PDA

View Full Version : Hey JD, got a World Cup prediction?

bomba
October 9th 03, 07:43 PM
After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
tomorrow).

Anyone else?

Gary in VA
October 10th 03, 02:31 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> tomorrow).
>
> Anyone else?

I'm picking those guys in the rugby uniforms to win. You know, the ones
wearing the dirty uniforms.

Gary in VA

BB
October 10th 03, 05:00 AM
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:43:55 +0200, bomba wrote:
> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> tomorrow).
>
> Anyone else?

The team with the least teeth.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Westie
October 10th 03, 05:02 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> tomorrow).
>
> Anyone else?

As if anyone else is in the running... ;-P
The All Blacks.
Go Kiwi!
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

miles todd
October 10th 03, 05:04 AM
bomba wrote:
> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> tomorrow).
>
> Anyone else?

Here's how it is going to go: After a tough, long struggle some great
team will come in second. And the Kiwis, of course, will come in first.

At least, if it is like every other year since time began.

Miles

gazzer
October 10th 03, 05:44 AM
bomba > wrote in message >...
> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> tomorrow).
>
> Anyone else?

woohooo.
should get fairly rowdy as all the top ten teams(except Argentina) and
some others (US and Canada) have plenty of supporters here.
I'll have to get my riding in early.

oh yeah, England all the way obviously.

gaz

Westie
October 10th 03, 06:22 AM
"miles todd" > wrote in message

> bomba wrote:
> > After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> > I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> > tomorrow).
> >
> > Anyone else?
> >
> Here's how it is going to go: After a tough, long struggle some great
> team will come in second. And the Kiwis, of course, will come in first.
>
> At least, if it is like every other year since time began.

Except that at the last Rugby World Cup a long time rival team not worth
mentioning beat the Kiwi's, dealing to them a devastating blow that drew
tears to the eyes of even the most hardened Kiwi rugby fans. Truely a dark
day in New Zealand's history.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Westie
October 10th 03, 06:29 AM
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"gazzer" > wrote in message
om...
> bomba > wrote in message
> > After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> > I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> > tomorrow).
> >
> > Anyone else?
>
> woohooo.
> should get fairly rowdy as all the top ten teams(except Argentina) and
> some others (US and Canada) have plenty of supporters here.
> I'll have to get my riding in early.
>
> oh yeah, England all the way obviously.

I consulted the crystal ball and England will meet France in one semi final
and Australia will meet New Zealand in the other.

Ten reasons why we will win:
1. Form. We're on it.
2. An easy group. Asutralia and Sth Africa will knock themselves to pieces.
3. The weather. Perfect for us.
4. The outside backs. Who can beat them?
6. Being in Australia. Australia has gone Rugby WC bonkers.
7. Carlos Spencer. Who can beat him?
8. Depth. A champion team AND team of champions.
9. Self belief. Because we can.
10. It's New Zealand's turn. Isn't it?
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Sorni
October 10th 03, 07:04 AM
"Gary in VA" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "bomba" > wrote in message
> > After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> > I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> > tomorrow).
> >
> > Anyone else?
> >

> I'm picking those guys in the rugby uniforms to win. You know, the ones
> wearing the dirty uniforms.

Oh, you mean the ones with the rowdy fans!

Bill "good call" S.

Pete Jones
October 10th 03, 08:13 AM
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:43:55 +0200, bomba >
blathered:

>After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
>I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup

Looks like the hookers will be onto a winner:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3160670.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/3158202.stm

*Chuckle*

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

bomba
October 10th 03, 08:33 AM
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:29:00 +1300, Westie wrote:

>> woohooo.
>> should get fairly rowdy as all the top ten teams(except Argentina) and
>> some others (US and Canada) have plenty of supporters here.
>> I'll have to get my riding in early.
>>
>> oh yeah, England all the way obviously.
>
> I consulted the crystal ball and England will meet France in one semi final
> and Australia will meet New Zealand in the other.

If it goes the way of the world rankings. I'm not convinced that France
will make it to the semis though...

> Ten reasons why we will win:
> 1. Form. We're on it.
> 2. An easy group. Asutralia and Sth Africa will knock themselves to
> pieces.

I read an article that said that this may work against them. All of their
opponents have said that they'll field a 2nd XV against the AB's as they
fight for second place. That means the Kiwis won't have had a decent test
until they get to the quarters.

> 3. The weather. Perfect for us.

Since when has scorching heat favoured NZ?

> 4. The outside backs. Who can beat them?

Rokocoko and Howlett are awesome. Glad they left Cullen at home though.

> 6. Being in Australia. Australia has gone Rugby WC bonkers.

Yep, I'm looking forward to going.

> 7. Carlos Spencer. Who can beat him?

