PDA

View Full Version : XTR stock lube

Edwards
August 8th 03, 03:50 AM
silly noobish query regarding Shimano drivetrain:

Does the {stock-grade} lewbrication soacking on the 9 speed XTR series
Shimano chain have any mechanical significance?

Should it be left completely intact for a few maiden rides for a break in
period? THe reason I ask?

Well...It seems awful thick--

heh- Immediately after sliding gleeming peice of machined brilliance out of
the clear plastic wrapper, I steadfastly degrease it with simple green and a
rag - fearing otherwise-

that super-thick layer of molasses syrup colored ooze would readily gather
every molecule of dust and disturbance the government trail presented for
the chewing..
...thusly and hastily gooping the whole drivetrain with dark black resin of
soil and such (retribe)
.....hehe

SO-- LEave it or dEgrease it?

thanks in advance

So does the lube need to be left on for the initial seeding and then cleened
spotless?

Or should the continutation of this super tedious just be overlooked
allowing the drivetrain get all caked?

Chris
August 8th 03, 06:13 AM
"Edwards" > wrote in message
> silly noobish query regarding Shimano drivetrain:
>
> Does the {stock-grade} lewbrication soacking on the 9 speed XTR series
> Shimano chain have any mechanical significance?
>
> Should it be left completely intact for a few maiden rides for a break in
> period? THe reason I ask?

Having never used an XTR/Dura-Ace chain, but putting on lots of darn near
everything else, I can tell you the first thing I do with ALL makes of
chains is a de-grease and a proper lube (Syn Lube for slop riding, Dry for
road and commuter). Factory grease is great at collecting crud, and not
much else.

And, you should switch to SRAM :)

Chris

Mitch Pollard
August 8th 03, 09:38 AM
That Factory thick arse goop stuff is useless. I tell you now. Degrease it.
Whack some Lightning, Ace wax dry luve stuff.. bout $5 a bottle from the LBS
ask them how to apply. theres tricks to it. yeah that goop from the factory
will pickup everything and grind it through the chain mechanism. \

have fun..

And you should switch to Sram.

Carla A-G
August 8th 03, 03:35 PM
"Edwards" > wrote in message
> silly noobish query regarding Shimano drivetrain:
>
> Does the {stock-grade} lewbrication soacking on the 9 speed XTR series
> Shimano chain have any mechanical significance?
>
> Should it be left completely intact for a few maiden rides for a break in
> period? THe reason I ask?
> Well...It seems awful thick--

The goo that comes on new chains is "cosmolene" . It is not a lubricant, it
is more like a preservative so the chain doesn't dry up or get rusty when
stored.

> heh- Immediately after sliding gleeming peice of machined brilliance out
of
> the clear plastic wrapper, I steadfastly degrease it with simple green and
> rag - fearing otherwise-
>
> that super-thick layer of molasses syrup colored ooze would readily gather
> every molecule of dust and disturbance the government trail presented for
> the chewing..
> ..thusly and hastily gooping the whole drivetrain with dark black resin of
> soil and such (retribe)
> ....hehe
>
> SO-- LEave it or dEgrease it?

You must clean the stuff off the chain. It will get your drive train all
mucky if you keep using the chain like that.

Follow Sheldon's simple instructions to clean it off:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G
August 8th 03, 07:15 PM
"Stephen Baker" > wrote in message
> Good advice from all - except that the only lube to use is Boeshied T5
;-)

Bull****, White Lightening rules :-)

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Dave W
August 9th 03, 02:21 AM
On 08 Aug 2003 17:12:01 GMT, (Stephen Baker)
wrote:

>Good advice from all - except that the only lube to use is Boeshied T5 ;-)
>
>Steve

I couldn't agree more.

Dave (Woe what said times are these?)

Dave W
August 9th 03, 02:23 AM
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:15:41 -0400, "Carla A-G"
> wrote:

>"Stephen Baker" > wrote in message
>> Good advice from all - except that the only lube to use is Boeshied T5
>;-)
>
>Bull****, White Lightening rules :-)
>
>- CA-G
>
>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!