PDA

View Full Version : Wellgo B-27, rebuildable?

ratherbekayaking
August 19th 03, 08:20 PM
Well, I killed mine. While riding around town, one of the pedals fell
off, so you can imagine how bad I let them get. I can't seem to find a
rebuild kit, nor the size bearings/bushing. The original bearings are
disintigrated on both pedals so I have nothing to compare to.

I did searches but wasn't able to find any info even though I kinda
remember it being here.

Anyone able to help me?

Yeah, I will smarter this time. :rolleyes:

Ed Hansen

--
ratherbekayaking - Level 3, minus the stomach thing

"Some people are born to lift heavy weights. Some are born to juggle
with golden balls." (Max Beerbohm)
ratherbekayaking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2330

john_childs
August 19th 03, 08:55 PM
All you'll need for the rebuild is grease and replacement bearings.

The bearings are size 686ZZ
13mm OD
6mm ID
5mm wide

You can get replacement bearings from
'bocabearings.com' (http://www.bocabearings.com/)
or from your local bike shop. The 686ZZ bearing size is very common for
platform pedals. The "ZZ" means that the bearing has metal shields on
both sides of the bearing.

Here is a thread that shows all the pieces of the B-27 pedal:
'The best muni pedals ever just got taken apart!'
(http://tinyurl.com/alnf)

If you have lost or damaged the end cap (the part labeled 6mm allen in
the above thread) then you're probably SOL. I don't think you can get a
replacement for that part.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

ratherbekayaking
August 20th 03, 01:03 AM
Thanks fo for your time and info John. I can probably pick that up
tomorrow in Salida. My 6mm hex end caps are still there. Only thing
that died was the bearings. Probably buy a few extras, for, you know,
just in case... :)

--
ratherbekayaking - Level 3, minus the stomach thing

"Some people are born to lift heavy weights. Some are born to juggle
with golden balls." (Max Beerbohm)
ratherbekayaking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2330

john_childs
August 20th 03, 01:24 AM
Platform pedals put side loads on the cartridge bearings which cause the
bearings to fall apart. Cartridge bearings are not designed for side
loads. Keeping the end caps on the pedals snug will help to keep the
bearings healthy longer, but it's still a loosing cause. Eventually the
bearings will fall apart. If the end caps are tight and you still have
excessive play in the pedal then the bearings are probably about to fall
apart.

I had a bearing fail on one of my muni pedals just two weeks ago. I
took the muni out of the car, jumped on, did a few little jumps to get
warmed up and then crack, click, click, click, click... The ride that
day was over before I even got out of the parking lot. I stole the
bearings out of a spare set of Wellgo B-27's that I have so I could get
my pedal working again. Now I've got to get some new bearings. I'll
get a few extras so I have some on hand for the next time this happens.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Google