrowed to:
>
> Top two arrows: indents/gouges on the spring cap - look like the release
> spring bar went too far, and uneven at that.
> Middle left pedal arrow: that doesn't look straight to you, does it?
> Bottom left pedal arrow: that doesn't either....?
> Right pedal middle arrow: hey, look, that one might be bent to!
> Bottom right pedal arrow: nasty little chunk out of there, not to mention
> the big gouges leading up that part too.
>
> So, is it time to retire the old boys (or at least let them be my spare
set,
> maybe for road training when its nasty)? I think they're creaking too...
>
> Jon Bond

Yes.

Mike

Carla A-G
August 7th 03, 01:36 PM
"Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> So, is it time to retire the old boys (or at least let them be my spare
set,
> maybe for road training when its nasty)? I think they're creaking too...

We just got ourselves a couple of sets of Time Z's and we're loving them.
Our Time ATACs were relegated to the fixed gear track bikes.

My point? Get yourself a set of Time Z's, they're awesome.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Jimbo(san)
August 7th 03, 02:23 PM
<My point? Get yourself a set of Time Z's, they're awesome.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass! >

Really Jon... All you have to do is look at the general condition of the
pedals.... They is beat. I had the same basic thing happen to my first
set of Times.... but that was after I thrashed the living hell out of
them for 2 years and they were hand me downs from Carla and she thrashed
them for like 3 years as well... Bite the damn bullet... but not
Speedplays!!!! Speedplays are just stupid ;-)

Jimbo(san)

Carla A-G
August 7th 03, 02:55 PM
> wrote in message
> Yes get a new pair. But make up your own mind what thet
> will be.

Nobody is allowed to make up their own mind in this place. You buy what
everybody tells you to buy.

Period.

- CA-G
because I say so...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

August 7th 03, 08:03 PM
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:01:20 -0700, "John Morgan"
> wrote:

>> So, is it time to retire the old boys (or at least let them be my spare
>set,
>> maybe for road training when its nasty)? I think they're creaking too...
>>
>> Jon Bond
>
>But you just got two new sets of plates for them!
>
>If you must make a switch, I recommend a nice set of Eggbeaters. They
>operate similarly to Time pedals, but they are easier to get in and out of
>and they are lighter weight. I made the switch from Times to Eggbeaters and
>I am quite satisfied.
>
>-John Morgan

Same here

Martin

James Messick
August 8th 03, 10:20 PM
So they look beat up. The question is, do they still work?

John Morgan
August 9th 03, 04:46 AM
> Jon Bond
> picking up some Frogs next weekend

Rut roh! Just wait until your sponsors get wind of this news...
Shouldn't you be running 959's?

-John Morgan

Jon Bond
August 9th 03, 06:42 AM
"John Morgan" > wrote in message
> > Jon Bond
> > picking up some Frogs next weekend
> >

> Rut roh! Just wait until your sponsors get wind of this news...
> Shouldn't you be running 959's?
>
> -John Morgan

Speedplay sponsors us, and I'm buying it through our sponsoring shop ;) I
use shimano shoes, to keep the big S happy.

The Times I had, or the Eggbeaters I was considering replacing them with,
those are a different story.

Jon Bond

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home