PDA

View Full Version : Newby question: Giant Iguana

Carsten Dittrich
August 8th 03, 08:08 PM
Hi alltogether,

I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
following components:

color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red
size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23"
frame Supersized ALUXX butted aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC
geometry, Disc brake mount
fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer tube, 3.1" travel
derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore
derailleurshifters Shimano Deore, 9-speed
cranks Giant, 22/32/44T
pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps
handlebar Alloy 1.25" riser
stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead
headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8"
levers Avid AD3
brakes Alloy direct pull w/ power control
saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever
rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC sidewall
hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette
tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0
cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T, 9-speed
spokes Stainless Steel 14G
additional Chainguard

I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike
because I am not quite sure if the components are all rigth according to
the price I payed (600 EUR).
Has anyone of you this bike and and / or can give me some advice or
opinion on it?

Thanx in advance
Claudia

SDC
August 8th 03, 08:57 PM
"Carsten Dittrich" > wrote in message
> Hi alltogether,
>
> I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
> following components:

Claudia,

People are going to jump on you for posting that. Its better to ask before
you buy the bike...and even then you will be told to buy what you like, what
fits you and your budget...after trying out a few bikes.

Just ride it a lot and enjoy it. Maybe you paid a bit too much...who
cares...you don't want to know that someone thinks you overpaid for a crappy
bike, it'll just make you feel bad.

So if I were you...I would not come back to read postings to your thread
here.

just have fun.

James Messick
August 8th 03, 10:16 PM
Well done!

"Carsten Dittrich" > wrote in message
> Hi alltogether,
>
> I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
> following components:
>
> color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red
> size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23"
> frame Supersized ALUXX butted aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC
> geometry, Disc brake mount
> fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer tube, 3.1" travel
> derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore
> derailleurshifters Shimano Deore, 9-speed
> cranks Giant, 22/32/44T
> pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps
> handlebar Alloy 1.25" riser
> stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead
> headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8"
> levers Avid AD3
> brakes Alloy direct pull w/ power control
> saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
> seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever
> rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC sidewall
> hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette
> tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0
> cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T, 9-speed
> spokes Stainless Steel 14G
> additional Chainguard
>
> I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike
> because I am not quite sure if the components are all rigth according to
> the price I payed (600 EUR).
> Has anyone of you this bike and and / or can give me some advice or
> opinion on it?
>
> Thanx in advance
> Claudia

Marty
August 9th 03, 12:47 AM
"Carsten Dittrich" > wrote in message
> Hi alltogether,
>
> I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
> following components:
>
> color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red
> size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23"
> frame Supersized ALUXX butted aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC
> geometry, Disc brake mount
> fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer tube, 3.1" travel
> derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore
> derailleurshifters Shimano Deore, 9-speed
> cranks Giant, 22/32/44T
> pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps
> handlebar Alloy 1.25" riser
> stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead
> headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8"
> levers Avid AD3
> brakes Alloy direct pull w/ power control
> saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
> seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever
> rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC sidewall
> hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette
> tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0
> cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T, 9-speed
> spokes Stainless Steel 14G
> additional Chainguard
>
> I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike
> because I am not quite sure if the components are all rigth according to
> the price I payed (600 EUR).
> Has anyone of you this bike and and / or can give me some advice or
> opinion on it?
>
> Thanx in advance
> Claudia

Welcome to the "club". My sympathies. Your best bet is to get out and ride
it now. You'll figure out quickly enough whether you made a good buy or not.

Marty

August 9th 03, 04:11 AM
"SDC" > wrote in message >...
> "Carsten Dittrich" > wrote in message
> > Hi alltogether,
> >
> > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
> > following components:
>
> Claudia,
>
> People are going to jump on you for posting that. Its better to ask before
> you buy the bike...and even then you will be told to buy what you like, what
> fits you and your budget...after trying out a few bikes.
>
> Just ride it a lot and enjoy it. Maybe you paid a bit too much...who
> cares...you don't want to know that someone thinks you overpaid for a crappy
> bike, it'll just make you feel bad.
>
> So if I were you...I would not come back to read postings to your thread
> here.
>
> just have fun.

On the contrary, there are people here who can't seem to reply to
people in a respectful manner, no matter what the situation, so come
back, read the replies, and tell those who answer to you negatively to
**** off.....

Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the
Iguana or Rainier that you are getting alot of bike for the money you
paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but they are
enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing
I may have recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was
to buy the Iguana disc, just because I swear by disc brakes. Other
than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed.
Enjoy your bike!

Phil, Squid-in-Training
August 9th 03, 06:26 AM
> Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the
> Iguana or Rainier that you are getting alot of bike for the money you
> paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but they are
> enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing
> I may have recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was
> to buy the Iguana disc, just because I swear by disc brakes. Other
> than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
> their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed.
> Enjoy your bike!

Absolutely. I have a Giant XTC that I wish I hadn't bought... it's so good
that I don't feel I'm worthy of it. I wish I had bought a Rainier instead
because it would have been half the price... It's been damn good - I'd
expect no less than the best from Giant.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

OrangeCountyCarl
August 9th 03, 06:37 AM
> wrote in message
om...
> Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the
> Iguana or Rainier that you are getting alot of bike for the money you
> paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but they are
> enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing
> I may have recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was
> to buy the Iguana disc, just because I swear by disc brakes. Other
> than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
> their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed.
> Enjoy your bike!

After doing my homework for a couple of months and by lurking here and SoCal
message boards,
I purchased *my* Iguana Disc last night and think it's great so far. My
first real ride this Sunday....can't wait!

The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus
Green! :)

OCCarl

JD
August 9th 03, 11:12 AM
"OrangeCountyCarl" > wrote in message >...
<snip another giant commercial as stated by howdy doody>
> After doing my homework for a couple of months and by lurking here and SoCal
> message boards,
> I purchased *my* Iguana Disc last night and think it's great so far. My
> first real ride this Sunday....can't wait!

First real ride where in OC? I would imagine just about anywhere you
go it'll be bumper to bumper on a Sunday.

> The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus
> Green! :)

I hope you still have that bike.

JD

JD
August 9th 03, 11:15 AM
"SDC" > wrote in message >...
> "Carsten Dittrich" > wrote in message
> > Hi alltogether,
> >
> > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
> > following components:
>
> Claudia,
>
> People are going to jump on you for posting that. Its better to ask before
> you buy the bike...and even then you will be told to buy what you like, what
> fits you and your budget...after trying out a few bikes.
<snip>

If someone bought a fully decked custom bike and asked for
post-purchase approval, it would still be just as lame as asking about
a cookie cutter.

BTW, wasn't Godzilla a giant iguana?

JD

August 9th 03, 12:33 PM
"OrangeCountyCarl" > wrote in message >...
> > wrote in message
> om...
> > Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the
> > Iguana or Rainier that you are getting alot of bike for the money you
> > paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but they are
> > enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing
> > I may have recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was
> > to buy the Iguana disc, just because I swear by disc brakes. Other
> > than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
> > their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed.
> > Enjoy your bike!
>
> After doing my homework for a couple of months and by lurking here and SoCal
> message boards,
> I purchased *my* Iguana Disc last night and think it's great so far. My
> first real ride this Sunday....can't wait!
>
> The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus
> Green! :)
>
> OCCarl

You will never want to own anything but disc brakes from now on.....

Super Slinky
August 9th 03, 01:07 PM
Carsten Dittrich said...

> Hi alltogether,
>
> I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
> following components:

> I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike
> because I am not quite sure if the components are all rigth according to
> the price I payed (600 EUR).
> Has anyone of you this bike and and / or can give me some advice or
> opinion on it?
>
> Thanx in advance
> Claudia

Nice beginner bike and the price seems about right. Make sure you get as
much free service as possible from the bike shop you bought it from.

August 9th 03, 01:24 PM
I do laugh at your jokes JD.

Fire up MTB 03

Mitch Pollard
August 9th 03, 06:39 PM
Im intrested to know what discs come on the Iguana. also was it a 2003 model
or 2004 model iguana ? also what shocks came on it.

