PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of tubeless tires?

SkaredShtles
October 6th 03, 03:33 AM
So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can see
are:

1. They're heavy
2. They're expensive
3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat

Any others?

-S.S.-

Anthony Sloan
October 6th 03, 03:51 AM
SkaredShtles wrote:

> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em

> -S.S.-

"This food is terrible, and there's not enough of it."

Don't like 'em. Don't buy 'em.. It really is that simple.

Bob
October 6th 03, 03:52 AM
"SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can see
> are:
>
> 1. They're heavy
> 2. They're expensive
> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> Any others?
>
> -S.S.-

They're really coooooooool...........

Shaun Rimmer
October 6th 03, 11:37 AM
"SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can see
> are:
>
> 1. They're heavy
> 2. They're expensive
> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> Any others?

Nope, I think you've just about got it covered.

Shaun aRe

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
October 6th 03, 12:07 PM
>"SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
>> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can see
>> are:
>>
>> 1. They're heavy
>> 2. They're expensive
>> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
>> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat

Have you actually ridden them? They're great in some conditions, not
so great in others.

Disc brakes are heavier and more expensive than V-brakes. Again,
sometimes they're an advantage, other times they're not.

You payz your money...

Barry

Andy Chequer
October 6th 03, 05:08 PM
Mr Fagerlin is such a fan of this answer-without-a-question that he's got a
whole website devoted to its worship

www.yestubes.com

as opposed to

www.notubes.com

Andy Chequer, it's very funny.

Lennie Garcia
October 6th 03, 05:22 PM
One major advantage to using tubless is that pinch flats are less likely to
happen and you can run with lower tire pressure with one HUGE caveat.

If you use lower tire pressure and you land a jump wrong (wheels slightly
turned) the tire can fold and releasing all the tire pressure just as if you
had a blow out.

I know this from first hand experience and it has caused me to crash twice
after I lost tire pressure in the front tire.

"SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can see
> are:
>
> 1. They're heavy
> 2. They're expensive
> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> Any others?
>
> -S.S.-

John Morgan
October 6th 03, 06:03 PM
> 1. They're heavy
> 2. They're expensive
> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> Any others?

Don't forget:

- They can be difficult to mount properly.
- They often leak air quickly, especially if you are victim to the above
statement.

-John Morgan
--
"I tried lube, careful prying, careful digging and even not so careful
digging. Little chunks of rubber." --Sad Bob

iddqdATworldonline.dk
October 6th 03, 07:50 PM
SkaredShtles wrote:

> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can see
> are:
>
> 1. They're heavy
> 2. They're expensive
> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> Any others?

They roll better.

Regards

Bruno

SkaredShtles
October 7th 03, 03:07 AM
B a r r y B u r k e J r . >
wrote in :

>>"SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
>>> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I
>>> can see are:
>>>
>>> 1. They're heavy
>>> 2. They're expensive
>>> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
>>> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> Have you actually ridden them? They're great in some conditions, not
> so great in others.

Yep. I rode them for 4 rides. Then I got a pinch flat. I hadn't gotten a
pinch flat the prior 3 years on tubed tires. I'm going to put on my Zmax's
tomorrow......

-S.S.-

Chris
October 7th 03, 03:28 AM
"SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can see
> are:
>
> 1. They're heavy

Usually by about the same weight a tube would add. Sometimes more,
sometimes less, but the total weight is about the same.

> 2. They're expensive

They're also more durable and puncture-resitant than standard tires. Plus,
whatever money you would be spending in tubes, you're not anymore. Do the
math on how many tubes you usually replace in the lifetime of a tire, then
see how the cost works out.

> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em

Unless you're complaining about one specific model not being available, I
have to disagree with this statement. All companies make UST versions of
their best-selling/most popular tires, often in multiple widths. From
semi-slicks to bigass DH tires, it's all there. What can't you find?

> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat

I have not had a flat in two years of tubeless riding. And, tubeless tires
are patchable.

> Any others?

They can be difficult to mount...the tradeoff for me is I don't have to pull
them off the rim again until the tread wears down, or I want to try a
different tire. They do lose air...so do tubes. Aren't you checking
pressure and pumping up before every ride anyway?