Good when things are going his way, becomes erratic when under pressure.

> 8. Depth. A champion team AND team of champions.
> 9. Self belief. Because we can.
> 10. It's New Zealand's turn. Isn't it?

NZ, Oz, SA, Oz... yep, must be NZ next.

Well, due to the shock exit of Luxembourg in the first round of
qualifying, I'd say it's now a toss up between England and NZ. Heart says
England, head says NZ. Just looking forward to a cracking set of semis
and finals.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

bomba
October 10th 03, 08:37 AM
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:44:18 -0700, gazzer wrote:

> woohooo.
> should get fairly rowdy as all the top ten teams(except Argentina) and
> some others (US and Canada) have plenty of supporters here.

You in Oz now?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Rob
October 10th 03, 10:26 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message ...
> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> tomorrow).
>
> Anyone else?

Wallabies

Rob
October 10th 03, 10:29 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:29:00 +1300, Westie wrote:

<snipped>
> I read an article that said that this may work against them. All of their
> opponents have said that they'll field a 2nd XV against the AB's as they
> fight for second place. That means the Kiwis won't have had a decent test
> until they get to the quarters.
>
> > 3. The weather. Perfect for us.
>
> Since when has scorching heat favoured NZ?

Cold (at least for us) and probably wet for this weekend in Sydney.

Rob

Westie
October 10th 03, 11:36 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:29:00 +1300, Westie wrote:
<snip>
Just looking forward to a cracking set of semis
> and finals.

Amen to that!
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Sorni
October 10th 03, 04:45 PM
"Westie" > wrote in message

> I consulted the crystal ball and England will meet France in one semi
final
> and Australia will meet New Zealand in the other.

France will concede defeat in the first or second round. It's what they do
best.

Bill "there's a Rugby World Cup?!?" S.

bomba
October 10th 03, 05:11 PM
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:45:23 +0000, Sorni wrote:

>> I consulted the crystal ball and England will meet France in one semi
> final
>> and Australia will meet New Zealand in the other.
>
> France will concede defeat in the first or second round. It's what they do
> best.

Yeah, but Germany aren't there, so they should be fine. Actually, the
French play USA on Oct 31st, which should be entertaining - see who flies
the white flag in that game.

> Bill "there's a Rugby World Cup?!?" S.

Of course, and you'll never guess who scored the first points...
http://www.scrum.com/news/news_detail.asp?newsid=4209

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Dave W
October 10th 03, 05:36 PM
> http://www.scrum.com/news/news_detail.asp?newsid=4209

thats pretty fecking cool! Congratulations!

JD
October 10th 03, 06:01 PM
bomba > wrote in message >...
> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
> tomorrow).

Ireland

JD

Stephen Baker
October 10th 03, 06:30 PM
bomba says:

>Of course, and you'll never guess who scored the first points...
>http://www.scrum.com/news/news_detail.asp?newsid=4209

Good job there, Jon. Nothing like having a horn to blow, eh?

Steve "not blowing ANYONE's horn today..."

Sorni
October 10th 03, 06:46 PM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:45:23 +0000, Sorni wrote:
>
> > Bill "there's a Rugby World Cup?!?" S.
>
> Of course, and you'll never guess who scored the first points...
> http://www.scrum.com/news/news_detail.asp?newsid=4209

No wonder you've got those scarred-up tree-trunks you call legs :)

Bill "is there women's rugby?" S.

Per Elmsäter
October 10th 03, 09:47 PM
miles todd wrote:
> bomba wrote:
>> After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
>> I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which
>> starts tomorrow).
>>
>> Anyone else?
>>
> Here's how it is going to go: After a tough, long struggle some great
> team will come in second. And the Kiwis, of course, will come in
> first.
>
> At least, if it is like every other year since time began.

Why does this only happen every other year?

--
Perre

Westie
October 11th 03, 03:00 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:45:23 +0000, Sorni wrote:
>
> >> I consulted the crystal ball and England will meet France in one semi
> > final
> >> and Australia will meet New Zealand in the other.
> >
> > France will concede defeat in the first or second round. It's what they
do
> > best.
>
> Yeah, but Germany aren't there, so they should be fine. Actually, the
> French play USA on Oct 31st, which should be entertaining - see who flies
> the white flag in that game.
>
> > Bill "there's a Rugby World Cup?!?" S.
>
> Of course, and you'll never guess who scored the first points...
> http://www.scrum.com/news/news_detail.asp?newsid=4209

Well done. :-))
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Westie
October 11th 03, 03:01 AM
"Sorni" > wrote in message
> "bomba" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:45:23 +0000, Sorni wrote:
> >
> > > Bill "there's a Rugby World Cup?!?" S.
> >
> > Of course, and you'll never guess who scored the first points...
> > http://www.scrum.com/news/news_detail.asp?newsid=4209
>
> No wonder you've got those scarred-up tree-trunks you call legs :)
>
> Bill "is there women's rugby?" S.