I bought a 2004 Yukon i had my heart set on the iguana disc in the 2004
model my lbs hadnt had word on them yet. i believed them.

cheers

Phil, Squid-in-Training
August 9th 03, 09:27 PM
> wrote in message
om...
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
> > > Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the
> > > Iguana or Rainier that you are getting alot of bike for the money you
> > > paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but they are
> > > enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing
> > > I may have recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was
> > > to buy the Iguana disc, just because I swear by disc brakes. Other
> > > than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
> > > their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed.
> > > Enjoy your bike!
> >
> > Absolutely. I have a Giant XTC that I wish I hadn't bought... it's so
good
> > that I don't feel I'm worthy of it. I wish I had bought a Rainier
instead
> > because it would have been half the price... It's been damn good - I'd
> > expect no less than the best from Giant.
>
> I have had the opportunity to buy a 2002 NRS 1 from a local shop for
> $1500 for quite some time now. Still thinking about it, although I'm
> sure you will agree it's quite a deal to pass up.

Quite the deal.

As a Team Florida Cycling team member, I bought my XTC 2 at $750 plus tax.
They had a 2001 XTC 1 for the same price. I passed it up for the newer
bike. I couldn't get over how light it was, and the tubeless/hydraulic put
me off a bit. As you can see, I wasn't too interested in FS, but it's
starting to tug at me now, lol.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

August 9th 03, 10:41 PM
"Mitch Pollard" > wrote in message >...
> Im intrested to know what discs come on the Iguana. also was it a 2003 model
> or 2004 model iguana ? also what shocks came on it.
>
> I bought a 2004 Yukon i had my heart set on the iguana disc in the 2004
> model my lbs hadnt had word on them yet. i believed them.
>
> cheers

Hayes mechanicals come on the Iguana disc here in the States. We
don't have the 2004 models here in the States, but rather, Giant
released a "Spring Collection" of bikes, which included the Yukon in
the ONCE Yellow race paint job with Hayes mechanical discs.

OrangeCountyCarl
August 10th 03, 05:30 AM
om...
wrote in message >...
> First real ride where in OC? I would imagine just about anywhere you
> go it'll be bumper to bumper on a Sunday.

It's bumper to bumper *every* day of the week. :)

I will probably check out Aliso Creek. Not too far from
Costa Mesa.

> > The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus
> > Green! :)
>
> I hope you still have that bike.
>
> JD

Sadly, no. I gave it away in the early 80's to a mother who didn't have a
lot of money for her kid.
I wish I had kept it in a way. Who knew a 70's Schwinn would be worth so
much today?
I trashed a lot of 70's items I wish I had kept. :(

OCCarl

OrangeCountyCarl
August 10th 03, 06:27 AM
> wrote in message
om...

> You will never want to own anything but disc brakes from now on.....

I'm a total Mountain Bike newbie, but I remember the brakes on the Schwinn
were OK in good weather and totally useless
in rain.....and sometimes it rained almost every day in Florida where I grew
up.

The brakes on the Iguana Disc will have you doing endos if you stop too
fast.......LOL.
They're impressive to me.

OCCarl

fireflyer
August 10th 03, 08:30 AM
I love my Giant, but have thought to upgrade it a bit. See my Iguana here:
http://jumper135.tripod.com/chris/id2.html

I love the frame, and it seems worthy of the upgrades!

"Carsten Dittrich" > wrote in message
> Hi alltogether,
>
> I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the
> following components:
>
> color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red
> size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23"
> frame Supersized ALUXX butted aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC
> geometry, Disc brake mount
> fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer tube, 3.1" travel
> derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore
> derailleurshifters Shimano Deore, 9-speed
> cranks Giant, 22/32/44T
> pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps
> handlebar Alloy 1.25" riser
> stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead
> headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8"
> levers Avid AD3
> brakes Alloy direct pull w/ power control
> saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
> seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever
> rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC sidewall
> hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette
> tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0
> cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T, 9-speed
> spokes Stainless Steel 14G
> additional Chainguard
>
> I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike
> because I am not quite sure if the components are all rigth according to
> the price I payed (600 EUR).
> Has anyone of you this bike and and / or can give me some advice or
> opinion on it?
>
> Thanx in advance
> Claudia

fireflyer
August 10th 03, 08:31 AM
> wrote in message
om...
> "Mitch Pollard" > wrote in message
> > Im intrested to know what discs come on the Iguana. also was it a 2003
model
> > or 2004 model iguana ? also what shocks came on it.
> >
> > I bought a 2004 Yukon i had my heart set on the iguana disc in the 2004
> > model my lbs hadnt had word on them yet. i believed them.
> >
> > cheers
>
> Hayes mechanicals come on the Iguana disc here in the States.

those brakes SUCK

fireflyer
August 11th 03, 03:50 AM
ROTF LMAO