If you want to be really slick, you can seal off a non-UST tire and put it
on a UST rim san tube. That way, you get the performance of tubeless
(excepting extra casing toughness) with less weight than even the best tubed
set-ups.

Tubeless is superior in every way, says me: handling, flatting, durability,
maintenance. As I've said before, I expect tubes to be a distant memory by
the time I have kids on bikes.

Chris

SkaredShtles
October 7th 03, 04:34 AM
"Chris" > wrote in
k.net:

> "SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
> . 71.230...
>> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can
>> see are:
<snip>

> They're also more durable and puncture-resitant than standard tires.
> Plus, whatever money you would be spending in tubes, you're not
> anymore. Do the math on how many tubes you usually replace in the
> lifetime of a tire, then see how the cost works out.

Hmmm... let's see. My last tube outlasted 3 tires. And I think it cost
around $3. Pretty good return, even considering the tires never cost
more than $25 each.

>> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
>
> Unless you're complaining about one specific model not being
> available, I have to disagree with this statement. All companies make
> UST versions of their best-selling/most popular tires, often in
> multiple widths. From semi-slicks to bigass DH tires, it's all there.
> What can't you find?

Ritchey ZMax. I returned to these after about 4 different "popular"
tires that I tried. I was initially bummed that they weren't available,
but now I'll just put on my old ZMax's with a tube.........

>> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> I have not had a flat in two years of tubeless riding. And, tubeless
> tires are patchable.

Lucky man. I had a flat on the fourth ride I did on tubeless (pinch
flat, no less). And I was running the tire at 30 lbs.... not what I
would consider particularly low pressure.

<snip>
> to try a different tire. They do lose air...so do tubes. Aren't you
> checking pressure and pumping up before every ride anyway?

Yep - I had to pump up the tubeless before EVERY one of the 4 rides.
With my old wheels I would only have to add air a couple times a year.

> Tubeless is superior in every way, says me: handling, flatting,
> durability, maintenance. As I've said before, I expect tubes to be a
> distant memory by the time I have kids on bikes.

They better get better than they are then....... until then I'll be
riding tubes with my ZMax's.

-S.S.-

di
October 7th 03, 06:31 PM
So why do you ask for others opinion when you only want to argue with them,
you seem happy with your present cheap tire/tube setup. Keep it, no one is
going to try to persuade you to go tubeless. I've been happy with
tubeless tires, I have them on 2 bikes, only 1 flat in 1-1/2 years, it was
repaired with superglue without taking the tire off the rim or even the
wheel off the bike. Keep your tubes, I'll keep my tubeless.

"SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
> "Chris" > wrote in
> k.net:
>

> > "SkaredShtles" > wrote in message
> > . 71.230...
> >> So what are the advantages that I'm missing....? The only ones I can
> >> see are:
> <snip>
> >
> > They're also more durable and puncture-resitant than standard tires.
> > Plus, whatever money you would be spending in tubes, you're not
> > anymore. Do the math on how many tubes you usually replace in the
> > lifetime of a tire, then see how the cost works out.
>
> Hmmm... let's see. My last tube outlasted 3 tires. And I think it cost
> around $3. Pretty good return, even considering the tires never cost
> more than $25 each.
>
> >> 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
> >
> > Unless you're complaining about one specific model not being
> > available, I have to disagree with this statement. All companies make
> > UST versions of their best-selling/most popular tires, often in
> > multiple widths. From semi-slicks to bigass DH tires, it's all there.
> > What can't you find?
>
> Ritchey ZMax. I returned to these after about 4 different "popular"
> tires that I tried. I was initially bummed that they weren't available,
> but now I'll just put on my old ZMax's with a tube.........
>
> >> 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
> >
> > I have not had a flat in two years of tubeless riding. And, tubeless
> > tires are patchable.
>
> Lucky man. I had a flat on the fourth ride I did on tubeless (pinch
> flat, no less). And I was running the tire at 30 lbs.... not what I
> would consider particularly low pressure.
>
> <snip>
> > to try a different tire. They do lose air...so do tubes. Aren't you
> > checking pressure and pumping up before every ride anyway?
>
> Yep - I had to pump up the tubeless before EVERY one of the 4 rides.
> With my old wheels I would only have to add air a couple times a year.
>
> > Tubeless is superior in every way, says me: handling, flatting,
> > durability, maintenance. As I've said before, I expect tubes to be a
> > distant memory by the time I have kids on bikes.
>
> They better get better than they are then....... until then I'll be
> riding tubes with my ZMax's.
>
> -S.S.-

Super Slinky
October 7th 03, 10:16 PM
Chris said...