Yeah, there is. But it's not pretty.
In more ways than the obvious.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

bomba
October 11th 03, 09:27 AM
Westie wrote:

>>Bill "is there women's rugby?" S.
>

> Yeah, there is. But it's not pretty.
> In more ways than the obvious.

Not all women rugby players are munters. I used to coach the women's
team at uni and there were some tidy girls in the squad. Actually, I
briefly dated the hooker...

Stephen Baker
October 11th 03, 11:26 AM
bomba says:

> Actually, I
>briefly dated the hooker...

Was there any other choice?.....

Westie
October 11th 03, 01:21 PM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> Westie wrote:
>
> >>Bill "is there women's rugby?" S.
> >

> > Yeah, there is. But it's not pretty.
> > In more ways than the obvious.
>
> Not all women rugby players are munters. I used to coach the women's
> team at uni and there were some tidy girls in the squad. Actually, I
> briefly dated the hooker...

The hooker, eh? That's be like shooting fish in a barrel commenting about
that.
You're right. There are some tidy girls in the squads. Although in my
experience they are far and few between...
But of course sportsmanship is more important than some shallow and sexist
comments about the attractiveness of the team members! ;-)
(Funny how my g/f is always interested in rugby because of the shorts...)
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

All Blacks: 70
Italy: 7

ouch
October 11th 03, 03:34 PM
>After your success at predicting the winners of the footie World Cup,
>I'm wondering who you're tipping for the Rugby World Cup (which starts
>tomorrow).
>
>Anyone else?

Engalaaand!

Have you noticed that the France and England (not sure about others)
are wearing tops that almost look like cycling jerseys?

bomba
October 11th 03, 04:52 PM
ouch wrote:

>>Anyone else?
>

> Engalaaand!
>
> Have you noticed that the France and England (not sure about others)
> are wearing tops that almost look like cycling jerseys?

They started wearing those a couple of months back. They're made by
Nike, so that means South Africa will probably be wearing them too.

Westie
October 12th 03, 04:20 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> ouch wrote:
>
> >>Anyone else?
> >

> > Engalaaand!
> >
> > Have you noticed that the France and England (not sure about others)
> > are wearing tops that almost look like cycling jerseys?
>
> They started wearing those a couple of months back. They're made by
> Nike, so that means South Africa will probably be wearing them too.

The reasoning behind these jerseys is that the trim and streamlined fit and
the new slippery material makes it more difficult for the opposition to grab
a handful of jersey while tackling you.

Interestingly the only thing that they did for the All Blacks when they
trialled them was to rip at a moment's notice. The material came apart
easily. I guess that's one way of getting out of a tackle even if it wasn't
the intended that way. Apparently Nike Germany that developed these jerseys
was 'looking into it'.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

ouch
October 12th 03, 10:49 AM
<snip snip>
>Interestingly the only thing that they did for the All Blacks when they
>trialled them was to rip at a moment's notice. The material came apart
>easily. I guess that's one way of getting out of a tackle even if it wasn't
>the intended that way. Apparently Nike Germany that developed these jerseys
>was 'looking into it'.

Well, rumour has it that the next 'in' strip will be much like the old
Star Trek, love-handle hugging tops like Captain Kirk used to wear.

Graham Haller
October 12th 03, 08:18 PM
<ouch> wrote in message ...
> <snip snip>
> >Interestingly the only thing that they did for the All Blacks when they
> >trialled them was to rip at a moment's notice. The material came apart
> >easily. I guess that's one way of getting out of a tackle even if it
wasn't
> >the intended that way. Apparently Nike Germany that developed these
jerseys
> >was 'looking into it'.
>
> Well, rumour has it that the next 'in' strip will be much like the old
> Star Trek, love-handle hugging tops like Captain Kirk used to wear.

That's totally illogical captain!!!!

Slacker
October 12th 03, 09:54 PM
> > Well, rumour has it that the next 'in' strip will be much like the old
> > Star Trek, love-handle hugging tops like Captain Kirk used to wear.
>
> That's totally illogical captain!!!!

And here's a picture of Spok (pre-op)
http://www.nabou.com/celebrities/angelina_jolie/photo_galleries/hackers/hackers_5.jpg

and post-op http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~gavoille/img/spok.jpg
--
Slacker

Shaun Rimmer
October 13th 03, 11:54 AM
"bomba" > wrote in message

<we didn't need those words>

> Actually, I
> briefly dated the hooker...

Heheheheh.......heheheheheh..........heheheheheheh !

Shaun aRe.....heheheheheh!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home