PDA

View Full Version : SIDIS and Slickrock

JMK
October 15th 03, 07:58 PM
I finally totally trashed my Shimano SPD mtb shoes/pedals(535s-I
think) (circa 1990). They were a gallant combo. They had been
exclusively a Moab team for the last three years. Took a impressive
amount of beating but, the pedals didn't like the sand very much.
I have been using SIDI Actions/959s routinely, which fit wonderfully
and work well, respectively, here in Michigan. But, I don't feel the
SIDIs soles are 'grippey' enough (even with the SRS feature) for the
slickrock like the Shimanos were. Besides they are $$$ for slickrock
trashing.
For next spring's Moab adventure I need a little advice. Do any of
the SIDIs have a soft grip sole? ...so I don't commit suicide when I
make my wimpy 'dabs' at Moab. I haven't been able to get any hands-on
time with Rampas. They seem reasonably priced on the web. If not....
I'll just try some other brands here, locally.
Also, as long as I am taking up people's time..., any experience
with the Crank Bros Candy SLs? They seem well suited for Moab. My
959s don't like rock hits very much (my shoes suddenly become
unclipped).
Thanx

Carla A-G
October 15th 03, 08:16 PM
"JMK" > wrote in message
om...
> I finally totally trashed my Shimano SPD mtb shoes/pedals(535s-I
> think) (circa 1990). They were a gallant combo. They had been
> exclusively a Moab team for the last three years. Took a impressive
> amount of beating but, the pedals didn't like the sand very much.
> I have been using SIDI Actions/959s routinely, which fit wonderfully
> and work well, respectively, here in Michigan. But, I don't feel the
> SIDIs soles are 'grippey' enough (even with the SRS feature) for the
> slickrock like the Shimanos were. Besides they are $$$ for slickrock
> trashing.
> For next spring's Moab adventure I need a little advice. Do any of
> the SIDIs have a soft grip sole? ...so I don't commit suicide when I
> make my wimpy 'dabs' at Moab. I haven't been able to get any hands-on
> time with Rampas. They seem reasonably priced on the web. If not....
> I'll just try some other brands here, locally.
> Also, as long as I am taking up people's time..., any experience
> with the Crank Bros Candy SLs? They seem well suited for Moab. My
> 959s don't like rock hits very much (my shoes suddenly become
> unclipped).
> Thanx

I use a pair of Rampa's, but they don't have the sticky rubber soles that
you seek, its more like a hard plastic, they absolutely will give you no
grip on a rocky surface, most of SIDI's line is like that too. Have a look
at Shimano's and Specialized's offerings, many of their shoes have grippier
rubber sole bottoms.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Gary in VA
October 16th 03, 01:10 AM
"JMK" > wrote in message
om...
> Also, as long as I am taking up people's time..., any experience
> with the Crank Bros Candy SLs? They seem well suited for Moab. My
> 959s don't like rock hits very much (my shoes suddenly become
> unclipped).

I'm riding both the Candys and the Mallets. Both have been great for me. I
was riding ATACs before and had problems unclipping with my left foot. Guess
my left ankle doesn't rotate as much. Going over to the Candys did the job.
Several people have said they have problems with rock strikes causing you to
unclip with Crank Bros Eggbeaters because if you hit the bars on the bottom
it opens up the bars on the top. Haven't had that problem myself.

Gary in VA

supabonbon
October 16th 03, 02:55 PM
(JMK) wrote in message >...
> I finally totally trashed my Shimano SPD mtb shoes/pedals(535s-I
> think) (circa 1990). They were a gallant combo. They had been
> exclusively a Moab team for the last three years. Took a impressive
> amount of beating but, the pedals didn't like the sand very much.
> I have been using SIDI Actions/959s routinely, which fit wonderfully
> and work well, respectively, here in Michigan. But, I don't feel the
> SIDIs soles are 'grippey' enough (even with the SRS feature) for the
> slickrock like the Shimanos were. Besides they are $$$ for slickrock
> trashing.
> For next spring's Moab adventure I need a little advice. Do any of
> the SIDIs have a soft grip sole? ...so I don't commit suicide when I
> make my wimpy 'dabs' at Moab. I haven't been able to get any hands-on
> time with Rampas. They seem reasonably priced on the web. If not....
> I'll just try some other brands here, locally.
> Also, as long as I am taking up people's time..., any experience
> with the Crank Bros Candy SLs? They seem well suited for Moab. My
> 959s don't like rock hits very much (my shoes suddenly become
> unclipped).
> Thanx

I don't remember my Sidis being much of a problem on slickrock, but my
soft, grippy, brand new Continentals were worn down to a nub. If you
got caught up in the 'racing slick' fad of a few years ago, bring it
along.
/s

JD
October 16th 03, 09:12 PM
(JMK) wrote in message >...
<snip a fine example of why I avoid Mohab>

I've never heard of anyone dying on Slickrock because their GRS-soled
shoes made them slip.

JD

SkaredShtles
October 18th 03, 05:48 AM
(JMK) wrote in news:ee9e5304.0310151058.6a0531e7
@posting.google.com:

<snip>
> For next spring's Moab adventure I need a little advice. Do any of
> the SIDIs have a soft grip sole? ...so I don't commit suicide when I
> make my wimpy 'dabs' at Moab.

I'd say you should take the SIDIs and consider it "incentive" not to dab at
Slickrock.

-S.S.-

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home