PDA

View Full Version : Headtube or headset sticking ?

October 9th 03, 10:21 PM
G'day,

When I push forward on my bars with the front brake on hard the
steerer/headset/head tube sticks. When I pull back it releases then sticks
on the frame side.

How can that be fixed ?

It's done it for a while but I'm not sure which part to lube. The headset is
a needle bearing sealed cartridge and there are 3 stem spacers at the top.
I've tried tightening and loosening the stem retaining bolts but it seems
lower down near the bottom part of the headset.

Help me with my sticky clicking bits please !

--
Tony

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

October 9th 03, 10:24 PM
Oh yeah, it's a threadless stem going into a set of Marzocchi Z.2's

--
Tony

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

John Morgan
October 9th 03, 11:28 PM
> Help me with my sticky clicking bits please !

mmhmm.

-John Morgan

Sir Ride-A-Lot
October 10th 03, 01:33 AM
I've got the same problem with a ringle headset and a psylo.

"><((((º>" > wrote in message
> G'day,
>
> When I push forward on my bars with the front brake on hard the
> steerer/headset/head tube sticks. When I pull back it releases then sticks
> on the frame side.
>
> How can that be fixed ?
>
> It's done it for a while but I'm not sure which part to lube. The headset
is
> a needle bearing sealed cartridge and there are 3 stem spacers at the top.
> I've tried tightening and loosening the stem retaining bolts but it seems
> lower down near the bottom part of the headset.
>
> Help me with my sticky clicking bits please !
>
> --
> Tony
>

> Remove the fish to reply
> --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--
>
> `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

October 10th 03, 08:19 AM
Wow that's weird I just did a google search and I asked this question about
2 years ago too !

--
Tony

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

bomba
October 10th 03, 08:44 AM
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:21:01 +1100, ><((((º> wrote:

> G'day,
>
> When I push forward on my bars with the front brake on hard the
> steerer/headset/head tube sticks. When I pull back it releases then sticks
> on the frame side.
>
> How can that be fixed ?
>
> It's done it for a while but I'm not sure which part to lube. The headset is
> a needle bearing sealed cartridge and there are 3 stem spacers at the top.
> I've tried tightening and loosening the stem retaining bolts but it seems
> lower down near the bottom part of the headset.

To tighten a loose headset, you need to loosen the stem bolts on the side
of the stem. Then tighten the bolt that goes through the top. Then do
the stem bolts up again.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

bomba
October 10th 03, 08:44 AM
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:19:46 +1100, ><((((º> wrote:

> Wow that's weird I just did a google search and I asked this question about
> 2 years ago too !

If you've had this problem for the last two years, then there's a
possibility that you've flared your headtube.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

October 10th 03, 09:23 AM
It's the top part of the aheadset that's slipping, the cup that attaches to
the headtube. It's moving about 1/2 a mm or so. Can that be tightened if the
headtube is still square ?

I haven't ridden my MTB for ages since I got the road bike hence the reason
for the same question 2 years apart.

--

"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:21:01 +1100, ><((((º> wrote:
>
> > G'day,
> >
> > When I push forward on my bars with the front brake on hard the
> > steerer/headset/head tube sticks. When I pull back it releases then
sticks
> > on the frame side.
> >
> > How can that be fixed ?
> >
> > It's done it for a while but I'm not sure which part to lube. The
headset is
> > a needle bearing sealed cartridge and there are 3 stem spacers at the
top.
> > I've tried tightening and loosening the stem retaining bolts but it
seems
> > lower down near the bottom part of the headset.
>
> To tighten a loose headset, you need to loosen the stem bolts on the side
> of the stem. Then tighten the bolt that goes through the top. Then do
> the stem bolts up again.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

October 10th 03, 09:27 AM
Ack !, I should add I've tightened the bolt that goes into the star nut so
much the seal on the headset is bent out of shape. Headset still moves under
stress.

The steerer has about 1-2 mm clearance at the top and the top cap isn't
rubbing on it as far as I can tell.

--
Tony

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

bomba
October 10th 03, 09:41 AM
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:23:12 +1100, ><((((º> wrote:

> It's the top part of the aheadset that's slipping, the cup that attaches to
> the headtube. It's moving about 1/2 a mm or so. Can that be tightened if the
> headtube is still square ?

The headset is all one unit. You tighten the whole thing rather than just
the top or bottom sections. There should be no back and forth movement in
the headset at all, and should be easy to tighten.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

bomba
October 10th 03, 09:42 AM
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:27:43 +1100, ><((((º> wrote:

> Ack !, I should add I've tightened the bolt that goes into the star nut so
> much the seal on the headset is bent out of shape. Headset still moves under
> stress.

If you've tightened it that much, you may well have damaged the bearings
and / or the cups. If this is the case, it could well account for
movement.

> The steerer has about 1-2 mm clearance at the top and the top cap isn't
> rubbing on it as far as I can tell.

The stem should sit proud from the steerer tube, not the other way round:
http://www.parktool.com/images/repair_help/fork11.jpg

All in all, it sounds like a bit of a mess. Might be time to take it to
the LBS.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

October 10th 03, 10:02 AM
It's time for the LBS mechanic to take a look that's for sure.

Thanks for the help Bomba.

Keep on rollin' !

--

"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:23:12 +1100, ><((((º> wrote:
>
> > It's the top part of the aheadset that's slipping, the cup that attaches
> > the headtube. It's moving about 1/2 a mm or so. Can that be tightened if
the
> > headtube is still square ?
>
> The headset is all one unit. You tighten the whole thing rather than just
> the top or bottom sections. There should be no back and forth movement in
> the headset at all, and should be easy to tighten.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

October 10th 03, 11:30 PM
Thankfully it's not an integrated headset. I'd be royally ****ed off if it
was !

--
Tony

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
"Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
.. .

> You probably need a new headset, a stock headset only lasts me about 6
> months, get a new one in the $30-$50 range and it will last a lot
> longer. If it's only of those garbage integrated headsets well you
> might be screwed.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

October 13th 03, 09:45 AM
I've now learnt how to pull apart a threadless headset, and I've sorted out
the problem. It turned out that the bearing cup had been packed full of mud
etc and a little rust. There was bugger all else the headset could do under
pressure, but stick.

Now that it's all greased up and cleaned there's no stickiness.

Should have learnt how to do it 2 years ago when I originally got stuck.

Oh well.

:)

--
Tony