> > 1. They're heavy
>
> Usually by about the same weight a tube would add. Sometimes more,
> sometimes less, but the total weight is about the same.

I use Michelin Jet S tires which are available in both styles. The
tubeless version weighs 700g, the regular weighs 500g. Regular tubes are
about 160g, ultra-lights about 100g. So I agree the total weight is
about the same, unless you use ultra-light tubes, but that has its own
problems.

> > 2. They're expensive
>
> They're also more durable and puncture-resitant than standard tires. Plus,
> whatever money you would be spending in tubes, you're not anymore. Do the
> math on how many tubes you usually replace in the lifetime of a tire, then
> see how the cost works out.

Performance has had Jet S tubeless on sale for months now for $20-25. I
haven't made up my mind about durability yet. I have had a couple of
flats with my tubeless tires this season. Actually, that is a good point
to bring up, because they never actually went flat after being
punctured. Just a slow leak that gave me plenty of time to get air in
before I had to walk. Tube punctures seem to go flat much faster.

> > 3. There's really a poor selection of 'em
>
> Unless you're complaining about one specific model not being available, I
> have to disagree with this statement. All companies make UST versions of
> their best-selling/most popular tires, often in multiple widths. From
> semi-slicks to bigass DH tires, it's all there. What can't you find?

If your favorite tires come in tubeless versions, you have all the
selection you need. If not, then tubeless sucks.

> > 4. You have to carry a tube with you anyways for when they flat
>
> I have not had a flat in two years of tubeless riding. And, tubeless tires
> are patchable.

They're patchable, but getting them inflated on the trail may be a
different story. I carry a tube for backup.

> They can be difficult to mount...the tradeoff for me is I don't have to pull
> them off the rim again until the tread wears down, or I want to try a
> different tire. They do lose air...so do tubes. Aren't you checking
> pressure and pumping up before every ride anyway?

YMMV, but I have no trouble mounting mine. You just have to make sure
all of the bead is in the center trough before you try to get it over
the edge of the rim.

> If you want to be really slick, you can seal off a non-UST tire and put it
> on a UST rim san tube. That way, you get the performance of tubeless
> (excepting extra casing toughness) with less weight than even the best tubed
> set-ups.
>
> Tubeless is superior in every way, says me: handling, flatting, durability,
> maintenance. As I've said before, I expect tubes to be a distant memory by
> the time I have kids on bikes.
>
> Chris

What made me want to try tubeless was the promise of lower rolling
resistance. I think it is true, but it is kind of a subjective thing and
hard to prove that you aren't just imagining it.

Super Slinky
October 7th 03, 10:20 PM
SkaredShtles said...

> Yep - I had to pump up the tubeless before EVERY one of the 4 rides.
> With my old wheels I would only have to add air a couple times a year.

I've never had tires hold pressure for half a year. My tubeless hold air
better than any tubes I have used. They lose air at about half the rate
of tubes. I know that isn't what most people experience with tubeless,
but holding air hasn't been a problem for me (yet).

SkaredShtles
October 8th 03, 04:13 AM
"di" > wrote in
:

> So why do you ask for others opinion when you only want to argue with
> them, you seem happy with your present cheap tire/tube setup. Keep
> it, no one is going to try to persuade you to go tubeless. I've
> been happy with tubeless tires, I have them on 2 bikes, only 1 flat in
> 1-1/2 years, it was repaired with superglue without taking the tire
> off the rim or even the wheel off the bike. Keep your tubes, I'll
> keep my tubeless.

Please don't top post.

Thanks,

-S.S.-